Ninja 250 to start on. - Page 2 - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Bikes & Hogs

Old 04-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #21
3gEclipseRS
Hemi Baby

3gEclipseRS is on a distinguished road
Im also looking at getting a bike. I've been considering the Ninja 500R, Suzuki GS500F, but am starting to lean towards maybe the Katana 600 seeing as how its a little bit more powerful and sporty looking and just maybe a few hundred more dollars than the ninja and GS.
3gEclipseRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #22
NDuggs
Tits

NDuggs has a spectacular aura aboutNDuggs has a spectacular aura aboutNDuggs has a spectacular aura aboutNDuggs has a spectacular aura aboutNDuggs has a spectacular aura aboutNDuggs has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang99gtv8 View Post
Thats what i am thinking. All of my friends have 600 and 750's, and I know starting out they will get my to push it further than I want, i can just see doing that on a 600. On top of that the gas mileage sounds freaking amazing right now, being used to 9 MPG and 100 a week or more in gas sucks.
Do what you want, but a 250 has horrible resale value and is hardly cheaper. But in your case, better safe than sorry I guess.

RB Powered 89' coupe
NDuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #23
coolnick
is a ricer

coolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud of
There is a reason why there is a girl in the ad.

And people get dead on bikes when cars run them over, or they don't wear a helmet. The 250 will go just as fast as any of the others it will just take it longer. If you know you are going to want more bike buy more bike now and don't be an idiot. If you honestly think you can't refrain from being an idiot now I don't think you should buy a bike. Why will you be able to refrain from being an idiot in the future when you know how to ride? Your own reasoning sucks.

Even if you are just being a brokedick you are going to lose money when you try to sell the stupid thing.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #24
stang99gtv8
Bang Bang

stang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnick View Post
There is a reason why there is a girl in the ad.

And people get dead on bikes when cars run them over, or they don't wear a helmet. The 250 will go just as fast as any of the others it will just take it longer. If you know you are going to want more bike buy more bike now and don't be an idiot. If you honestly think you can't refrain from being an idiot now I don't think you should buy a bike. Why will you be able to refrain from being an idiot in the future when you know how to ride? Your own reasoning sucks.

Even if you are just being a brokedick you are going to lose money when you try to sell the stupid thing.
Wow in being a total dipshit in the response I guess i'll take the valid points out of it. the reason would be to buy something to learn well on now then go up to something bigger before starting on something I wouldn't be able to control if I tried to push it having 0 experience. Just a train of thought, and is the same one I would see in not giving a 16 year old a corvette for the first thing they ever drive. I am not saying I would be a dipshit on a 600, I just would hate to make a mistake that on a 600 would end up in a wheelie straight up where a 250 could possibly be more forgiving while learning to ride.

On a second note I am also finding some ninja 500's as a possibility. They seem to have a good mix of power while still being a lower cost and not a full fleged racing intended bike. Anyone every ride one of these?

R.I.P. Hot Rod - Ahmed - Colt45
stang99gtv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #25
coolnick
is a ricer

coolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud of
It's kind of like me taking the Vette to Mid Oh in the rain for my first time ever really driving the car. I could have done what the other Vette driver did and totalled the car in the wall, or I could use a little common sense and not floor it. Look at the prices of low mile barely used 250s and see if you still think it is a good idea. I would just get the bike you want in the end and ride it with respect.

Less dipshit for you?

coolnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #26
stang99gtv8
Bang Bang

stang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nice
Quote:
It's kind of like me taking the Vette to Mid Oh in the rain for my first time ever really driving the car. I could have done what the other Vette driver did and totalled the car in the wall, or I could use a little common sense and not floor it. Look at the prices of low mile barely used 250s and see if you still think it is a good idea. I would just get the bike you want in the end and ride it with respect.

Less dipshit for you?
A little less yes dipshit yes.

Was that the first time you ever took any car out to drive? if you did that on the first time you ever drove a car I would say that was really stupid. First time driving THAT car and it's different. This would be the first riding really on a bike for me of any kind. I have been looking at the prices and finding a used one for around 1500-2000 seems pretty reasonable and they seem to hold that price pretty well through the different years. I don't see any harm in buying one for 1800 or so and selling it in a year for 1600 then getting what I want. Not trying to justify or start anything, just saying an argument based on price really isn't a good one considering at max they are 3200 new and least 1000 used and in good shape. Not really that big of a difference spanning around 15 years or more.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #27
Hot Rod
The Emperor

Hot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Hot Rod
To be perfectly honest I've been down my fair share of times and all of them had absolutely nothing to do with the power of the bike. As long as you respect the bike and learn proper throttle control for the power you have you'll be alright in that sense. In terms of cornering, well if you're pushing it you're asking for... and sometimes when you're not asking for it too.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #28
coolnick
is a ricer

It is safe to say we have covered all facets of this argument.

coolnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #29
stang99gtv8
Bang Bang

Quote:
It is safe to say we have covered all facets of this argument.
I'll agree, besides I like the other beginner riding thread better anyways.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #30
unvc92camarors
1,000 posts club

unvc92camarors is on a distinguished roadunvc92camarors is on a distinguished road
My point is this: what would you rather have your child start out on- a new Z06 or a used Toyota Camry? People's obsession with power on bikes is amazing. I agree that you might outgrow the 250 soon enough, but they still are decent bikes. If you felt you needed anything more, just get a 500. And whoever said the 250s don't hold their value well is fu**ing retarded. Look at any 250 on craigslist and they still go for above 2 grand easy, even being 5+ years old.

1988 Kawasaki ZX600- Custom paint- SOLD
1995 Chevrolet Cavalier A4- Hawaiian Orchid- SOLD

Only 2 doors on each...the way a car should be
unvc92camarors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #31
Blue99fbody
zip em up!

Blue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Blue99fbody
if your looking for a good way to come out of the closet 250 would be perfect, or you could nut up and get a real bike you could get a 1000 (mine preferably) and be fine its not a two stroke you dont have to keep it wound up all the time. you would be so afraid of it you wouldnt get in it anyway, its all in what your right hand does. you would at least look cool. and when you get good you will realize there is no bigger rush than being on 1 wheel at 140 or better.

98 SS m6
99 Z28 nbm m6
09 Trailblazer SS
11 silverado ccsb 6.2
03 ZX-6R 636
01 ktm 300exc
32' baja twin 454s
www.dolce-vita-photography.com
Blue99fbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #32
ftblplyr46
CSS adict

ftblplyr46 is just really niceftblplyr46 is just really niceftblplyr46 is just really niceftblplyr46 is just really niceftblplyr46 is just really niceftblplyr46 is just really niceftblplyr46 is just really niceftblplyr46 is just really niceftblplyr46 is just really niceftblplyr46 is just really niceftblplyr46 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to ftblplyr46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Vette View Post
You will outgrow the bike in skill and desire in 2 weeks.

DON'T do it. Get an old 600 or 750.

I just took the Motorcycle Safety Course, and they use 250's to do their range riding on. They are turds. Granted, I loved the class, and did learn some stuff, but you will outgrow in a very short amount of time like said. My advice, take the safety course, then decide if you want to still stay on a 250, or go ahead with the 600. I would start on the 600. I started on my current R6, and glad I did. Take the Motorcycle Safety Course, and you wont even consider a 250, trust me.

Last edited by ftblplyr46; 04-15-2008 at 07:02 PM..
ftblplyr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #33
Hot Rod
The Emperor

Hot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Hot Rod
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftblplyr46 View Post
I just took the Motorcycle Safety Course, and they use 250's to do their range riding on. They are turds. Granted, I loved the class, and did learn some stuff, but you will outgrow in a very short amount of time like said. My advice, take the safety course, then decide if you want to still stay on a 250, or go ahead with the 600. I would start on the 600. I started on my current R6, and glad I did. Take the Motorcycle Safety Course, and you wont even consider a 250, trust me.
Best idea so far...
Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #34
fortenac
MX-6er

fortenac is on a distinguished road
Hey ftblplyr46, where did you take the Motorcycle Safety Course at? I've been wanting to take it but wasn't sure where to take it at. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Doe View Post
Its is now proven with that post, that you are retarded. Not figuratively retarded, but literally retarded. Like your brain does not function properly. Rational thought is not possible within your head.
fortenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:30 PM   #35
quadturbopower

quadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nice
fortenac, I went to one of the oaks, and it was very cheap. you just have to sign up for the class as soon as they open up. it was a good deal to get my motorcycle endorsement.

If you are looking to get a bike, I am definently going to have to agree with everybody saying get about a 500 or bigger. Too much power isn't really going to be an issue. The biggest issue is probably going to be coordination. Just take it easy until you are comfortable doing more. Ride around a neighborhood or parking lot, and get familiar with your bike. I think you would be happier with a little bit bigger bike. You can pick up a decent 600cc bike on craigslist for a pretty good price, just keep your eye out and call on them right away as the good deals usually go pretty fast. I think you would regret getting anything much smaller unless you just really don't care about speed at all since as posted before, the 250cc bikes resemble a scooter if you want to compare power
Old 04-16-2008, 12:14 AM   #36
R/T
Violent Accelerator

R/T will become famous soon enoughR/T will become famous soon enoughR/T will become famous soon enough
I rebuilt an 88 Ninja 250 for a coworker a while back, it was a BLAST to ride.
I might not have one for an only bike; but the '08's are badass...

1989 LeBaron GTS Turbo II/555 5speed < 1 of 268
1991 Shadow ES 2.5 Turbo 5 speed Convert
1987 LeBaron 2.2 Turbo 5 speed Coupe
GS1428 Car Tire Bike 8.85 @ 145
Yamahammer RZ350 Drag 11.45 @ 112
Honduh Hawk GT Roadracer

Serious Wood II....
R/T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #37
JIMI B
UNNATURAL ASPIRATIONS

JIMI B has a spectacular aura aboutJIMI B has a spectacular aura aboutJIMI B has a spectacular aura aboutJIMI B has a spectacular aura aboutJIMI B has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to JIMI B Send a message via MSN to JIMI B Send a message via Yahoo to JIMI B
Most of the people I know that ride say dont buy a 600 because you will grow out of it. The new 600s are bad ass tho. I have a little bit of riding experience. I grew up on dirt bikes, then rode a ninja 600 maybe wen I was 21 or so a couple times. In 05 I got on a friends brand new gixxer 1000 and with in 5 minutes of driving I got on the highway and there was a tt porsche. That was the end of taking it easy. Took it well into triple digits. However I wouldn dear go wot in 1 2 or possibly 3. Last year i jumped on a friends brand new gixxer 600 and ran all the way thru 1st thru 4th wot for the most part. with maybe 100 miles scattered over 8 years of riding. I mean literally had not been on a bike for a couple years, (the very little I had) and was riding 30 seconds before I went thru gears like that.

In short dont buy the 600 let alone the 250. Unless price is an issue, then do what ever you can do to get on 2 wheels. Save some money and trade up.

Full Engine Machine/Assembly Shop and Speed Parts
513-544-2177

www.allinracingengines.com
www.facebook.com/ALLINRACINGENGINES
JIMI B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #38
stang99gtv8
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMI B View Post
In short dont buy the 600 let alone the 250. Unless price is an issue, then do what ever you can do to get on 2 wheels. Save some money and trade up.
I like that quote, whatever you cna to get on two wheels. Thats my ultimate goal lol.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #39
JIMI B
UNNATURAL ASPIRATIONS

JIMI B has a spectacular aura aboutJIMI B has a spectacular aura aboutJIMI B has a spectacular aura aboutJIMI B has a spectacular aura aboutJIMI B has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to JIMI B Send a message via MSN to JIMI B Send a message via Yahoo to JIMI B
Yeah man.. Its a blast. If I could afford every other toy and a bike, plus acquiring all the other things I shoud be at my age I would have one no doubt. Its depressing as hell when all of your freinds are out riding and you cant even take your car out because its in pieces. And you watch them just jump on the bikes and go. After 20 years of racing every weekend my dad has been riding. He says its so nice just to jump on and go with little maitainence. He is finally getting the racing bug back tho.
JIMI B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #40
bvorexx
OGC

bvorexx is on a distinguished road
if you really want to go cheap ass just to get the feel of being out on the road on a bike buy a old enduro and slap a plate on it, granted it is nothing at all like a true street bike it would get your confidence up around cars and what not if thats what you worried about. but defiantly 600 or bigger street wise. Like a lot of people have been saying, if you are meant to ride you will never have enough power to make you happy.