b18/b20 sensor question - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Honda / Acura Discussions

Old 07-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
ullBsorry
You all make me laugh

ullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the rough
b18/b20 sensor question
On the back of my b18a1 block there are two sensors. One is the oil pressure switch and to the left of it is another one (its green). What is the green one?

I swapped a b20 motor into my Teg and there is only one sensor that isnt hooked up and its that green one b/c on the bacl of the b20 block where that sensor should be there is a plug there instead of that sensor.

Assuming I have to take the plug out and put that sensor in there but I want to know what that sensor is for....
At least this idiot gets it
ullBsorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
hybridb18
1,000 posts club

hybridb18 is on a distinguished road
b18A or B18B?
hybridb18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
ullBsorry
You all make me laugh

ullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the rough
motor i pulled out was b18a1

Motor i put in is b20z i think...jdm version

Old 07-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
hybridb18
1,000 posts club

if its a 2 wire plug looking sensor, its a coolant temp. 94+ engines did not have them
Old 07-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
ullBsorry
You all make me laugh

ill post up a pic tomorrow but the more research i do the more it looks like its a knock sensor. coolant temp is up front on the head
Old 07-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
meatmarket
Wheel Man

meatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the rough
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/sensors/ks.jpg knock sensor

green plug fan switch, other sensor is the oil sending unit- http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/487786/100_0168.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...mpsensor-2.jpg

Last edited by meatmarket; 07-24-2011 at 10:25 PM..
meatmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
ullBsorry
You all make me laugh

Looks like its the engine oil tempp switch...that link was exactly what I needed assuming that is for a b18!1?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
meatmarket
Wheel Man

meatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the rough
indeed!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 AM   #9
Mista Bone
Mistake Boner

Mista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to all
coolant fan switch, was moved to thermostat housing for 92+ Civics and 94+ tegs.

The 92-93 B18B1's which were OBD-1 I'm not sure about.

Just extend the two wires to the thermostat housing coolant fan switch.

Mista Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
ullBsorry
You all make me laugh

This is what the sensor looks like

Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
meatmarket
Wheel Man

right on
Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
hybridb18
1,000 posts club

coolant temp, has 2 pins on the plug. Knock sensor only has 1 pin on the plug. Both are green. The one in the picture is a coolant temp

Last edited by hybridb18; 07-25-2011 at 09:21 PM..
Old 07-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
ullBsorry
You all make me laugh

its not the coolant temp. when i pulled it out there was oil on it and after lookin up pics and etc its turing out to be the engine oil temp...

Went and pulled the codes that were being thrown last night and it looks like there are two codes. 5 & 7

5 is MAP sensor
7 is Throttle control position sensor.

Im using the b20 intake mani which is different from the b18a1 mani so Im gonna swap intake manis tonight and hopefully that'll fix the problem.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
ullBsorry
You all make me laugh

Found out finally about the sensor. Oil Temp Fan switch like its stated. USDM motors have them...JDM doesnt. Its for when the oil temp is still too high when the ignition is shut off that the fan will continue to run until the temp is lowered...so basiclly i dont need it.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #15
Mista Bone
Mistake Boner

Mista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ullBsorry View Post
Found out finally about the sensor. Oil Temp Fan switch like its stated. USDM motors have them...JDM doesnt. Its for when the oil temp is still too high when the ignition is shut off that the fan will continue to run until the temp is lowered...so basiclly i dont need it.
I've never heard of that. Fuck I learn something on CSS. Next thing you know I'll be getting an AARP membership......
Mista Bone is offline   Reply With Quote