Turn signal led resistor help - Page 2 - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Tech > Interior & Exterior Mods

Old 09-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #21
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtvickers View Post
Lol what does Smfh mean? Its not that big of a deal. Im sure I will figure it out. I think I may be using too small of a resistor. If its a 25w per socket system and I have 10w resistors I think I need more 50w resistors.

The wattage rating on resistors has nothing to do with what you are trying to accomplish. That is a rating of how much heat they can dissipate safely.

Edit, you got it.

Last edited by Kisor; 09-14-2012 at 01:41 PM..
Kisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #22
87poopra

87poopra will become famous soon enough87poopra will become famous soon enough87poopra will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 87poopra
When the resistance goes up in a circuit it causes the amperage to go down, and when the resistance goes down the amperage goes up. By putting the led lights in you caused the amperage in the light circuit to go up drastically, which is why you get the fast flash and the circuit sees this as an open in the circuit or a burned out bulb. Putting the resistor in parallel with the bulbs will drop the total resistance of the circuit and get your amperage back up to where it sees the load, the bulbs.
87poopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #23
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87poopra View Post
when the resistance goes up in a circuit it causes the amperage to go down, and when the resistance goes down the amperage goes up. By putting the led lights in you caused the amperage in the light circuit to go down drastically, which is why you get the fast flash and the circuit sees this as an open in the circuit or a burned out bulb. Putting the resistor in parallel with the bulbs will drop the total resistance of the circuit and get your amperage back up to where it sees the load, the bulbs.
ftfy

Old 09-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #24
87poopra

87poopra will become famous soon enough87poopra will become famous soon enough87poopra will become famous soon enough
Damn it I hate writing a lot in the quick reply box on mobile. Thanks for the correction
Old 09-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #25
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87poopra View Post
Damn it I hate writing a lot in the quick reply box on mobile. Thanks for the correction
I hate thinking about electricity... lol Half the "more" is actually more but some of it is really "less" but not really although its all about which direction you are thinking about it...... damnit.....

But this thread brought back a lot of things I forgot I knew. I use basic electrical diag in my day to day but haven't built circuits in quite a while.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #26
87poopra

Ha ha same here. You give me a schematic and a meter and I can fix the problem. But explaining it is confusing.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #27
droccm98

droccm98 is infamous around these partsdroccm98 is infamous around these parts
i tried led's cus my bulbs kept blowing, i dont know a thing about them so im stupid for trying but the led flasher didnt make them work, nor resistors so i ended up saying fuck it.
droccm98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #28
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by droccm98 View Post
i tried led's cus my bulbs kept blowing, i dont know a thing about them so im stupid for trying but the led flasher didnt make them work, nor resistors so i ended up saying fuck it.
I don't think this surprises anyone on CSS.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
bestracing
Someone took my Swingline

bestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura about
Kisor is 100% correct in his explanation on the resistance. Dunc, what I think you are trying to describe is if you make your own LED light you will need a load resistor in series to help lower the voltage drop across the LED's. After you make your LED panel you still have to wire a resistor across to increase the current draw to make the flasher work properly.

1986 Trans Am - just for cruising and having fun
bestracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #30
rtvickers
CSS newbie

rtvickers is infamous around these partsrtvickers is infamous around these parts
So I got the rest of the resistors today and installed them. Turn signals work correctly now. But there is another issue. While I didnt have the regular bulbs in the sockets and had the leds in there, the radio lights and the mileage display would go out when I was on the brake. Since Ive installed all the resistors it still does it and now it blinks when the turn signal is on. Any ideas? And thank you guys for the help with wiring up the resistors.
rtvickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #31
ForceFed
Fu(k (ivility

ForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to ForceFed
Sounds like its back feeding somewhere and will need diodes installed....that will be a bit trickier to figure out where to install based on the whole circuit, but I'd start by adding one at each 12 +
Feed to each combination lamp.
ForceFed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #32
rtvickers
CSS newbie

rtvickers is infamous around these partsrtvickers is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Sounds like its back feeding somewhere and will need diodes installed....that will be a bit trickier to figure out where to install based on the whole circuit, but I'd start by adding one at each 12 +<br>
Feed to each combination lamp.
What type of diode would you use.
rtvickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #33
coolnick
is a ricer

coolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtvickers View Post
What type of diode would you use.
One that is smarter than you.