Exhaust wrap vs ceramic coating - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > General Car Chat

Old 01-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

SloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to behold
Exhaust wrap vs ceramic coating
last year I was having overheating issues with the car. So keeping underhood temperatures down is a high priority for me. I'm trying to decide between wrapping the exhaust or having it ceramic coated.

Now I'm not talking about the flashy "coatings" that are around. I'm talking about a thick ceramic coating like Swaintech.

Price difference is pretty major.....~$50 vs ~$400. So is there a major advantage to the ceramic coating compared to wrapping.

Manifold is 304ss, and this is a rayscawr, so not concerned about it getting wet...so throw that corrosion talk out with the wrap.

Thoughts!?!
SloRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
evil8
Meatcurtains

evil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to all
Since you are super rich, I would do ceramic. I always hated wrap, and the insulating properties of the coating usually outperforms the wrap.
evil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
dsmawd350
6.x liter

dsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to dsmawd350
Are you running a turbo blanket as well? I could rest my hand on turbine with a good blanket
dsmawd350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

SloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to behold
Yea I'm not a big wrap fan either, but is it really worth the additional $$ for ceramic coating.

If I wrap it, I'll get a blanket. If I coat it, I'll get the turbine housing coated as well.

I'm really just trying to find some real technical data to back up the claims of either case. Everything I've found has just been a bunch of expert keyboard bangers giving their $.02 on which is better.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
grandmaGTP
shit dang

grandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of light
My blanket must suck then lol before i had the turbo rebuilt Kenny coated mine there was a big difference with the blanket on and now with just the blanket by itself, my other parts that are coated I saw a big difference in heat there after getting them done and only having wrap before.
grandmaGTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
Mista Bone
Mistake Boner

Mista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to all
Why not coat AND wrap?

Don't believe the myth either that wrapping a coated exhaust will make it rust faster.

Mista Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
YBE2FAST
Outsider

YBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the rough
My exhaust side of the Turbo is coated but its still hot as hell i cant touch it. Maybe coat the downpipe but just use a real good blanket for the Turbo
YBE2FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
JuicedH22
Best I know of

JuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JuicedH22
Tim, get it coated, it is worth it. It will look and function better. I would also get the blanket for the turbo. A blanket will offer additional heat absorptive capabilities over the ceramic coating in that case including radiative heat that would still transfer in a ceramic coated header.

I am the 53%
JuicedH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

you have any GE/NASA research to back that claim up!?!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
jfisher

jfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to jfisher Send a message via MSN to jfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bone View Post
Why not coat AND wrap?

Don't believe the myth either that wrapping a coated exhaust will make it rust faster.
It's not a "myth".... The wrap isn't what makes it rust faster. If the car is street driven the wrap traps moisture and dirt which is what ends up deteriorating the manifold.

2013 Cruze Eco 1.4T 6MT
1993 Mustang
2007 Yamaha R1
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
slvrbackls1
CSS regular

slvrbackls1 is a jewel in the roughslvrbackls1 is a jewel in the roughslvrbackls1 is a jewel in the roughslvrbackls1 is a jewel in the roughslvrbackls1 is a jewel in the roughslvrbackls1 is a jewel in the roughslvrbackls1 is a jewel in the rough
I was just going to wrap mine but if Juicey says to coat it then thats what im gonna do.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

WhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to behold
Is juicy buying?
WhiteT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
Mista Bone
Mistake Boner

Mista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher View Post
It's not a "myth".... The wrap isn't what makes it rust faster. If the car is street driven the wrap traps moisture and dirt which is what ends up deteriorating the manifold.
Like I said, a myth. 10+ years on a coated header that I wrapped, the rust was where the header wasn't wrapped. I then sold it to another CSS member and likely still in use.

You can see where the wrap ended due to all the pipes coming together and then where I wrapped the 4 pipes to the collector area.

The rusted area wasn't wrapped. The header was DD in all weather for 150k+ miles. It heats up and all the mositure is gone very quickly.

Last edited by Mista Bone; 01-24-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Mista Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

I'm not using some piece of shit mild steel ebay manifold.....so get this rust talk crap out of here!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
Ampypants
Man whore club

Ampypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Ampypants
If you are debating on spending the $400 just spend the extra $50 and do both....

I can tell you this...I have had coated headers and they still were hot to the touch...better than not coated....but still hot as hell..

I have touched a wrapped header after running and you can wrap your hand around it....I believe it was coated and wrapped though..
Old 01-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

I've pretty much decided the coatings aren't worth it compared to wrap other than being more aestetically (sp??) pleasing. The few places I've contacted will be anywhere from $400 to $600 with shipping.

$50 for header wrap and $170 for turbo blanket.....here I come.

Yes pumpkin (Jeffy).....i'm gonna WRAP IT!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
evil8
Meatcurtains

evil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to all
I would probably rap it.
evil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #18
9cobra4
Some say...

9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all
R-r-r-rap that shit.
9cobra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
jdredd
1,000 posts club

jdredd is on a distinguished road
We wrapped our manifolds, downpipe, crossover, dump tube, and blanket. Works really really well.

Coatings can range.. Cheap jobs are like 0.002" thickness.. decent jobs being 0.015" - 0.020" thickness.. maybe thicker..

Most wraps can be 0.060" thick, and you can double layer it. May not look as pretty as coating but it does its job well.

Our wrap job

I think we double layered the downpipe as it runs by the brake booster and
master cylinder... Underhood temps are decent, and after 1/4 run you can touch the blanket without an ER visit.
jdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #20
droccm98

droccm98 is infamous around these partsdroccm98 is infamous around these parts
Turbo 3.8!
droccm98 is offline   Reply With Quote