The time has come...KLZE powered 1G protege - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Mazda Discussions

Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Turpro

Turpro can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Turpro Send a message via MSN to Turpro Send a message via Yahoo to Turpro
The time has come...KLZE powered 1G protege
Hello once again all. I haven't been on for a while. Let me clarify, I haven't posted in a while. Lots of crap hapened to my protege since the last time. I sold off the turbo setup because I may have popped he motor. Thinking rings are shot. Still drives and runs fine just smokes a little when going wot. Its fine because I was looking to do an engine swap. Well I finally made up my mind

After selling the turbo parts I bought a pos rotting mx3 gs V6 model for parts. Car ran but had a bad headgasket. No sweat since that motor only had 6 more hp than the 4banger that is in the caar already. Well I parted what was still ok and made my money back and some and still have al the parts needed to do the v6 swap.

Well the other day I was scanning through some fs ads and came across a mx6 with a klze in it. I had to see it and make sure it was a true 200hp klzer because the price was dirt cheap. I met up with the guy and looked. Low and behold it was a true klze and it ran great. The car itself isn't so great but ita rust free and can be parted out or made into a daily if I put a jy motor in it. We'll see what happens later on.

I'll be updating this thread as progress happens. Wish me luck. And before anyone says it, I know 200hp isn't shit but its been proven by other protege ppl that just dropping the klze into this light car it will be automaticly a 13 second car. I don't plan on doing much but headers,intake,chipped ecu,phetos spacers and some small little things. As you all know anything more than 200hp in a fwd you'll start geting traction problems unless you get a lsd and slicks. This is just a fun hwy/street car so that will most likely never happen.

any kl tuners around here?? I may need a hand or advice since this is my 1st kl.
Turpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Ty.

Ty. has a spectacular aura aboutTy. has a spectacular aura aboutTy. has a spectacular aura aboutTy. has a spectacular aura aboutTy. has a spectacular aura aboutTy. has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Ty.
Its been years, but ive swapped in a ton of ZE's in probes back in the day.....

Email: ty@tcsmotorsports.com
AIM: tcsmotorsports
Ty. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Turpro

Send a message via AIM to Turpro Send a message via MSN to Turpro Send a message via Yahoo to Turpro
Is there any wiring differences? I'll be runnibg the mx3 engine harness but other than that was there any connections that needed to be changed,not used,ect?

Old 02-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
Tugboat
CSS adict

Tugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of light
I have 2 KL powered cars, one turbo, and one just an N/A daily driver...

I've worked on a bunch of these things over the last few years, I do believe the Mx3 harness will work.

Post this up on PT, I saw that you had a username over there.

Some 93 motors had a 3rd coolant sensor, on the coolant fill neck...that's the only weird plug that I remember.

Pinouts on the ecu are different for each year, cause Ford/Mazda is gay.

Oh, and for the record, I have 2 KL harnesses, if you need one. I also have all the wiring diagrams, and a full pinout sheet for each year's ecu.

Just let me know man.
my car when its done all motor will at the slowest run a mid 10 i'll put my title on that. i'm not building a stock motor or a street legal car. i'm building a real 4 cyl not like most of the kids that think when you throw a gsr or a single in a car with some headers and a chipped ecu it's fast.

Last edited by Tugboat; 02-03-2010 at 03:15 PM..
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
Turpro

I'll definetly keep that in mind. I am over on pt. Wouldn't mind meeting up sometime and picking your brain for kl info
Old 02-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
Roca Fella Bryan
You Mad?

Roca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpro View Post
Hello once again all. I haven't been on for a while. Let me clarify, I haven't posted in a while. Lots of crap hapened to my protege since the last time. I sold off the turbo setup because I may have popped he motor. Thinking rings are shot. Still drives and runs fine just smokes a little when going wot. Its fine because I was looking to do an engine swap. Well I finally made up my mind

After selling the turbo parts I bought a pos rotting mx3 gs V6 model for parts. Car ran but had a bad headgasket. No sweat since that motor only had 6 more hp than the 4banger that is in the caar already. Well I parted what was still ok and made my money back and some and still have al the parts needed to do the v6 swap.

Well the other day I was scanning through some fs ads and came across a mx6 with a klze in it. I had to see it and make sure it was a true 200hp klzer because the price was dirt cheap. I met up with the guy and looked. Low and behold it was a true klze and it ran great. The car itself isn't so great but ita rust free and can be parted out or made into a daily if I put a jy motor in it. We'll see what happens later on.

I'll be updating this thread as progress happens. Wish me luck. And before anyone says it, I know 200hp isn't shit but its been proven by other protege ppl that just dropping the klze into this light car it will be automaticly a 13 second car. I don't plan on doing much but headers,intake,chipped ecu,phetos spacers and some small little things. As you all know anything more than 200hp in a fwd you'll start geting traction problems unless you get a lsd and slicks. This is just a fun hwy/street car so that will most likely never happen.

any kl tuners around here?? I may need a hand or advice since this is my 1st kl.
Wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotjunk View Post
You're part of Middletown now, pal. Keep it up and your profit percentage from our newest meth lab will be revoked.
Roca Fella Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
yea.....^^
Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
Tugboat
CSS adict

Tugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of light
If you're gonna throw a ZE in that car, at least spray it, or maybe throw a cheap S/C kit on it?

You can EASILY put a clutched M62 (mercedes eaton s/c) right in the location that the A/C compressor goes with a bracket, run a switch, and it's clutched so it's not on all the time.

Your really only need a few cheap things to S/C, other than Megasquirt. I'm not sure how limited the space in your bay is, but yeah...

A stock KLZE is slow and boring. It's like putting a stock b16 in an Eg hatch. No fun in that.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
coolnick
is a ricer

coolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud of
Why would you bother doing this over the V6? I know the V6 is kind of weak, but it would definitely have more torque and that is what makes a light car fun. Back when I was into VWs I had a 2 liter 16v Jetta that I cammed, did a race header and a P&P head. It was really fun and revved forever. I thought it was the greatest thing of all time. Then I tossed a bone stock VR6 in the car and holy shit, totally different car. They both made around the same HP probably, but the torque made all the difference in the world. Torque is way more fun than revs on the street.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
Tugboat
CSS adict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnick View Post
Why would you bother doing this over the V6? I know the V6 is kind of weak, but it would definitely have more torque and that is what makes a light car fun. Back when I was into VWs I had a 2 liter 16v Jetta that I cammed, did a race header and a P&P head. It was really fun and revved forever. I thought it was the greatest thing of all time. Then I tossed a bone stock VR6 in the car and holy shit, totally different car. They both made around the same HP probably, but the torque made all the difference in the world. Torque is way more fun than revs on the street.
This is the V6, 2.5L v6, Nick.
Oh, and Turpro, I would suggest against the Pheno's, as I have had a few issues with IMG's blowing, or leaking...some people don't though. And pheno's are definitely bad for boost.

Oh, and if you have the straight neck KLZE IM, it likely wont fit under the hood, as with a lot of mx3 guys, etc...

You can use the curved neck eunos manifold, and lose a little bit of power, or just run hood spacers.

Straight;
http://home.comcast.net/~mmunoz70/z/zeegr01.jpg
Curved;
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...0125_large.jpg

Couple more things to think about;
Ze's have no EGR, so you need a plug for the headers
Also, JE50 vaf, and KL31/36 Ecu needed to run the correct VRIS points, or an eprom chip.
I would personally just run Megasquirt, and eliminate the need for the vaf, or that ecu in particular.
The reason I suggest against the stock ecu, is because a guy on the boards (stoker100), has been doing a lot of research with the eprom, and pulling info from the stock ecu's and has seen an extreme rich condition with the stock fuel maps, he said on 40psi( base fp, with stock injectors), 10:1 a/f ratios, and even with cranking the fpr down some, still 11.5:1 or so, megasquirt will alleviate that.

Oh, and when choosing a clutch combo, use a stock pp, with a nice disc, like the ACT 6 puck, or something full faced and strong, it takes away a lot of the chatter guys see with aftermarket clutch kits, and it helps save from breaking transmissions, when used with a "transmission saver" brace (Mbolin5 on PT sells them).

Last edited by Tugboat; 02-04-2010 at 02:29 PM..
Old 02-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
sohcthunder
Asshole By Nature(ABN)

sohcthunder is just really nicesohcthunder is just really nicesohcthunder is just really nicesohcthunder is just really nicesohcthunder is just really nicesohcthunder is just really nicesohcthunder is just really nicesohcthunder is just really nicesohcthunder is just really nicesohcthunder is just really nicesohcthunder is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to sohcthunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnick View Post
You really are getting old aren't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati View Post

Its guys that gas these bitches up and make them think its ok to be out of the kitchen. Next thing you know she is gonna be talking back and acting up in public
sohcthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:30 AM   #12
Turpro

Yea I've heard the war stories about the spacers. I had thought of running a millenia intake manifold or keep the straight neck and remote mount the brake master resivoir. Another bud is planning that out as he's going to run the straigh neck.

Also have had thoughts of a sc. Dan sac(from probetalk) is goign to be runnig 1 in his ze swapped 323. Might have to pick your brain for some info on that.

I have a je50 vaf and I think the mx6 has a cjipped ecu already because there's no cel. I'll have to pop the top off and look.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #13
Turpro

Oh and I have the lighter mx3 fly and pp. Going to look into an act 6 puck disk. There's a guy in flroida running that setup in flroida on an 11 second boosted kl mx3 and hasn't blown the glass G series trans yet. Seams to be the right combo

As for engine bay room, it won't be too to bad as I'm using all the moubts and crap from the mx3. Drop in swaps kick ass
Old 02-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #14
Tugboat
CSS adict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpro View Post
Oh and I have the lighter mx3 fly and pp. Going to look into an act 6 puck disk. There's a guy in flroida running that setup in flroida on an 11 second boosted kl mx3 and hasn't blown the glass G series trans yet. Seams to be the right combo

As for engine bay room, it won't be too to bad as I'm using all the moubts and crap from the mx3. Drop in swaps kick ass
Yep.

You sound like you have the right idea.
Hppdwn, yes. VERY fast car.
As far as the Millenia IM, just get the KLG4, and see if that fits.

And yeah Dan always is doing something different. Fitting the superchargers, is realln no more than a bracket down there, running a belt, and making a tensioner. Putting an S/C on these cars is relatively easy. Although I think you would be happier going turbo, to each his own.

Like I said prior, I do HIGHLY suggest Megasquirt, but if you cant get that, you AT LEAST have to have an AFPR, and an FMU, which sucks.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:31 AM   #15
Turpro

Yea I'm not trying to blow up the more expensive kl motor so ms might need to be done.

What psi are those sc set at? What injectors do you think I'd need? Milli S ones be enough?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #16
Tugboat
CSS adict

Well...

The S/C's, I've usually seen 6-8 psi on, depending on the pulley you are using, and which car they came off of.
The milli S injectors usually work alright for people on those boost levels.

As far as injectors, Milli S injectors are like 280cc I believe. Also, you can use Nissan injectors, which come in 280cc, and 370cc, I believe. As far as aftermarket injectors, you can get a set of 550's, or 740cc from someone like Deatschwerks, or Nismo, HKS, etc...Side feed Nissan injectors work in the motors, but with the nissan stuff, you need rails that have been bored out, to accept the injectors, and then use the nissan lower o-ring, and KL upper 7/8ths o-ring...

You can get the rails from Mbolin5, and he's actually doing his last bulk buy...so if that's something you're interested in, jump on it.

As far as injectors...check zilvia.com, and other s-chassis stuff, maybe get lucky and have someone upping the size of their injectors in an RB or something, because new, the injectors are pricey.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #17
Meeners
Angry African

Meeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Meeners
Chris, I'm so glad you are doing this... Hey since you bought the house your garage has turned into a car lot! LOL I did the same thing. I think you will be super happy with a KL powered Pro - Especially for daily. Turbo is great for a project car but IMO, if its a daily car N/A is best. I don't care what anyone else says... changing popped couplers and turbo trouble got on my got damn nerves.

It's been a while mang, I still haven't seen the new house yet. I talked to the wife on FB about coming by soon. Do I get dinner?!

Shift_Yo Paradigm Ma Fahka.
Meeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
Tugboat
CSS adict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtokesxx View Post
Chris, I'm so glad you are doing this... Hey since you bought the house your garage has turned into a car lot! LOL I did the same thing. I think you will be super happy with a KL powered Pro - Especially for daily. Turbo is great for a project car but IMO, if its a daily car N/A is best. I don't care what anyone else says... changing popped couplers and turbo trouble got on my got damn nerves.

It's been a while mang, I still haven't seen the new house yet. I talked to the wife on FB about coming by soon. Do I get dinner?!
I agree with the N/A thing, these motors are fucking finicky with boost.

I'd say you would be impressed with something like this;
KLZE motor
DE valvetrain, or SLA conversion from later 626's
Colt Camshafts (some require valvetrain upgrades, Interprep springs and retainers),
Also throw an oil pump, timing belt, water pump, etc on, just because it will be easier while the motor is out.
KLG4 intake manifold (makes more torque, and makes 2-3whp over ze, throughout entire powerband)
2.5" Exhaust.
Also, try to get ahold of some pacesetter style headers if possible.
Msn's.

Then you're done, and the car would easily make 200+whp. And with the SLA conversion, and cams, the car would rev to 8k+ without any issues, and make power up top too.

The reason i suggest SLA's, or possibly the DE valvetrain, is because ZE's are notorious for HLA's collapsing, and sticking valves open/dropping valves.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #19
Turpro

Thanks ameen. You're welcome to come by bro. Hell come this weekend and turn some wrenches with me lol

Damn tugboat, you're full of knowledge ha. I was told to change the valve springs and retainers to de ones. Quick question, are the k8 ones the same? Only reason I wondered about the sc is because IF later on I get tired of the ze power(which should be about the same power as the turbo'd bp setup I had) that would be perfect. 250whp is all I wanted to go. Anything more and I'll go a whole new diferection and make her a 4wd.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #20
TheDatsunKid
Common Sense My Anti-Rice

TheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to TheDatsunKid Send a message via Yahoo to TheDatsunKid
if you haven't already researched the forums it may be worth a glance at mx-3.com just to see what's out there as the mx-3 guys run the ZE quite regularly as well.