Any shifter rebuilders in area? - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > General Car Chat

Old 10-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
arachnyd

arachnyd is on a distinguished roadarachnyd is on a distinguished road
Any shifter rebuilders in area?
I brought my 2nd gen camaro in to a local shop, and they said my tranny was bad. I knew it wasn't, so I took it to another shop who said my shifters binding. Its a hurst comp shifter.

I bought another one and evidently its not the right one, but they don't have the knowlege to rebuild it.

Anyway, I see a lot of mail-away rebuilders of hurst shifters. Just wondering if anyone knows of any shops or individuals that can rebuild them in the area, as I don't think I can convince a shop to pull it, leave it there for 2 weeks while I send it away for a rebuild, and put it back in, and I hate to spend a few hundred bucks on a new one when I can spend $100-200 or so and get it rebuilt.

Its a 72 Munci M20 Tranny w/a 4spd hurst shifter.... but if all else fails I guess I'll just buy a new one....

Hate on.
2006 Suzuki LT-R 450
2005 Chevy Avalanche 1500 4x4 z71
1999 Corvette FRC Z06 Conversion
1980 Chevy Camaro Z28
Unfortunately sold in last year :( 11 Ram 1500, 2011 Camaro, 2010 Camaro SS bumblebee, 01 SLK 320, 1980 Jeep Cj7, 98 Ram 1500, 2 88 fieros

Last edited by arachnyd; 10-22-2013 at 12:51 PM..
arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Mista Bone
Mistake Boner

Mista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to all
Jegs :)

Mista Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Qwk
1,000 posts club

Qwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by arachnyd View Post
I brought my 2nd gen camaro in to a local shop, and they said my tranny was bad. I knew it wasn't, so I took it to another shop who said my shifters binding. Its a hurst comp shifter.

I bought another one and evidently its not the right one, but they don't have the knowlege to rebuild it.

Anyway, I see a lot of mail-away rebuilders of hurst shifters. Just wondering if anyone knows of any shops or individuals that can rebuild them in the area, as I don't think I can convince a shop to pull it, leave it there for 2 weeks while I send it away for a rebuild, and put it back in, and I hate to spend a few hundred bucks on a new one when I can spend $100-200 or so and get it rebuilt.

Its a 72 Munci M20 Tranny w/a 4spd hurst shifter.... but if all else fails I guess I'll just buy a new one....

Hate on.
Double check your part numbers.

70-72 Camaro, w or w/o console, Muncie...#391-6848 (shifter) #373-7897 (install kit)
Your bushings between the rods and shifter are probably wore out. Inspect them and if there is play, you will need #332-7302 to replace those bushings. Its a fairly easy fix and can be done in a driveway.
Qwk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
arachnyd

arachnyd is on a distinguished roadarachnyd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwk View Post
Double check your part numbers.

70-72 Camaro, w or w/o console, Muncie...#391-6848 (shifter) #373-7897 (install kit)
Your bushings between the rods and shifter are probably wore out. Inspect them and if there is play, you will need #332-7302 to replace those bushings. Its a fairly easy fix and can be done in a driveway.
Do you have to drop the transmission to get to it?

I'm going to go pick the car up today, but if I can get at the shifter without dropping the transmission (which was my assumption initially) then I'll do just that.

Thanks for the insight.
arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote