Fab guys - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Tech > Interior & Exterior Mods

Old 09-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
YBE2FAST
Outsider

YBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the rough
Fab guys
alright having issues with trying to figure out the best way to do this. I need some ideas or some help fabbing up the rear mounts for my 8.8.

Started with mounting the diff like this ^^

Wat the rear mounts look like installed on the diff

wat the diff lookes like installed in the subframe in the car....

Wat one of the two rear mounts looks like after a few WOT pulls and launches. Both mounts got tweaked to hell and back hopefully being the cause of my rediculous vibration I was recieving. (found the bent mounts when pulling them off while trying to find a cause of the vibration)

I'm thinking something similure to this would be stronger cause its one piece and has support horizontally as well as vertically.

overall goal is to not be doing this anymore plus the added bonus of having different gear choices.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appriciated,
Steven
05 GSXR 1000
YBE2FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Kevin Doe
Kevin Knows

Kevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Doe
You need to take a look at the explorer 8.8 cover.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
2Slo3oh
CSS newbie

2Slo3oh is on a distinguished road
not a fab guy by any means but why not get a diff cover made that can utilize the stock mounts location of supra
just a suggestion seems like it wouldn't be horribly intensive

Last edited by 2Slo3oh; 09-27-2011 at 10:42 PM..
2Slo3oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 05:09 AM   #4
YBE2FAST
Outsider

YBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Slo3oh View Post
not a fab guy by any means but why not get a diff cover made that can utilize the stock mounts location of supra
just a suggestion seems like it wouldn't be horribly intensive
did cost 1500 lol
Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
YBE2FAST
Outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Doe View Post
You need to take a look at the explorer 8.8 cover.
I may if all else fails but either way gotta fab up mounts so might as well use this. It's wat the big guys are running that have a 8.8 swap they just are very vague on how they mount it. If u have a idea on how to do it with that cover and make it strong ill pick one up if its easier and reliable

Last edited by YBE2FAST; 09-28-2011 at 06:35 AM..
Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
Kevin Doe
Kevin Knows

Kevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to behold
Look on my photobucket, I used a cobra 8.8 and used the explorer mount. It was a much better option than using any of the other available covers (at least I think so).
Kevin Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
Red Sleeper
All time 4x4

Red Sleeper is a jewel in the roughRed Sleeper is a jewel in the roughRed Sleeper is a jewel in the roughRed Sleeper is a jewel in the roughRed Sleeper is a jewel in the roughRed Sleeper is a jewel in the roughRed Sleeper is a jewel in the roughRed Sleeper is a jewel in the roughRed Sleeper is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Red Sleeper
Ford 9". Solves all issues. Haha
Red Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
Carbon01GT
a.k.a. Badmeat

Carbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Look on my photobucket, I used a cobra 8.8 and used the explorer mount. It was a much better option than using any of the other available covers (at least I think so).
This guy?

Ninja edit: https://www.cincystreetscene.com/foru...highlight=rx-7

Last edited by Carbon01GT; 09-28-2011 at 09:23 AM..
Carbon01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Kevin Doe
Kevin Knows

Um, no.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
Kevin Doe
Kevin Knows

Yeah, look at the link that carbon01gt posted.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
shiftdrift
Banned

shiftdrift is infamous around these partsshiftdrift is infamous around these partsshiftdrift is infamous around these partsshiftdrift is infamous around these partsshiftdrift is infamous around these partsshiftdrift is infamous around these partsshiftdrift is infamous around these partsshiftdrift is infamous around these partsshiftdrift is infamous around these partsshiftdrift is infamous around these partsshiftdrift is infamous around these parts
Triangulation is going to be strongest. What thickness metal were you using? I would use 1/4" in a triangular design with added bracing if you wanted to use the stock mounts again. That mount has very little bracing and it's focused on the middle causing it to bend easily.
shiftdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
Kevin Doe
Kevin Knows

1/4", really. He's not building an earthmover. WTF.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
JuicedH22
Best I know of

JuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JuicedH22
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
Triangulation is going to be strongest. What thickness metal were you using? I would use 1/4" in a triangular design with added bracing if you wanted to use the stock mounts again. That mount has very little bracing and it's focused on the middle causing it to bend easily.
why do you bother opening your mouth? No one is going to listen to any 'advice' you have. Remember how you were learning to weld, and you posted shit up before you were any good at it? This is like that... wait until you have the experience, before you suggest anything... because right now, you dont know WTF you're talking about.

I am the 53%
JuicedH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
YBE2FAST
Outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon01GT View Post
Awsome thanks.

I'll see wat I can do gotta get a rear cover first. Don't look to hard to do maybe ill be able to tack the mounts in while its in the car then pull the subframe backout to finish the welds.

Hopefully it'll be good to go after that. One problem though. I have access to a MIG welder, would that be strong enough or should I find someone to tig it up
Old 09-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
JuicedH22
Best I know of

JuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JuicedH22
I would have K Doe tig it (if he has time) over MIG welding... but that is just me.

BTW, I agree that the explorer cover seems like hte best choice. Strong; solid design; cheap.

Last edited by JuicedH22; 09-28-2011 at 02:52 PM..
JuicedH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #16
Kevin Doe
Kevin Knows

I bought my cover directly from Ford, it was like $60 brand new.

MIG can be just as strong as TIG, as long as you're very good at it. I could TIG it for you, if you put some tacks on it and bring it over.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #17
coolnick
is a ricer

coolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud of
Man I have good ideas lol.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #18
YBE2FAST
Outsider

That would be awsome. I feel the same way about the MIG its just wat I got unless I can rent one someplace. Lookin at the pics ill have to make some mounts that drop down as well guess we will see how good my fab skills are lol
Old 09-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #19
YBE2FAST
Outsider

here this is easier than posting from my cell...

Quote:
I bought my cover directly from Ford, it was like $60 brand new.

MIG can be just as strong as TIG, as long as you're very good at it. I could TIG it for you, if you put some tacks on it and bring it over.
u buy it from Ford online? I went to fairfield ford to get axle seals for this rear end and they wouldnt sell me anything without a vin number and told me mustang cobras dont come with a IRS rear end. wasnt gettin very far with them.

Ill try gettin everything cut out and tacked in then ill let you know. I trust your welding over mine anyday. Thanks for the help ill try gettin everything today or tomorrow.

Steven
Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #20
Kevin Doe
Kevin Knows

I went to the ford dealer in tricounty, I think it was called Kerry? I was able to get the part w/o any VIN. If you need a VIN, jsut look one up on ebay or something.