Legal question - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Bikes & Hogs

Old 04-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Dunc
BCICAN

Dunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Dunc
Legal question
Does anyone know of the legality of have a license plate on a hinge in the state of Ohio? It would be on a dirt bike that is street legal. Before you guys fly off the handle, no this is not for eluding cameras or running from cops. It's for flipping it up under the tail so when dual-sporting off road the plate is protected for the enviable crash.

I could mount it up in front of the tire to protect it, but I think that would be worse as it's harder to see. But if I mount it out by the taillight then it's super exposed.
Dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

WhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to behold
My Buick was made with a hinged plate mount in the rear. It is where the gas filler neck is.
WhiteT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
dsmawd350
6.x liter

dsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to dsmawd350
haven't you heard they outlawed those factory cars with the gas filler under the license plate
dsmawd350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
dsmawd350
6.x liter

dsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to dsmawd350
Dammit guess that's what I get for leaving my browser up and not refreshing lol
dsmawd350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Dunc
BCICAN

Dunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of light
I ask because I've seen people reporting they are getting tickets in other states (CT, CA, FL, etc.) upward of $1,100 for having a hinged plate.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Facemelter
Car has stuff

Facemelter is on a distinguished roadFacemelter is on a distinguished road
Just run some of those big magnets that our dealership uses on there dealer plates. Just mount them in two different spots,going offroad just pop it off and stick it some where it wont get nasty. Done riding,just throw it back on the back of the bike.

TONIGHT! On Unsolved Mysteries.
We Find out who still gives a shit about BigFoot.
Facemelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
badcoupe

badcoupe is on a distinguished roadbadcoupe is on a distinguished road
I've made some motorized hinged ones for street rods and they haven't had any issues granted they're more or less show cars
badcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
ej1bmx
Haz 0 El Es Ex

ej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to behold
As long as it's "legally" displayed while in use on the road, I really don't see why it would matter. I've seen a bunch of chopper dudes running them where it hinges flush with their swing arm.

Hell, I have no license plate light and my plate is tucked so far up/angled that you can't read it unless you're at eye level with it and I have still yet to have an issue with it *knock on wood*

Last edited by ej1bmx; 04-12-2013 at 01:52 AM..
ej1bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
shdw on th sun
sarcasshole

shdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of light
No crash is enviable. Promise you that.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
Dunc
BCICAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdw on th sun View Post
No crash is enviable. Promise you that.
I'm not talking about street riding and crashing. Everyone's been off their bike at some point while off-roading.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
apocalypse
CSS Rep King

apocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant future
Dunc is a dunce.
apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
Grand National Propain
Plays With Fire

Grand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really nice
The only way the hinge would be illegal is if it allowed the plate to swing into an unreadable position while riding down the road (horizontal). I got a ticket from a cop for that exact situation on one of my old lowered cars. I mounted the front plate on piano hinge under the front bumper to keep from ripping it off.

If you make some sort of latch or mechanism to keep it stationary while riding, you'll be fine.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #13
projectxmatt

projectxmatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facemelter View Post
Just run some of those big magnets that our dealership uses on there dealer plates. Just mount them in two different spots,going offroad just pop it off and stick it some where it wont get nasty. Done riding,just throw it back on the back of the bike.
This. That's how I had by old bike setup, displayed the plate great on the road. Then when I went off road, I had a little pocket on the rear fender for some small tools and held the plate as well.

---Restoring--- | --- The Beater ---
projectxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #14
shdw on th sun
sarcasshole

shdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse View Post
Dunc is a dunce.
rep
shdw on th sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
Dunc
BCICAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdw on th sun View Post
rep
Facepalm, you must be new. That shit is 9 years old now.