voltage problem. - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Ford Discussions

Old 05-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Bunjiro
1,000 posts club

Bunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Bunjiro
voltage problem.
My mom has a 96 Aerostar and it keep loosing voltage under load. At idle is right around 14, with a load it drops a volt or more and takes it down close to 12. New alt and new battery. Problem is that I am rather color retarded so I can not follow wiring to see if something is crapped out along there somewhere, is there any other common problems I should check for?
Bunjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Bimmer
Sobriety FTW

Bimmer has a spectacular aura aboutBimmer has a spectacular aura aboutBimmer has a spectacular aura aboutBimmer has a spectacular aura aboutBimmer has a spectacular aura aboutBimmer has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer
What's your proof for knowing the bat and alt are good?

Besides that, the first obvious thing would be to check for loose grounds. Clean up the terminals real too, and ensure tight connections up top and below on the starter/remote coil
Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Bunjiro
1,000 posts club

Bunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post

Besides that, the first obvious thing would be to check for loose grounds. Clean up the terminals real too, and ensure tight connections up top and below on the starter/remote coil
Well I would say considering they are both brand new that should probably take care of the good part. No reman parts. And the terminals are clean and I do not see how that would cause the voltage to drop and for it to not charge at correct specs when loads are on.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
99slobra
Fa Sho

99slobra is a jewel in the rough99slobra is a jewel in the rough99slobra is a jewel in the rough99slobra is a jewel in the rough99slobra is a jewel in the rough99slobra is a jewel in the rough99slobra is a jewel in the rough99slobra is a jewel in the rough
a new alt? hahaha.

Get the battery and alt load tested.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
Bunjiro
1,000 posts club

Already had that done. Probably just going to swap the alt out.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
older fords like that have issues with the main plug on the Alt. the terminals get hot and lose tension.

most new alternators come with a new plug and instructions on how to go about replacing them...

if yours didn't they are available seperate... autozone or whatever should have them....

try looking at the terminals in the plug and see if they are crusty or appear to have been hot at some point.... you can also try loading it like you said and wiggle that plug to see if it comes and goes...

Brad
Old 05-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
Bunjiro
1,000 posts club

I had already replaced that plug when she first got it.

Stabbed a new alt in and everything is good now. Guess it was just Smyth quality.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:07 AM   #8
Bimmer
Sobriety FTW

Bimmer has a spectacular aura aboutBimmer has a spectacular aura aboutBimmer has a spectacular aura aboutBimmer has a spectacular aura aboutBimmer has a spectacular aura aboutBimmer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjiro View Post
Well I would say considering they are both brand new that should probably take care of the good part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjiro View Post

Stabbed a new alt in and everything is good now. Guess it was just Smyth quality.
Oh Rly?
Old 05-24-2009, 04:18 AM   #9
PiranhaMatt
Nissan Fanboy

PiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to all
Lol
Old 05-24-2009, 04:19 AM   #10
Bimmer
Sobriety FTW

heh heh I'm a dick
Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
Bunjiro
1,000 posts club

It is even funnier now because after running just fine and not a problem with charging, the mother fucker is dead.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
PiranhaMatt
Nissan Fanboy

PiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to allPiranhaMatt is a name known to all
I guess Smyth is quality
PiranhaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
99slobra
Fa Sho

99slobra is a jewel in the rough99slobra is a jewel in the rough99slobra is a jewel in the rough99slobra is a jewel in the rough99slobra is a jewel in the rough99slobra is a jewel in the rough99slobra is a jewel in the rough99slobra is a jewel in the rough
i think its funnier he called the alt brand new and not a reman..
99slobra is offline   Reply With Quote