1987 Shelby Charger Build log - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Dodge / Mopar Discussion

Old 10-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Purpleskunk
CSS newbie

Purpleskunk is on a distinguished road
1987 Shelby Charger Build log
Ok guys, I am going to set this thread up for when I actually get my lazy ass moving again!

So as some of you may know already, I have a 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger, and its been in my family since it was new!

Anyway, I have been driving it everyday since I was 16 years old, and now it's time to start building it the way I want it!

It started life as a black/silver turbo 1 non-intercooled 5 spd. It has since been worked on only slightly, normal maintanence mods like new vacuum lines and replacement parts. Some mods like a boost controller and such but nothing major. It's a fun little car and still turns some heads now and then.

Now for the plan:

Over this winter and some time into spring, I will be working to build an 89 turbo 2 motor and a new transmission to put into it. Mods will include upgraded injectors, intercooler, and stage 2 ecu. I will be looking to run about 15lbs of boost and hit mid 13's. For those of you thinking that isn't that impressive, mind you this car from the factory was a 16 second car, and all the parts will be 1980's replacements. There will most likely be no porting of any of the manifolds, etc. This will basically be a budgeted build using factory parts and stock 89 internals. The 13 second 1/4's will be on a conservative set up and with no professional aftermarket tuning.

Actual mods and pics will follow as it progresses...

Well, I will keep you guys informed as things progress, but I can tell ya right now, with my work schedule and the family life, progress will be slow at best.
1965 chevy malibu ss FOR SALE
1982 yamaha vision 550 SOLD
2011 dodge charger DD

Purpleskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
shelbycharger

shelbycharger is on a distinguished road
You know ill be watching, 13's should be easy on that set up.
shelbycharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
xander
2,000 posts club

xander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to xander
I smell bacon

xander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Purpleskunk
CSS newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
i smell bacon

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
that made me lol!!
Old 11-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
1fast89z

1fast89z is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1fast89z Send a message via Yahoo to 1fast89z
I've always been a fan of all those turbo dodge cars, had a few friends that owned them and seeing what they ran, I would say 13s are really easy.
1fast89z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
coolnick
is a ricer

coolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud of
This build thread sucks lol.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Purpleskunk
CSS newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnick View Post
This build thread sucks lol.
^^^^^
mmmmmmmhhmmmmmmm I know that's right!
Old 11-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Walter
4cyl & fart can

Walter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of light
Had an '88 shelby z daytona in 1995. It was nice little car.
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Purpleskunk
CSS newbie

Not that anyone here cares, but I am pretty excited...The Skunk lives! Car is finally back from the shop and running pretty good. Over this summer, since I'll be looking for a new house and any extra money will be going toward that, the motor build for the Charger will have to wait... However I will be doing some small things here and there to start getting the interior and exterior back in working order. First steps were getting the louvers off and fixing the windshield wipers. Tonight Ill be fixing the window crank handle and pulling the passanger seat out to work on making my old Daytona seats fit...
Old 03-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #10
evil8
Meatcurtains

evil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to all
Let's get a vote to delete this thread or just lock it.
evil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Purpleskunk
CSS newbie

OK thanks motion seconded...

Don't look if you aren't interested...
Old 03-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
evil8
Meatcurtains

evil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to all
Friend request sent.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #13
ForceFed
Fu(k (ivility

ForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to ForceFed
Never Seen a Build thread.....With no pics......and no build.
Gay.
ForceFed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
Walter
4cyl & fart can

Walter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of light
Id pay top KBB for this car.
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
cabech984

cabech984 has a spectacular aura aboutcabech984 has a spectacular aura aboutcabech984 has a spectacular aura aboutcabech984 has a spectacular aura aboutcabech984 has a spectacular aura aboutcabech984 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleskunk View Post
Don't look if you aren't interested...
There's nothing to look at! Post some pics!
cabech984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #16
Purpleskunk
CSS newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabech984 View Post
There's nothing to look at! Post some pics!
I'll work on it tonight...

Heres one from 8 years ago...i'll get current ones up soon...
But here's what I'm starting with...

Last edited by Purpleskunk; 03-23-2013 at 07:58 AM..
Old 03-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #17
evil8
Meatcurtains

Too late. Locking this up.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #18
Purpleskunk
CSS newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil8 View Post
Too late. Locking this up.
ok
pic didn't work anyway
Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #19
Purpleskunk
CSS newbie

Here are a couple of pics, forgive the quality, of what I am starting with...just for anyone who might be interested

Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #20
Rogue Vette
Compensating Mod

Rogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Rogue Vette
Fun cars. I have had a number of TII cars (GLHS's and CSX's). Most 80's Turbo Dodges are in terrible shape if they are even around. I'll always have a soft spot for these cars. Do kinda hate the purple however.
Rogue Vette is offline   Reply With Quote