Battery Problem? - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Tech > Engine Tech

Old 10-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Ampypants
Man whore club

Ampypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Ampypants
Battery Problem?
Ok, I have been dealing with this Issue for a while now....

So starting a few weeks ago when I would hit my brakes or hit a huge bump my car would shut off completely. Then turn right back on, almost instantly, I mean it cuts off the motor, battery, lights, radio....everything. Then right back on.
It is not constant problem just a randomly does it, and when it does, I have a very low Idle if I make any stops

Every once in a while if I sent some current through the car, (turn signal, headlights...) it will do the same thing.

My Master Cylinder went out a week or so later, so I replaced that.

I replaced the Battery, and the car was fine for a week or so, but now it is doing it again. It also seems like there is a drain on the battery, cause now it is having trouble starting.

I have replaced the ground wire to the frame, and tonight I am going to replace all wires to the Block, Alternator, Starter etc.

I do not have a stereo or anything that would cause extra drain on the car, besides a basic radio

It seems to me there is a bad ground or something, but I am at a loss....any Ideas?

On a side note, I have no check engine lights on, or anything.....

Last edited by Ampypants; 10-12-2010 at 04:03 PM..
Ampypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
leetfade
Back in it

leetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really nice
Still sounds like a grounding problem or some other loose wire causing a short? I know that's not a lot of help other than to maybe reaffirm your suspiscion. :-P
leetfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Ampypants
Man whore club

Ampypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to allAmpypants is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetfade View Post
Still sounds like a grounding problem or some other loose wire causing a short? I know that's not a lot of help other than to maybe reaffirm your suspiscion. :-P
Yeah I am thinking there is some loose power wire some place maybe worn or something cause things to ground out when I send current through, maybe something on the fire wall that has rubbed through....I dont know

I am gonna test the alternator as well, just to make sure it is good, but I believe it was just replaced recently

The more I think about it, it is all happening when something has to do with the lights, my head lights have also been dim lately, so I guess I will start looking there as well.

Last edited by Ampypants; 10-12-2010 at 04:54 PM..

Old 10-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
ej1bmx
Haz 0 El Es Ex

ej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to behold
I would start by cleaning off all of the grounds. On my old beater... I had an issue similar to that. It would not shut off while I was driving, but it would start sometimes, not start others... just randomly. Found out that one of the ground wires had came un-twisted (or whatever the hell you would want to call it) and was causing all of the issues.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Ampypants
Man whore club

The main grounds are all fine and have been checked....heck one I even replaced
Old 10-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
leetfade
Back in it

leetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really niceleetfade is just really nice
What's been changed / worked on recently?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
coolnick
is a ricer

coolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud of
Run a new charging line from the alternator to the battery. Then check those headlight connections make sure they aren't all gunked up. Don't you work at Spade? I would imagine someone there knows how to properly check a battery/alternator/draining issue.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
Ampypants
Man whore club

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnick View Post
Run a new charging line from the alternator to the battery. Then check those headlight connections make sure they aren't all gunked up. Don't you work at Spade? I would imagine someone there knows how to properly check a battery/alternator/draining issue.
Well after checking things last night, there is no drain, battery is charging just fine.

I checked all the headlight and brake light connections, but I am going to pull them all off tonight and make sure they are clean.

There is also a ground to the ABS that looks a little ugly, so I am going to look into that as well.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
dsmawd350
6.x liter

dsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to dsmawd350
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnick View Post
Don't you work at Spade? I would imagine someone there knows how to properly check a battery/alternator/draining issue.
read my mind
dsmawd350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
Ampypants
Man whore club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmawd350 View Post
read my mind
Believe me we have been looking over everything, problem is it is not a constant problem, so it is hard to narrow it down!
Old 10-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
Ampypants
Man whore club

Well after going through every wire in the car, found out that my battery terminal post was too long and not holding the wires on tightly all the time.

Added a washer and all seems to be working just fine now......
Old 10-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #12
leetfade
Back in it

The easy things are the hardest to find! Glad you got it fixed. Now figure out my boost leak..
Old 10-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
Ampypants
Man whore club

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetfade View Post
The easy things are the hardest to find! Glad you got it fixed. Now figure out my boost leak..
Ha that is out of my league lol

The rubber boot would get tight so you could not tell it was loose, then it would wiggle loose every once in a while. I am glad I figured it out, talk about a pain!