100k mile service for Protege5 (2003) - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Mazda Discussions

Old 01-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
Remman4
CSS regular

Remman4 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Remman4 Send a message via Yahoo to Remman4
100k mile service for Protege5 (2003)
Hey guys, what would you recommend to service at 100k miles?

timing belt
water pump
accessory belts
v/c gasket

anything else?

does the timing belt service include any tensioners or anything else?

TIA
2004 VW GLI 1.8T Platinum Grey (200hp VW)
2007 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Wagon (Wife's grocery getter)
Remman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
civicsix2
CSS newbie

civicsix2 is on a distinguished road
Depending on previous history of the vehicle, timing belt replacement is reccomended at 60k, water pumps are usually only replaced if they are leaking unless you just want to do it all at the same time for good measure, the valve cover gasket should be replaced, accessory belts would be a good to do if they show any signs of wear, make sure you don't see any leakage from the cam/crank seals as this would be the time to do them, also check the tensioner--the springs have a tendency to wear a groove where it goes through the tensioner (2003 should have the updated part that is reinforced) but tensioners are not necessarily needed.
civicsix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Bunjiro
1,000 posts club

Bunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Bunjiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicsix2 View Post
Depending on previous history of the vehicle, timing belt replacement is reccomended at 60k, water pumps are usually only replaced if they are leaking unless you just want to do it all at the same time for good measure, the valve cover gasket should be replaced, accessory belts would be a good to do if they show any signs of wear, make sure you don't see any leakage from the cam/crank seals as this would be the time to do them, also check the tensioner--the springs have a tendency to wear a groove where it goes through the tensioner (2003 should have the updated part that is reinforced) but tensioners are not necessarily needed.
Why the fuck would you not replace a timing belt driven water pump, when replacing the timing belt?

I'll look it up in alldata for you tomorrow.
Bunjiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
sxShep
Hamster Assassin

sxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to sxShep
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
240Jeff
Riff raff

240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to 240Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxShep View Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I don't think that applies to timing belts. Lol.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
sxShep
Hamster Assassin

sxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to behold
ok ok ... But I personally wouldn't be replacing things like that until they showed signs of failure. I guess it's easy for me to say, I have two vehicles totaling a value of like $4k lol
sxShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
9cobra4
Some say...

9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all
I wouldn't use the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory on a timing belt. Lol
9cobra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
sxShep
Hamster Assassin

Well go for the timing belt then... and if you already have the engine bay apart and feel inclined to replace the water pump while you're at it then do it... I replaced the water pump in my S14 while I had it all apart replacing another gasket, so for like $40, go for it. I know on my two vehicles, though, I will replace the water pump when it starts to fail or is in the way of a bigger project and doesn't require much more effort.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:44 AM   #9
9cobra4
Some say...

9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all
I'm with you on the water pump thing, I wouldn't replace one til its leaking or stops spinning. Same thing with any other mechanical part, except for, as stated, a timing belt.
9cobra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #10
Bunjiro
1,000 posts club

Bunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, but on a 240 you do not have to take the timing belt off to replace a water pump. Or chain.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
sxShep
Hamster Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjiro View Post
Yeah, but on a 240 you do not have to take the timing belt off to replace a water pump. Or chain.
oooooOOOOOoooo ... That hadn't even occurred to me... I'll just quietly disappear from offering advice in this thread
Old 01-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
Timing belt is due @ 105k... Plugs every 60k,

On the timing belt tensioner, they have some updates and issues with the spring that holds tension. The spring and the tab it hooks into don't agree with each other and it ends up cutting the slot or wearing the spring out. Ending in the tensioner flopping around and the cams jumping time... so replace the spring and tensioner anytime you do the belt on this engine

Gates kit is like $180'ish... spring is $4.00
Old 01-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
Bunjiro
1,000 posts club

You could just get a timing belt kit, comes with the idler and the tensioner in it. Normally saves you a bit of money that way.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
my cost from world-pac was 180 something... and thats the kit pictured
Kisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #15
Bunjiro
1,000 posts club

I can get the Gates kit cheaper with my cost from KOI, but I do not make deals for just anyone, haha.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #16
civicsix2
CSS newbie

civicsix2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjiro View Post
Why the fuck would you not replace a timing belt driven water pump, when replacing the timing belt?

I'll look it up in alldata for you tomorrow.

yeah the water pump is not driven by the timing belt but what the hell do i know i have only been working on them for 7 years
civicsix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #17
Bunjiro
1,000 posts club

Oh sorry buddy, it is a Mazda. It's behind the timing belt.