MR2 will not start! - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Toyota / Scion Discussion

Old 11-23-2010, 03:44 AM   #1
93talonES
CSS newbie

93talonES is an unknown quantity at this point
MR2 will not start!
Okay i just bought this car off a guy in Kentucky about a week ago. $900 it needed a radiator and had been sitting for 6 months. So i tow it to my uncles 5 min away and put the new radiator in. Wont start. So i put a brand new battery in it and it fires right up. I drive it around Kentucky for a little to make sure everything is right. So next day I put gas in it and drive it home from Kentucky (2 hour drive). Everything is perfect no noise NOTHING (battery light is on though?). So i come to my exit off the highway and as soon as i hit the brakes my battery gauge starts to sink a little and my MPH and RPM stop working. Drive it just a little more down the road and it starts to die down like i had lost all spark. So my dad comes with jumper cables and it cranks but doesn't start. Battery is now fully charged everything works lights etc. but just wont fire up. wtf? Any help would be great!
1993 Eagle Talon ES-sold
1995 Saturn SL1-sold
1989 Chevy Cheyenne-sold
1992 Saturn SL2-sold
1987 Volkswagen Jetta-sold
93talonES is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 03:46 AM   #2
93talonES
CSS newbie

I tried starting fluid also and still wont fire.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
93talonES
CSS newbie

Every single fuse is good.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
theslantstudio
slightly slanted

theslantstudio has a spectacular aura abouttheslantstudio has a spectacular aura abouttheslantstudio has a spectacular aura abouttheslantstudio has a spectacular aura abouttheslantstudio has a spectacular aura abouttheslantstudio has a spectacular aura about
bad alternator maybe?

" i have three kids and no monies, why cant i have no kids and three monies"
theslantstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

cincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslantstudio View Post
bad alternator maybe?
this. Pull the alternator and get it tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincySVT View Post
We need to talk to push, but always down for hooters. Nobody can be mad with wings, beer, and titties in their face
cincySVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
jfisher

jfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to jfisher Send a message via MSN to jfisher
I'm willing to bet alt as well. My old 91 T did the same crap, turned out to be the alt.

2013 Cruze Eco 1.4T 6MT
1993 Mustang
2007 Yamaha R1
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
93talonES
CSS newbie

A bad alt will cause it to not start though?
Old 11-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
coolnick
is a ricer

coolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93talonES View Post
A bad alt will cause it to not start though?
Yeah dingle dick, your battery is probably fucked from draining it to the max. Charge it all you want, it probably still won't start the car. Try jumping it with a big ass truck or something with a beefy charging system. Your alternator is definitely no longer operational, if the alt fuse is good you need to replace the alternator.

Welcome to cars 101, perhaps you should take up knitting.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
apocalypse
CSS Rep King

apocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant future
A battery can be charged and still have low CCA's. Like everyone said in this thread, put an alternator in it. That's why your battery light came on, that's why your gauges quit working. While you're in there, put a new belt on too.

Subscribe to my YouTube faggots...
http://www.youtube.com/user/apocalypse7011?feature=mhum
apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
Wheelin

Wheelin is just really niceWheelin is just really niceWheelin is just really niceWheelin is just really niceWheelin is just really niceWheelin is just really niceWheelin is just really niceWheelin is just really niceWheelin is just really niceWheelin is just really niceWheelin is just really nice
Its turning over and not hitting on ether? Spark problem
Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
coolnick
is a ricer

coolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin View Post
GTFO hillbilly, he has enough power to turn it, but not fast enough to start.

coolnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
apocalypse
CSS Rep King

apocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin View Post
"Where does the spark come from" for $200, Alex....
Old 11-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #13
coolnick
is a ricer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse View Post
"Where does the spark come from" for $200, Alex....
He's still looking for the carb.

coolnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
Ty.

Ty. has a spectacular aura aboutTy. has a spectacular aura aboutTy. has a spectacular aura aboutTy. has a spectacular aura aboutTy. has a spectacular aura aboutTy. has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Ty.
Its your alternator.

Email: ty@tcsmotorsports.com
AIM: tcsmotorsports
Ty. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #15
dsmawd350
6.x liter

dsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to dsmawd350
Have you checked your alternator?
dsmawd350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
theslantstudio
slightly slanted

theslantstudio has a spectacular aura abouttheslantstudio has a spectacular aura abouttheslantstudio has a spectacular aura abouttheslantstudio has a spectacular aura abouttheslantstudio has a spectacular aura abouttheslantstudio has a spectacular aura about
heres the easiest test your alternator, if you can somehow get your car to turn over with a large truck boosting it, just disconnect the battery while the car is running and your car should stay on if not your alt is not in working order
theslantstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #17
apocalypse
CSS Rep King

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslantstudio View Post
heres the easiest test your alternator, if you can somehow get your car to turn over with a large truck boosting it, just disconnect the battery while the car is running and your car should stay on if not your alt is not in working order
That's an easy way to do it? Plus that's a fantastic way to fry electronics...
Old 11-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #18
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

cincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnick View Post
Yeah dingle dick, your battery is probably fucked from draining it to the max. Charge it all you want, it probably still won't start the car. Try jumping it with a big ass truck or something with a beefy charging system. Your alternator is definitely no longer operational, if the alt fuse is good you need to replace the alternator.

Welcome to cars 101, perhaps you should take up knitting.
+rep And very true. Oh and check your alternator op

Last edited by cincySVT; 11-23-2010 at 08:48 PM..
cincySVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #19
Jesse
Slow race car

Jesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Jesse
Idk what these guys are talking about, but I think it's the alternator.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:07 AM   #20
93talonES
CSS newbie

It was the distributor . But thanks for the help guys!