VW maintenance questions - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Tech > Engine Tech

Old 10-31-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
brent_si™
Ramming speed!

brent_si™ has a spectacular aura aboutbrent_si™ has a spectacular aura aboutbrent_si™ has a spectacular aura aboutbrent_si™ has a spectacular aura aboutbrent_si™ has a spectacular aura aboutbrent_si™ has a spectacular aura about
VW maintenance questions
Im thinking about getting a 01 passat for a daily driver. Has about 105k on the vr6 and im wondering what kind of maintenance is required. I obviously know oil changes and stuff like that but what else? I heard timing chains are expensive to get done.

I literally know nothing but basic stuff about vw's so any info would be helpful.
brent_si™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
badcoupe

badcoupe is on a distinguished roadbadcoupe is on a distinguished road
timing arent really an issue like a belt isthey dont have the failure rate that belts do.as a passat owner I can tell you stay away from the autos or keep it well maintenanced. tierod ends tend to go bad for some reason. I;ve always owned vws and love em to death. I have a 1.8t car I had chipped and it runs killer and is fun to drive for a big car.
badcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
brent_si™
Ramming speed!

brent_si™ has a spectacular aura aboutbrent_si™ has a spectacular aura aboutbrent_si™ has a spectacular aura aboutbrent_si™ has a spectacular aura aboutbrent_si™ has a spectacular aura aboutbrent_si™ has a spectacular aura about
Well the one im looking at is an auto and may be 4 motion. I need an auto so my wife can drive it and Im tired of getting stuck in traffic with a 5 speed. Is trans maintenance just fluid flush and filter change? Is there anything that is expensive to fix on them?
brent_si™ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
badcoupe

badcoupe is on a distinguished roadbadcoupe is on a distinguished road
fluid and filter the fluid is kinda high, about 18 a liter. vw doesn't reccomend servicing them but the result is usually bad. we've replaced 2 in the last 8 months at the my shop. window motors are high but don't go out often the regulators tend to break but they're cheap and easy to do. otherwise they're good. the 4mo are killer in the snow. they also accasionally have abs issues but you take the elec part off of the pump and send it out usually runs a 150 or so to get it repaired, the car will still be driveable in the meantime, I've to do a few of those too. Luckily they weren't on my personal car, although now I say that mine will go bad!
badcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
Junk, don't do that to yourself.

The VR6 isn't a bad engine but everything around it is still VW and worn out after 100k miles. As stated the transmissions are junk, the ABS will die, the brakes are trash, the front steering and suspension is shit.

Someone got rid of that car at 100K for a reason. I would bet money i could find over a grand in repairs it needs right now.

Sorry :(
Old 11-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
HATEMENOW
Im just playin.

HATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HATEMENOW Send a message via Yahoo to HATEMENOW
too bad its not a vr6... its a 30v v6....@ 105k, needs a full service done, if has not been done yet.. 4 motion v6 passat are cool, but not worth the trouble... just buy a A4.