Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Tech > Paint & Body

Old 04-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
jdredd
1,000 posts club

jdredd is on a distinguished road
Any home garage body guys?
Got the typical rocker panel rust that wbodys get...

Here is a link of a guy who did his own deal.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=4898460

Looking for something cheapo if all possible to limp the car along a little bit further before it totally falls apart. Tho I see this being pretty damn expensive fix.. sigh..

I dont THINK mine is THIS bad.. but its not very good either it looks.
jdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

WhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to behold
Get on extremestreetcars.com and contact no shot on there (bill metcalf). Highly recommend him.

9.7@139.5 with the v6

Update: Turbo LSbandwagon build in process
WhiteT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
super70dsm
cunfuzd....

super70dsm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to super70dsm
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteT View Post
Get on extremestreetcars.com and contact no shot on there (bill metcalf). Highly recommend him.
Yeah bill did my dads hail damaged ram.. Awesome job!!

Sent from my iPhone

Old 04-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Science Abuse
CSS newbie

Science Abuse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdredd View Post
Looking for something cheapo if all possible to limp the car along a little bit further before it totally falls apart. Tho I see this being pretty damn expensive fix.. sigh..
If that's the case, why metal? I had a rotted out Rocker on an old race toy that I just cut out, wire-brushed away what rust I could get... then Great Stuff'ed it.
http://greatstuff.dow.com/image/product_family.gif
The foam expanded and filled the rocker space. When it dried fully, I shaved it back and sanded it to shape, then put a layer of fibrglass over it. Smeared it with a bit of bondo to fill in the fabric texture, sanded, and painted with some primer and Duplicolor. Looked OEM from 5ft away. I had low expetations, but it lasted about 6 years, right up to the parting and scrapping of the car. I think the cage was all that held it together.

If it's falling apart, half-ass it!

Last edited by Science Abuse; 04-03-2012 at 01:01 PM..
Science Abuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
jdredd
1,000 posts club

jdredd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Science Abuse View Post
If that's the case, why metal? I had a rotted out Rocker on an old race toy that I just cut out, wire-brushed away what rust I could get... then Great Stuff'ed it.
http://greatstuff.dow.com/image/product_family.gif
The foam expanded and filled the rocker space. When it dried fully, I shaved it back and sanded it to shape, then put a layer of fibrglass over it. Smeared it with a bit of bondo to fill in the fabric texture, sanded, and painted with some primer and Duplicolor. Looked OEM from 5ft away. I had low expetations, but it lasted about 6 years, right up to the parting and scrapping of the car. I think the cage was all that held it together.

If it's falling apart, half-ass it!
Lol... you know.. thats really not a bad idea.

But I will need to still probably cut off the rocker panel area to get the other side on the inside to wire wheel a bunch, use some rust converter and primer it all. Then weld back on the rocker panel after its been cleaned up too. I would primer the shit out of the inside area for the added protection then foam fill it.. Crappy design by GM where water and crap collects up in there.

To bad no class action suit on these for such a bad design.
jdredd is offline   Reply With Quote