Oil in radiator issue - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Honda / Acura Discussions

Old 11-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
ullBsorry
You all make me laugh

ullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the rough
Oil in radiator issue
So I recently picked up a 93 Acura Legend and noticed the heat doesn't really get that hot. When I went to check the fluid I noticed it wasn't lime green and had a oily residue to it. Added fluid and today noticed when I stop the heat dies. When I drive heat gets warmer. Don't have any leaks so....

Im ASSUMING one or both headgaskets are shot. Car has 171,xxx miles.

Opinions?
ullBsorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Grand National Propain
Plays With Fire

Grand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ullBsorry View Post
So I recently picked up a 93 Acura Legend and noticed the heat doesn't really get that hot. When I went to check the fluid I noticed it wasn't lime green and had a oily residue to it. Added fluid and today noticed when I stop the heat dies. When I drive heat gets warmer. Don't have any leaks so....

Im ASSUMING one or both headgaskets are shot. Car has 171,xxx miles.

Opinions?
Scrap yard?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
shdw on th sun
sarcasshole

shdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of light
flux capacitor

Old 11-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
ullBsorry
You all make me laugh

ullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the rough
Sweet responses choads
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Grand National Propain
Plays With Fire

Grand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really nice
I was being serious. Its most likely the head gaskets, as you stated. What else do you want to hear? Given that it's a 20yo rice burner, I figured the scrap yard would be your best bet.
Grand National Propain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Grand National Propain
Plays With Fire

...with 171k nonetheless
Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
apocalypse
CSS Rep King

apocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant future
There's really only one way oil can get in the coolant.
apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
BossZ06

BossZ06 is on a distinguished road
ill go 200
BossZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
Xero
Waste of Space

Xero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really nice
Is it oil or tranny fluid?
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
ullBsorry
You all make me laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand National Propain View Post
I was being serious. Its most likely the head gaskets, as you stated. What else do you want to hear? Given that it's a 20yo rice burner, I figured the scrap yard would be your best bet.
rice burner would be a civic or crx or integra. this is a 4 door non rice burner thats made for comfort driving and not helping the rice markets and burning rice around the dayton area. head gaskets are replaceable with some time and effort.

its a fully loaded car with leather, heated seats and etc...its worth fixing. especially since i bought it uber cheap.
At least this idiot gets it
Old 11-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
Grand National Propain
Plays With Fire

Quote:
rice burner would be a civic or crx or integra. this is a 4 door non rice burner thats made for comfort driving and not helping the rice markets and burning rice around the dayton area. head gaskets are replaceable with some time and effort.

its a fully loaded car with leather, heated seats and etc...its worth fixing. especially since i bought it uber cheap.
Then fix it. What else do you want from this thread? Lol
Old 11-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #12
ullBsorry
You all make me laugh

Quote:
Then fix it. What else do you want from this thread? Lol
opinions. i like asking peoples opinions and getting their responses.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
Xero
Waste of Space

Xero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really niceXero is just really nice
I say, again. Is it oil or tranny fluid? Many cars have the transmission cooler linked to the radiator and can rust through and leak into the radiator. If you have a bad head gasket, you should see other symptoms, (i.e.: white smoke from exhaust, loss of power, etc...)
Old 11-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
Carbon01GT
a.k.a. Badmeat

Carbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
opinions. i like asking peoples opinions and getting their responses.
Ummmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse View Post
There's really only one way oil can get in the coolant.
Quote:
Its most likely the head gaskets, as you stated. What else do you want to hear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossZ06 View Post
ill go 200
Am I missing what's left to be discussed?

Quote:
Scrap yard?
+1
Old 11-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
ullBsorry
You all make me laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
I say, again. Is it oil or tranny fluid? Many cars have the transmission cooler linked to the radiator and can rust through and leak into the radiator. If you have a bad head gasket, you should see other symptoms, (i.e.: white smoke from exhaust, loss of power, etc...)
Pretty sure its oil. Dark Silverish color liquid when I wiped off the radiator cap and what I saw in the antifreeze. Checked it again last night but didnt really see any oil or any other type of liquid in the radiator so idk.

Doesnt have really any loss of power but I havent exactly floored it anywhere and havent seen any white smoke and the exhaust doesnt smell sweet or like antifreeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon01GT View Post
Ummmm.....

Am I missing what's left to be discussed?

+1
Smart opinions and not dumb smartass opinions there chief.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #16
Grand National Propain
Plays With Fire

Quote:
Pretty sure its oil. Dark Silverish color liquid when I wiped off the radiator cap and what I saw in the antifreeze. Checked it again last night but didnt really see any oil or any other type of liquid in the radiator so idk.

Doesnt have really any loss of power but I havent exactly floored it anywhere and havent seen any white smoke and the exhaust doesnt smell sweet or like antifreeze.

If its silver, could be alumaseal to "fix" a coolant leak for the quick sell to you. If that's the case, that explains the no heat issue as well. That stuff can easily plug up heater cores. Sounds like you just need someone that knows WTF they're looking at to inspect it and quit guessing.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #17
Grand National Propain
Plays With Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
If you have a bad head gasket, you should see other symptoms, (i.e.: white smoke from exhaust, loss of power, etc...)
This isnt necessarily true. If the head gasket blows between the oil and coolant passages, the car will run perfectly. This is actually really common on a lot of cars. The only times you'll notice a power difference/smoke is if it blows from coolant jacket to cylinder, or oil jacket to cylinder, or cylinder to cylinder etc.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #18
apocalypse
CSS Rep King

apocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant future
Quote:

Two mechanics are telling you it's most likely head gaskets. Since when is that "dumb smartass" opinions?

Subscribe to my YouTube faggots...
http://www.youtube.com/user/apocalypse7011?feature=mhum
apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #19
v6motorheadftop
All slow no go

v6motorheadftop will become famous soon enoughv6motorheadftop will become famous soon enoughv6motorheadftop will become famous soon enough
Quote:
This isnt necessarily true. If the head gasket blows between the oil and coolant passages, the car will run perfectly. This is actually really common on a lot of cars. The only times you'll notice a power difference/smoke is if it blows from coolant jacket to cylinder, or oil jacket to cylinder, or cylinder to cylinder etc.
+1

You may want to investigate it a little more. Most likely if it was a blown head gasket, there would at least be trace amounts in the oil. Now if it is alumaseal (which is what I would guess with what has been said), you are going to wanna get that out asap, and fix the leak correctly
v6motorheadftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #20
Xero
Waste of Space

Quote:
Right. I was trying to draw out more info.
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote