sittin low - Page 2 - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Mazda Discussions

Old 09-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #21
Red Sleeper
All time 4x4

Red Sleeper is a jewel in the roughRed Sleeper is a jewel in the roughRed Sleeper is a jewel in the roughRed Sleeper is a jewel in the roughRed Sleeper is a jewel in the roughRed Sleeper is a jewel in the roughRed Sleeper is a jewel in the roughRed Sleeper is a jewel in the roughRed Sleeper is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Red Sleeper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Doe View Post
It does not let heat OUT of the engine bay. The base of the windwhield is a high pressure area at speed. This is why you see cowl induction hoods, key word ther, induction. Air enters the engine bay there to feed the carb. There are MUCH better ways to cool your engine bay than letting high pressure air in.

Atleast i'm not the only one who knows about that. I tried telling Robbie about that. he called me stupid
Red Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #22
trojan
says eat shit and die

trojan can only hope to improve
Quote:
Air ducting to the radiator. All air that enters the grill MUST go through the radiator. Make the underside of the car be as low pressure as possible. This could be obtianed by getting yoru car low, and adding an air deflector somewhere in front of where the radiator is mounted. Basically get the lowest pressure in teh engine bay, and the make sure all the air goes through the radiator.
what about an aftermarket belly pan with louvers, and or front splitter

99 Miata mx-5
"low enough to do battle with the pavement"
Local 392
trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:44 PM   #23
redmike
ginger

redmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan View Post
what about an aftermarket belly pan with louvers, and or front splitter
Your belly pan you have now will have louvers soon if you don't stop bottoming it out on the road.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #24
trojan
says eat shit and die

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike_02 View Post
Your belly pan you have now will have louvers soon if you don't stop bottoming it out on the road.
your jealous cause your car sits like a truck
Old 09-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #25
redmike
ginger

redmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to all
Quote:
your jealous cause your car sits like a truck
Yes, I'm jealous that I can get where I need to go without tearing the hell out of my car and having to worry about a small rock ripping off my oil pan. It looks sweet, but totaly unpractical.
redmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #26
Mike
Fat Ricer Admin

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mike
It's a fucking N/A, stock miata. How hot could it fucking get?

Btw.. the hood risers are one thing that stuck out to me. I think it looks horrible like that.

RIP - Vinny, Hotrod, Ahmed, Blacklist...
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #27
trojan
says eat shit and die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
It's a fucking N/A, stock miata. How hot could it fucking get?

Btw.. the hood risers are one thing that stuck out to me. I think it looks horrible like that.
its different and i don't see that many people with them, and i think its amusing when people come up to me and ask me is there something wrong with my hood
Old 09-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #28
trojan
says eat shit and die

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike_02 View Post
totaly unpractical.
your car payment
Old 09-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #29
Kevin Doe
Kevin Knows

Kevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Doe
Yeah, hood risers are different. It looks like you got in a wreck and didn't fix it right. Way to be different. lol.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #30
BTM

BTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to behold
damn people, get off the guys back!
Old 09-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #31
Kevin Doe
Kevin Knows

Kevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to behold
Brent, I'm not on his back, I'm just telling him that the hood risers aren't serving the purpose he thinks they are. They DO NOT allow air out of the engine compartment.

They are bad for a few reasons. You want the underside of your car to be as low of pressure as possible. This is for both aerodynamics, and downforce. Minimziing pressure under your car basically means restricting the amount of air you let down there. Hood risers allow high pressure air to enter the engine bay, and thus the underside of your car. Not good. Since hood risers also increase the pressure under the hood, the differntial pressure across the radiator will be lower, adn you'll get less airflow across the radiator. Not good.

I guess if he just wants it to look differnt, then so be it. But with those negative aspects I listed, I think its just stupid. Doing it for looks, despite the negative performance aspects would make me call him a ricer.
Kevin Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #32
BTM

BTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to behold
yeah i guess you are right, but hey, if the guy wants to do it despite the bad then so be it.

care to explain what a front air dam or splitter is? and how to effectivly make one?
BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #33
trojan
says eat shit and die

Quote:
Brent, I'm not on his back, I'm just telling him that the hood risers aren't serving the purpose he thinks they are. They DO NOT allow air out of the engine compartment.

They are bad for a few reasons. You want the underside of your car to be as low of pressure as possible. This is for both aerodynamics, and downforce. Minimziing pressure under your car basically means restricting the amount of air you let down there. Hood risers allow high pressure air to enter the engine bay, and thus the underside of your car. Not good. Since hood risers also increase the pressure under the hood, the differntial pressure across the radiator will be lower, adn you'll get less airflow across the radiator. Not good.

I guess if he just wants it to look differnt, then so be it. But with those negative aspects I listed, I think its just stupid. Doing it for looks, despite the negative performance aspects would make me call him a ricer.
yes your right i used them thinking they would help me and in fact they did the opposite. now i know this thanks to the knowledge of kevin doe. i just have one question, is the rx-7 done yet?
Old 09-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #34
Kevin Doe
Kevin Knows

LOL, no. Brent, if you want to swing over, I'll show you everything that I talked about on my car. I have incroporated all those conecpts into my RX-7 and could show you much easier than I could explain it on the net.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #35
coolnick
is a ricer

coolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud of
I was looking at the Beat Rush underpanel for my Evo, if they make one for your car then yes that would be a good mod. Splitters work great on the race track but aren't very practical on the street if they are low enough to be effective.

Drop that hood back down and in N/A form your cooling system is more than sufficent. I had to duct my radiator and and seal the radiator to the core support with foam insulation on the DSM, but only because I have more than doubled the original power output and thus heat load on that engine.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #36
Kevin Doe
Kevin Knows

^ And added restriction becuse of the intercooler etc.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:17 AM   #37
trojan
says eat shit and die

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnick View Post
I was looking at the Beat Rush underpanel for my Evo, if they make one for your car then yes that would be a good mod. Splitters work great on the race track but aren't very practical on the street if they are low enough to be effective.

Drop that hood back down and in N/A form your cooling system is more than sufficent. I had to duct my radiator and and seal the radiator to the core support with foam insulation on the DSM, but only because I have more than doubled the original power output and thus heat load on that engine.
the beatrush underpanel is something i have been looking at for awhile, just don't if its worth $170.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:53 AM   #38
redmike
ginger

Doesn't look like it covers everything very well.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #39
mach_u
Resident Ninja

mach_u has a spectacular aura aboutmach_u has a spectacular aura aboutmach_u has a spectacular aura aboutmach_u has a spectacular aura aboutmach_u has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
the beatrush underpanel is something i have been looking at for awhile, just don't if its worth $170.
I'm thinking you could make a template yourself and have it fabbed up cheaper than that?

'04 Screaming Yellow Mustang Mach 1- 309RWHP/325RWTQ (N/A) ~ 12.4 @ 111 Mph (N/A) - Sold!
Click Here For Mods
Factory Five Cobra - 5L FI, B-Cam, Trick Flow Heads, etc. - Sold!
2001 Nissan Skyline 300GT - Stock

mach_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #40
redmike
ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_u View Post
I'm thinking you could make a template yourself and have it fabbed up cheaper than that?
I would try to bring it up to the edge of the bumper for a better fit. And try to make it as wide as you could and still clear the wheels at full lock. Looks fairly easy to fab up. Thought about doing it to mine, but his looks way easier.