Fix it or fuck it? - Page 3 - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > General Car Chat

Old 06-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #41
grandmaGTP
shit dang

grandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of light
Do it, sell me your transmission lol
grandmaGTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #42
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdredd View Post
One of the boss's at work is from texas and has 3800 97 camaro. 114k miles, $2000 ... As can tell rust free and car isn't raped. Auto too. Car has only been up
here for 3yrs and did not see much winter driving as he had a few other vehicles for winter driving.

I know nothing of f-body setups.. Has drums so those would have to go. Trans would need most likely replaced with something built up a bit more, ls1 drive shaft and rear end most likely too.
The bellhousings are different on your FWD 3800 than the RWD aren't they?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #43
grandmaGTP
shit dang

grandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of light
Nope drop right in I believe
grandmaGTP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #44
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
Hmm. Didn't know.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3086667120.html
Kisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #45
jdredd
1,000 posts club

jdredd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisor View Post
thanks.. emailed him. Will see what he says. Asked him to get me pictures from under the car of the rocker areas to check for rust :)

When anyone jacks the car up with a regular jack on the pinch welds is the first thing to mess these up badly. It bends and busts em up badly. Idiot me when i first got the car listened to my brother who said it was fine 12yrs ago when I was a dumb kid...

If its good, Ill drive out there this weekend to buy it and part out my red car. To bad its a 2dr, but I can live with that I guess. I just gotta make sure not to slam my white car with it.

Plus i have all the parts to replace ICM and Coils :P if thats really the problem.

Looks like it was posted up today so may luck out.. But considering from Indiana rust is a risk.. can try tho. 2dr seem to rust less then the 4drs for whatever reason. Must be how the rear seat area of the frame there is made.

Last edited by jdredd; 06-19-2012 at 01:29 AM..
jdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #46
Mike
Fat Ricer Admin

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mike
So... It seems like a Camaro with your dropout would be faster than a Grand Prix? Whats the downside?

Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #47
v6motorheadftop
All slow no go

v6motorheadftop will become famous soon enoughv6motorheadftop will become famous soon enoughv6motorheadftop will become famous soon enough
Just FYI if you do go for the camaro and it's an auto, it can handle about 350-375 rwhp and about 350 rwtq. Upgrade to corvette servos, and that's probably as far as you would need to go with where your build is at this point
v6motorheadftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #48
bestracing
Someone took my Swingline

bestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteT View Post
$1000 gets you a 97 Camaro rs. Neat car, broken 3800. Slide your engine in there....right wheel drive. The car is pretty bad ass IMO. Just needs an engine.
That would be killer!!!

Quote:
I know nothing of f-body setups.. Has drums so those would have to go. Trans would need most likely replaced with something built up a bit more, ls1 drive shaft and rear end most likely too.
Not really, the majority of your braking is done by the front brakes. Our 67 Camaro came with stock drum brakes all they way around. Use to run 11.10's to 11.30's in the quarter and had no problems stopping at E2O or Tri-state. We did upgrade the fronts to disk brakes later on.

You can swap any other 4th gen rear end in as long as it has the same ABS set up, sensor on the housing or at the wheels (3 channel or 4 channel). Lower control arms, Pan hard bar and Torque arms fit from 82 through 2002. Sub-frame connectors are a must and if you want to find out more info stop over to NKYFBA.com

1986 Trans Am - just for cruising and having fun

Last edited by bestracing; 06-19-2012 at 09:32 AM..
bestracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #49
XCESSIV
CSS newbie

XCESSIV is on a distinguished road
Have the rockers in stock if you need them.

LKQ / KEYSTONE AUTOMOTIVE
New Aftermarket and Used Parts and Shop Supplies
Eric
513-475-7017
XCESSIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #50
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

WhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to behold
Drums are fine. I've been 142+ with mine
WhiteT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #51
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6motorheadftop View Post
Just FYI if you do go for the camaro and it's an auto, it can handle about 350-375 rwhp and about 350 rwtq. Upgrade to corvette servos, and that's probably as far as you would need to go with where your build is at this point
I am aiming for ~500whp when all is said and done on the current FWD setup in the works..

That is if every thing holds up and can start cranking up the boost...
Old 06-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #52
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Getting a friend that lives near the Indiana car posted on CL checked out. If no rust and checks out that its not a total turd I am gonna get it, and just scrap my car after gutting it and sell everything off.

I will probably end up buying the Camaro anyways if things work out and either drive it or storage it for a while and break it out later to do a conversion on it. Ill have two complete motors and a 3rd short block to work with plus the NA motor in the camaro it self. I don't have any fbody knowledge so if I do get it, I will have to do a lot of reading and bugging people to catch up on it before diving in and fucking up everything left and right like I usually do.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #53
v6motorheadftop
All slow no go

v6motorheadftop will become famous soon enoughv6motorheadftop will become famous soon enoughv6motorheadftop will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Getting a friend that lives near the Indiana car posted on CL checked out. If no rust and checks out that its not a total turd I am gonna get it, and just scrap my car after gutting it and sell everything off.

I will probably end up buying the Camaro anyways if things work out and either drive it or storage it for a while and break it out later to do a conversion on it. Ill have two complete motors and a 3rd short block to work with plus the NA motor in the camaro it self. I don't have any fbody knowledge so if I do get it, I will have to do a lot of reading and bugging people to catch up on it before diving in and fucking up everything left and right like I usually do.
had a 35r on mine for a little while, and have doen plenty of work on them. LMK if you have questions
v6motorheadftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #54
bestracing

bestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura about
There's not much you can screw up on a Camaro. Just one thing when dealing with drive line components, its torque that you have to worry about not HP.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #55
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

WhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to behold
He still has the 97 Camaro rs. Its a nice looking car IMO.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #56
bestracing

If I didn't have too many cars at home I'd buy it. A 91rs, 70 Z28 that needs restoration and my sons 2002 Grand dAMnit along with our two daily drivers and my 86 TA. I think my son is going to have to get rid of that 91 as I'm tired of looking at it.

Does it have leather seats? I might know someone that might want it.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #57
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

I think it does. Pm 8-2=turbobuick on here. Its his car
Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #58
bestracing

Oops never mind, He was looking for a 96. They have better leather seats than 97+
Old 06-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #59
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

Hell it might be a 96 lol
Old 06-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #60
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Find out tomorrow or saturday on the Indiana GP if its a rusted turd or not.

Got my aluminum bumper supports and aluminum subframe now sitting here. Sigh.