Know lifted trucks/jeeps? I have a few questions - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > General Car Chat

Old 06-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

cincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of light
Know lifted trucks/jeeps? I have a few questions
I just bought a 98 Cherokee Sport 4.0 4x4. I want a lift and tires but to be totally honest have never dealt with anything involving lifting trucks. I think I'm looking at a 3.0 to 3.5 lift to start with a 31 tire. Any suggestions on specific parts, brands, things I should know. Any help would be appreciated. I'll link the part package I found when get home. Thanks

Edit: can some explain the difference between the two 3 inch packages on here?

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/wheels-tires/complete-lift-wheel-tire-packages

Last edited by cincySVT; 06-07-2012 at 08:29 PM..
cincySVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
sxShep
Hamster Assassin

sxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to sxShep
Looks like the biggest difference is the leaf pack. Depending on how many miles are on your factory leaf springs, I'd say go ahead and replace the whole leaf assembly. With a 3 inch, that should be all you need although you may need to get rid of some death wobble by replacing some ujoints, bushings, slip yoke, etc etc later down the line. Check out jeepforums, there's guys on there that know a lot more than I do

How many miles you got on it now?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

cincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxShep View Post
Looks like the biggest difference is the leaf pack. Depending on how many miles are on your factory leaf springs, I'd say go ahead and replace the whole leaf assembly. With a 3 inch, that should be all you need although you may need to get rid of some death wobble by replacing some ujoints, bushings, slip yoke, etc etc later down the line. Check out jeepforums, there's guys on there that know a lot more than I do

How many miles you got on it now?
I heard from a few people that I need an adjustable track bar with any lift, that will help avoid dw. It has 170k but the po replaced a ton of parts, the majority of them being on the suspension. The Jeep is super nice, I just dont want to lift it without the proper knowledge of what I'm getting into.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/w8p12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincySVT View Post
We need to talk to push, but always down for hooters. Nobody can be mad with wings, beer, and titties in their face

Last edited by cincySVT; 06-07-2012 at 10:39 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
96eclipse
1,000 posts club

96eclipse is on a distinguished road96eclipse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 96eclipse
look on rough country website. they list everything thats needed to lift on proper. and also tell you what size tires will clear the lift kit. Keep in mind when lifting it your gonna have to get aftermarket wheels for the off set. big georges in milford is a good local shop. my friend has had good leads from him. He also stocks some lift kits
96eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/wheels-...-tire-packages

Well on this site, pretty much for about 1400 you get the lift, wheels, and 31s. Sounds like a great deal, and have talked to a few people that have got it. Ill check that store out though. Just trying to educate myself a bit.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
kyleh

kyleh is on a distinguished road
The biggest problem on the Cherokee seems to be the transfer case drop. Only can go up to 3" or so without dropping the case and a slip yoke eliminator. Only have a 2" with leafs in rear and spacers up front. it will get coils ASAP up front spacers suck.
kyleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
Grand National Propain
Plays With Fire

Grand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really nice
I've installed a few old man emu kits on cherokees for a customer, I've been pretty impressed with them. Im not sure where to buy them or how much they cost though. Might be worth a Google search.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand National Propain View Post
I've installed a few old man emu kits on cherokees for a customer, I've been pretty impressed with them. Im not sure where to buy them or how much they cost though. Might be worth a Google search.
Thanks ill check those out. Lmk if you would open to lending a hand on the install. I really want to learn truck suspension but I def don't feel confident enough to do it alone lol.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
mustangboy
CSS regular

mustangboy has a spectacular aura aboutmustangboy has a spectacular aura aboutmustangboy has a spectacular aura aboutmustangboy has a spectacular aura aboutmustangboy has a spectacular aura about
If you plan to do much off roading you really may want to consider 33's. If it is just for looks and will only see street use just stick with the 31's.

Untitled by mustangboy429, on Flickr
mustangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
meatmarket
Wheel Man

meatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand National Propain View Post
that is exactly what I was going to chime in with... I have done about 8 of them and love em to death!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangboy View Post
If you plan to do much off roading you really may want to consider 33's. If it is just for looks and will only see street use just stick with the 31's.
For looks but it will see trails a bit. But still a dd. Isn't cutting required to fit 33 with a smaller lift?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
P
german scheisse

P has a spectacular aura aboutP has a spectacular aura aboutP has a spectacular aura aboutP has a spectacular aura aboutP has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to P
(.2)OME is the shit... I've ridden with both an OME lifted xj and a Rough Country, both 3" both on 31 muds and the OME stuff felt nicer on the street. (.2)

I had a bad experience with Big George's, he lifted the yj and threw a locker in it. About a week after the lift my lugs somehow came lose/off and managed to egg shape my lug holes. I also bought a used ax-5 from him that he said had low miles and was a good trans. That one lasted a week also before the 5th gear snap ring broke off and lunched 5th gear. Never had a problem with the locker though

Hilltop Performance is another local one, never been...

stg 2: let the breaking of shit commence!
P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #13
Mannon
No car.

Mannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Mannon
I would def do an sye. Inexpensive and easy to do. Never had an xj but I'm sure sye driveshafts are readily available. I had perfomance clutch n drive do mine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
Mannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannon View Post
I would def do an sye. Inexpensive and easy to do. Never had an xj but I'm sure sye driveshafts are readily available. I had perfomance clutch n drive do mine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
I thought sye wasn't needed with small lifts under 3.5. Can you tell me why you do it (again noob question)
Old 06-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
evil8
Meatcurtains

evil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to all
That little of lift doesn't need the sye. I had a 6.5 rough country on our cherokee on 33s and didn't do it either.
evil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil8 View Post
That little of lift doesn't need the sye. I had a 6.5 rough country on our cherokee on 33s and didn't do it either.
Thats what I've been told also. Did you like the quality of the rough country stuff. I'm leaning towards them since they have really great lift/wheel/tire packages.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #17
kyleh

kyleh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincySVT View Post
I thought sye wasn't needed with small lifts under 3.5. Can you tell me why you do it (again noob question)

Its for driveshaft angle. Some people have ran small lifts and had odd drive shaft angles and vibrations so they needed a sye. Others have 6"+ lifts and only dropped the t-case a little bit and had no issues.
kyleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

Thats what I thought. So it looks like it may be one of those "wait and see" modifications. Good info. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
evil8
Meatcurtains

evil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to all
The rough country has a transfer case drop for the 6.5 lifts.
evil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #20
SmokinSrt
2,000 posts club

SmokinSrt can only hope to improve
Look into Iron Rock.
SmokinSrt is offline   Reply With Quote