Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Media Center

Old 10-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
mattman134
CSS newbie

mattman134 is on a distinguished road
86 Fiero GT "FyrHzrd" Pics
Hello All

I am new to the forum, and would like to start off by creating this thread about My 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT. Here are some links to my build thread, and pics:
Facebook Album (Includes full Mods list): http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1363134&type=3

Pennocks Fiero Forum, Build Thread (Includes full engine swap pics and other stuff): http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/107540.html

So heres the story:

Prologue

My first car, was a red 86SE, with the 2.8/auto. (this was the original recipient for the 3800 SC) It was dog slow, but it handled well and got decent fuel mileage. I got it in 2006, when I was 16. I loved that car. It was the car that I learned most of my auto knowledge from, because I was always fixing it. But luckily it was never anything major, and I drove that thing until I wrecked it in August 2010.

I tboned a lady in her 2002 VW Jetta VR6 while trying to pass her. Afterwards, I flew into a 3ft ditch and up the other side. She did an illegal U-turn on an unmarked road, so the Trooper determined that she was at fault. Her driver's side had both doors crushed in about 10", frame bent, etc. On my Fiero, the steel impact bar in the front was pushed back about 2 inches. The fascia and fander were destroyed, of course, but those are urethane and could have been replaced (if the ins. co. didnt total her first). I drove the car home, with a bent rear tie rod and two blown tires, riding sideways down the road with the air on I am thankful for the Fiero's 5-star Crash test rating! http://www.safecarguide.com/mak/pontiac/idx.htm

So here is where the story really begins:

After the insurance company totaled out the car, gave me $3000 and let me keep the car for free, I went out and found my current 86GT, in a guy's yard in Colerain. I got it or $1000. It was a 2.8 4spd manual. The car was in rough shape (Dash cracked, missing marker lights, cracked body panels) but the damn thing ran great. I drove it home, and immediately started fixing it up. I took the perfect interior out of the SE and put it in the GT. Dash came out, carpet, seats, mats, etc.

Then I started on the exterior, and replaced the front fender, door panel, and rear quarter on the passenger side, as the car was sideswiped by an Astro van in 2006. No frame damage though :D

I had already purchased the 3800SC that was originally intended for the SE. It was an L67 out of a 2003 Grand Prix GTP with 49,000 miles on it. I got the engine, 4T65E-HD trans, wiring harness and PCM for $800 including tax at the local wrecker yard, D&S Mckinney's in Hamersville.

I then purchased a swap harness from Injection Technology for $650. It was a custom made, plug-n-play harness, made with new wire and connectors. The harness came completely shrinkwrapped. It made things a whole lot easier. I purchased the custom mounts and brackets from a member on my Fiero forum, Pennocks Fiero Forum.

I purchased my complete suspension, which consisted of powdercoated front crossmember and rear cradle, new poly bushings all round, new ball joints, and tie rods for $500.

I went to autozone and ordered new brake calipers, rotors for an 85 Grand AM and a 94 Blazer Master cylinder for my brake conversion. The Fiero's factory brakes are not anything to talk about. They were junk, with their soldi rotors and faulty parking brake. The 85 Grand AM swap adds vented rotors, which greatly reduces brake fade. (I autocross, so this is a must)

After all the suspension was installed, I stripped the entire car of its body panels, and started sanding off all the old oxidized clearcoat with my DA for paint. The panels sat a while until my engine swap was done.

I dropped the 2.8/4spd powertrain out the bottom of the car in about 3 hours. Luckily, there werent any seized bolts or weld nuts spinning in the frame. I sat the old powertrain outside, and in went the 3800SC/4T65E-HD powertrain on the new powdercoated cradle. It was bolted in in about 3 hours, and I took the next 4 days to hook everything up and make sure everything was perfect. I also dropped the tank and installed the Walbro 255 pump.

When it came time for the first startup, the engine cranked, but I didnt have any fire. After hours of cursing, I found out that it was a bad CPS sensor. So after pulling the balancer and replacing it, it started up the first crank.

When I first took it up the road for the first time (No body panels, looked like a dune buggy) I had NO IDEA how fast it was going to be until I floored the pedal. It was amazing, how smooth it ran, and how I looked down at the speedo and I was doing 90 in what seemed like notime.

So I put the car away and began on paint. After searching and making up my mind 4 or 5 times, I finally settled on Cobalt Blue, which is actually a Suzuki truck color. I went with PPG Shopline, which is a decent budget line of paint. I went with the JP202 primer surfacer as well. I cleaned up all the panels, piece-by-piece and sprayed primer, and wetsanded with 600 in between. I had about 3 wetsanded coats of primer on the car. Once the base and clear were sprayed, I let it dry for about 3 days. I bolted all the panels back on the car and installed all the trim/lights/etc. This was on June 8, and it has been on the road ever since.

Other than routine maintenance, like oil, etc, this car has given me zero problems. The engine swap did away with all the reliability problems the previous 2.8 had, and I was left with a 240HP, 30MPG Daily Driver. The car has been modded since then, but that was stock. Now it is around 300HP at the crank, so about 240WHP/280WTQ. Havent had it dyno'd yet, but lower temps help out tremendously, due to the fact that superchargers, especially non-intercooled, heatsoak easily.

With just a 3" intake, 3" Exhaust, ZZP PCM and PLOG, it dyno'd 208WHP/240WTQ on a 102 degree day. Since then, I have added a 3.5 SC Pulley, which adds about 25HP/40TQ at the crank.

My best time ever with current mods, was a 13.07@ 103 with a 1.85 60'. All the current calculators say that I have about 265WHP for those times, but since I launch so well and have train-like torque at the dig, those numbers are more likely in the 240 range. I hope to break into the 12's next year.

Here are a few videos:

First time ever to a dragstrip, stock pulley 13.53@101

And a few pics:

Last edited by mattman134; 10-11-2011 at 11:12 PM..
mattman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
teddygram
STFU & GTFO

teddygram is a jewel in the roughteddygram is a jewel in the roughteddygram is a jewel in the roughteddygram is a jewel in the roughteddygram is a jewel in the roughteddygram is a jewel in the roughteddygram is a jewel in the roughteddygram is a jewel in the rough
Holy fuck im not reading all that, welcome none the less..... Sit tight and hold on for the ride.
teddygram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Meeners
Angry African

Meeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Meeners
You could post a picture of it...

Shift_Yo Paradigm Ma Fahka.
Meeners is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
vortech96ta
LSx

vortech96ta will become famous soon enoughvortech96ta will become famous soon enoughvortech96ta will become famous soon enoughvortech96ta will become famous soon enough
Welcome... Nice meeting you at the track last week.
vortech96ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
jdubya
MPG What?

jdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to behold
You wrecked a VW. I can't like you.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
silvergtp

silvergtp has a spectacular aura aboutsilvergtp has a spectacular aura aboutsilvergtp has a spectacular aura aboutsilvergtp has a spectacular aura aboutsilvergtp has a spectacular aura about
Welcome, cars looking good.
silvergtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
grandmaGTP
shit dang

grandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of light
plan on going to a smaller pulley anytime soon? looks like a fun setup, welcome
Old 10-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
srt21
I FASTR

srt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to srt21
40 roll?
srt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Biturbowagon
Nazi Sled

Biturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubya View Post
You wrecked a VW. I can't help but like you.
Fixed.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
vortech96ta
LSx

vortech96ta will become famous soon enoughvortech96ta will become famous soon enoughvortech96ta will become famous soon enoughvortech96ta will become famous soon enough
Damn it... As if I didn't have enough stupid damn thing I want to build. Now I want a lsfiero
vortech96ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #11
Carbon01GT
a.k.a. Badmeat

Carbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of light
He out-did Jdubya's pocket giraffe

Last edited by Carbon01GT; 10-11-2011 at 04:03 PM..
Carbon01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
HATEMENOW
Im just playin.

HATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HATEMENOW Send a message via Yahoo to HATEMENOW
i think you need this.....
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg COMP1A.jpg (59.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 10-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
Meeners
Angry African

Meeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to allMeeners is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Meeners
Love the car man... good job!
Meeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #14
shdw on th sun
sarcasshole

shdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of light
welcome
Old 10-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
The Punisher
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of light
Welcome
Old 10-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #16
evil8
Meatcurtains

evil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to all
Only the 84s caught on fire.

xtremeoutlawseries.com
evil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #17
mattman134
CSS newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt21 View Post
40 roll?
What kind of power is your car making? I know the Fiero does 0-60 in 4.4s (1.85 60'), but I dont know about the 40-100 time. 3800s make more torque than HP (Stock 240CHP/280CTQ, which is about 190WHP/220WTQ.) My Power band is a plateau from 3400 all the way to redline. Currently, I am putting down around 250WHP/300WTQ. Thats why my trap speeds are low for my times. 13.07@103. A Turbo car doing the same time would probably be around 106-110 MPH

Last edited by mattman134; 10-11-2011 at 10:24 PM..
Old 10-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #18
mattman134
CSS newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaGTP View Post
plan on going to a smaller pulley anytime soon? looks like a fun setup, welcome
I just went with the 3.5 ZZP Modular Pulley System (MPS)

I feel I could probably get away with a 3.4", but I am showing 1-2 degrees of knock at the 2-3 shift, which is about 6100 RPM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #19
mattman134
CSS newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil8 View Post
Only the 84s caught on fire.
I know. The reason nicknamed my car "FyrHzrd" is because everybody thinks they ALL caught fire, so I wanted to "go along with the hype" if youm know what I mean.

According to the NHTSA VSR, there have only been 135 confirmed complaints of engine fire, 122 of those while driving. Fires were almost exclusively limited to the 1984 Model Year.

1. People ran the Fiero hard, and didnt check oil.
2. Combined with a misprint in the manual calling for 3 qts of oil instead if the required 4.5, allowed the oil level to reach a dangerously low level, which would starve the engine for oil.
3. Rod bearing would seize, causing a rod to break, in turn punching a hole in the side of the block.
4. Hot oil, would spray on the catalytic convertor, causing a fire.
5. The fire would then spread to the 84's C500 Bulkhead connector, wiring, and eventually up to the magnesium center decklid grille. When Magnesium burns, it is near impossible to put out.

All 144,000 4cylinder cars from 1984-1986 were recalled. GM removed the rubber decklid seal to improve airflow, added heat shields and baffles to direct oil away from the cat in the event of an engine failure, installed a larger PF52 oil filter, and issued new user manuals calling for 4.5 quarts of oil.

Any fires today will be likely caused by faulty repairs, like shadetree fuel line rigging, or wire nutting the wiring harness, or something of the sort. I have had 5 Fieros, none have been on fire. If they havent caught fire after 26 years, then how much longer do I have to wait?

Last edited by mattman134; 10-11-2011 at 10:14 PM..
Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #20
srt21
I FASTR

srt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to srt21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman134 View Post
I know it does 0-60 in 4.4s, but I dont know about the 40-100 time. 3800s are torquey motors, but really run out of breath up high, without some head an cam work. Thats why my trap speeds are low for my times. 13.07@103
making my head hurt... Is that a yes or no
2006 Civic SI (reliable and awesome)
2003 Honda CRV
srt21 is offline   Reply With Quote