Turn signal led resistor help - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Tech > Interior & Exterior Mods

Old 09-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
rtvickers
CSS newbie

rtvickers is infamous around these partsrtvickers is infamous around these parts
Turn signal led resistor help
I have an 04 mustang. I put 68 led bulbs in the rear lights. I have the fast flash going on. I bought resistors and wired them like I was told. It didnt work. So I tried 2 resistors, it didnt work. So I tried 3 resistor, one per bulb and it didnt work. The first resistor I used was a 6ohm 50w. I went to radio shack and bought 6 100 ohm 10w resistors. The wires Im using are: Driver side grn/lt blue and black, passenger side or/grn stripe and black. If anyone knows anything about this your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
rtvickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
bestracing
Someone took my Swingline

bestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura about
Option #1

You need 4 resistors (if you only did the rear tail lights)

Resistor #1 - On the left, driver side, go across the Lt. Green/Org wire to the black wire on both sockets
Resistor #2 - On the right, go across the Orange/Lt. Blue wire to the black wire on both sockets

Do not hook them up in-line with just ONE wire. You have to add 1 resistor to each LED bulb including blinking side marker lights.

The problem is that the LED's don't draw enough current so putting a small ohm resistor across the leads will draw more current and make the original flasher work.

Option #2

Go to super bright leds and get an electronic flasher. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/c...tall-supplies/ It's a $13 dollar fix and you can have a mix of LED and filament bulbs and it will still work. This is what I did for my T/A since I didn't want to buy 8 resistors and cut my wire harness to make it work.

1986 Trans Am - just for cruising and having fun

Last edited by bestracing; 09-13-2012 at 01:37 PM..
bestracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
bigwoofersnet
Click.

bigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to bigwoofersnet
Ricer.
bigwoofersnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Dunc
BCICAN

Dunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Dunc
http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

But if you're just trying to fix the fast flash, then get the flasher module as said above. Need any custom colored blood red LEDs?

[/thread]

Last edited by Dunc; 09-13-2012 at 04:01 PM..
Dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
rtvickers
CSS newbie

rtvickers is infamous around these partsrtvickers is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestracing View Post
Option #1

You need 4 resistors (if you only did the rear tail lights)

Resistor #1 - On the left, driver side, go across the Lt. Green/Org wire to the black wire on both sockets
Resistor #2 - On the right, go across the Orange/Lt. Blue wire to the black wire on both sockets

Do not hook them up in-line with just ONE wire. You have to add 1 resistor to each LED bulb including blinking side marker lights.

The problem is that the LED's don't draw enough current so putting a small ohm resistor across the leads will draw more current and make the original flasher work.

Option #2

Go to super bright leds and get an electronic flasher. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/c...tall-supplies/ It's a $13 dollar fix and you can have a mix of LED and filament bulbs and it will still work. This is what I did for my T/A since I didn't want to buy 8 resistors and cut my wire harness to make it work.
I did option 1. I had one resistor per led bulb. I didnt put them in line. I put them in parrell. 2 wires per resistor. I used 100 ohm 10watt resistors from radioshack. But I think the socket takes a 25w stock bulb 3157. I have one 6 ohm 50w resistor. Should I use more of them? Or use 3 of the 10w resistors per led bulb?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
rtvickers
CSS newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

But if you're just trying to fix the fast flash, then get the flasher module as said above. Need any custom colored blood red LEDs?

[/thread]
I dont know the values to put into the calculator. As of right now Im good on the leds.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
87poopra

87poopra will become famous soon enough87poopra will become famous soon enough87poopra will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 87poopra
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtvickers View Post
I did option 1. I had one resistor per led bulb. I didnt put them in line. I put them in parrell. 2 wires per resistor. I used 100 ohm 10watt resistors from radioshack. But I think the socket takes a 25w stock bulb 3157. I have one 6 ohm 50w resistor. Should I use more of them? Or use 3 of the 10w resistors per led bulb?
Putting the resistors in parallel actually cuts the value of the resistance in half. You need to put the resistors in series in order to get the full value.
87poopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
rtvickers
CSS newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87poopra View Post
Putting the resistors in parallel actually cuts the value of the resistance in half. You need to put the resistors in series in order to get the full value.
How do you put them in series.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
ForceFed
Fu(k (ivility

ForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to ForceFed
End to end then across the two wires in simple terms.
Wire here•---•wire here the dashes being resistors.
ForceFed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
rtvickers
CSS newbie

I forgot to mention. I have a sequential system that I wired in. So I have 3 lights on both sides. So I should wire the resistor inline with the hot wire on each bulb. That would be in a series right? Parallel would be to use hot and ground in all three bulb sockets right? Should I use the 6 ohm 50w or the 100 ohm 10w resistors?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
ForceFed
Fu(k (ivility

ForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the rough
Smfh.

Just go to someone who knows what they are doing. The
Resistor needs to be across the hot and ground of whatever circuit you're trying to add load to. If a single wire and ground powers your three light sequence(?) then the load would be across that entire circuit. I guess it all
Depends in how you wired...what.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
rtvickers
CSS newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFed View Post
Smfh.

Just go to someone who knows what they are doing. The
Resistor needs to be across the hot and ground of whatever circuit you're trying to add load to. If a single wire and ground powers your three light sequence(?) then the load would be across that entire circuit. I guess it all
Depends in how you wired...what.
Lol what does Smfh mean? Its not that big of a deal. Im sure I will figure it out. I think I may be using too small of a resistor. If its a 25w per socket system and I have 10w resistors I think I need more 50w resistors.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #13
ForceFed
Fu(k (ivility

I've always used one resistor on Any LED circuit where incandescent used to be. I assume your using a large ceramic resistor?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
rtvickers
CSS newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFed View Post
I've always used one resistor on Any LED circuit where incandescent used to be. I assume your using a large ceramic resistor?
I bought these and tried them first. Which was only one per side.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-6ohm-50W-...d14999&vxp=mtr

And I bought 6 of these at radioshack yesterday.
http://speakerbug.com.au/shop/index....dex&cPath=16_5
Old 09-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #15
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
You should be using the 6 Ohm 50 Watt resistors on each bulb you have replaced.

Each 3157 conventional bulb when lit draws about 2 Amps of current.

I=V/R, I=(12 volts)/(6 Ohms), 12/6 = 2

2 amps is what your 6 Ohm resistors should pull and make the Flasher function correctly.

You have three bulbs per side and 2 of the 3 are dual filament brake/turn 3157's correct?

The running lights do not need to have resistors, just the brake/turn portion, I don't know what color the wires are for just that portion of your system but you will need 2 resistors per side one for each bulb with a turn/brake filament.

This sequential setup may be messing with the whole thing. Where does it splice in? you could possibly run the resistors before the sequential using two 6 Ohm or one 3 Ohm 100 Watt depending on how its wired with the sequential.

Hope that confuses the situation more......
Old 09-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #16
Dunc
BCICAN

Dunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Dunc
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtvickers View Post
How do you put them in series.
You obviously didn't click the link I provided. It gives you a wiring diagram with pictures and tells you exactly which resistor you'll need. It literally couldn't make it any easier to follow to wire up and type or amount of LEDs.
Dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
But you don't wire them in series. That will decrease load on the circuit. They should be paralleled with the lamp.
Kisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #18
rtvickers
CSS newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisor View Post
You should be using the 6 Ohm 50 Watt resistors on each bulb you have replaced.

Each 3157 conventional bulb when lit draws about 2 Amps of current.

I=V/R, I=(12 volts)/(6 Ohms), 12/6 = 2

2 amps is what your 6 Ohm resistors should pull and make the Flasher function correctly.

You have three bulbs per side and 2 of the 3 are dual filament brake/turn 3157's correct?

The running lights do not need to have resistors, just the brake/turn portion, I don't know what color the wires are for just that portion of your system but you will need 2 resistors per side one for each bulb with a turn/brake filament.

This sequential setup may be messing with the whole thing. Where does it splice in? you could possibly run the resistors before the sequential using two 6 Ohm or one 3 Ohm 100 Watt depending on how its wired with the sequential.

Hope that confuses the situation more......
Your close. With my sequential setup it uses the third light. I had to splice in a wire to power it. So its a 3 bulb setup. The setup for the sequentials splices in after the wiring harness connector. I had to cut the power wires to the two flashing bulbs and run them to the sequential and then it has three wires that that come out and go to each socket. So all I need to is get 4 more resistors and put them in series with at each bulb?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
rtvickers
CSS newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisor View Post
But you don't wire them in series. That will decrease load on the circuit. They should be paralleled with the lamp.
Paralell, got it. Thank you.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #20
rtvickers
CSS newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
You obviously didn't click the link I provided. It gives you a wiring diagram with pictures and tells you exactly which resistor you'll need. It literally couldn't make it any easier to follow to wire up and type or amount of LEDs.
Obviously you didnt see my reply to your link.