LSX build up - Page 11 - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Tech > Domestic Tech

Old 05-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #201
Blue99fbody
zip em up!

Blue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Blue99fbody
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roca Fella Bryan View Post
Hey Brent, can you post mass photos of this entire process as you do it? I'm curious and would like to see it. Haven't seen many engines torn down and shit in my days aside from little Honda engines.
my thread has the build from a bare block in it if your wanting to see pics

98 SS m6
99 Z28 nbm m6
09 Trailblazer SS
11 silverado ccsb 6.2
03 ZX-6R 636
01 ktm 300exc
32' baja twin 454s
www.dolce-vita-photography.com
Blue99fbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #202
BTM

BTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BES_Stroked_Nova View Post
another good investment while the motor is out is to check out a set of Katech Rod bolts. More strength, factory torque specs, so no worries of bearing clearance issues.
is why i figured the arp bolts would need more work that just a simple bolt replacement. maybe the arp bolts have a different torque spec, and should be honed for proper bearing clearances. idk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFed View Post
Shouldnt have to touch your bearings to do a rod bolt swap.....Proper torquing will be required. Is this an already assembled engine?
If so, swap one at a time.
im not a car/engine dummy, i just dont know ls1 specifics. the bottom end is assembled complete, but the heads are off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roca Fella Bryan View Post
Hey Brent, can you post mass photos of this entire process as you do it? I'm curious and would like to see it. Haven't seen many engines torn down and shit in my days aside from little Honda engines.
yeah i plan to get pics and a thread together when i have time to really dig into the car. its going to be a slow process, so it will either be a long time untill i get a bunch of work done then update, or update with one little thing at a time.

im really busy until i get home from vacation in about a month or so. hopefully after that ill be able to get some weekends in the garage to get solid work done.

also to get the car on the road its more than just swapping the engine. im doing full body work interior, exterior, and engine bay, plus cage install. so, bear with me lol. im not cutting corners for a faster finish. i want a well built car when its finished.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #203
Blue99fbody
zip em up!

Blue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Blue99fbody
go with the katech rod bolts for sure
Blue99fbody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #204
240Jeff
Riff raff

240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to 240Jeff
At first I was kinda mad you were ditching the SR. But I'm kinda digging the Lax swap simply because it's BTM and I'm happy that he's excited and motivated about his car again. Good luck buddy and I can't wait to see the results.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #205
BTM

BTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to behold
/\ thanks bud.

i think the engine swap is a good change. its refreshing. like you said, im motivated to work on the car and get it back on the road. if i were to continue with the sr setup the car would def. not be on the road this season(im going to try for that now), and maybe not even next year if i didnt get motivated.

an engine is just a part that powers a chassis. v8, turbo 4, rotary, they all do the same thing in a different way. no need to get caught up in who makes it or what cars are associated with them.

and lol at your sig.
BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #206
Roca Fella Bryan
You Mad?

Roca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue99fbody View Post
my thread has the build from a bare block in it if your wanting to see pics
Yeah I'll check that out. Car sounds mean BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotjunk View Post
You're part of Middletown now, pal. Keep it up and your profit percentage from our newest meth lab will be revoked.
Roca Fella Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #207
Dark-one
Frankenstien Cars

Dark-one has a spectacular aura aboutDark-one has a spectacular aura aboutDark-one has a spectacular aura aboutDark-one has a spectacular aura aboutDark-one has a spectacular aura aboutDark-one has a spectacular aura about
If it means anything my arp's are holding over 700hp
Old 05-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #208
bestracing
Someone took my Swingline

bestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura about
I have only used ARP bolts in my builds and have GREAT results with them. ARP recomends that you use a stretch gauge to properly torque the bolt as friction can cause false torque readings. The reasons I see on line for people selecting Katech is because you don't need to use the stretch gauge, just torque them to spec.

IMHO, Thats fine for most applications including yours but from what I have researched and have read straight from David Reher on race motors, they recommend to use rod stretch measurements on all rod bolts for an accurate torque. Plus the rod should be machined with the new rod bolts installed and torqued to spec.

For what you are doing I'd just go with the Katech, use a good thread lube, and just torque the rod bolts to spec in three steps: eg Katech torque spec = 50 Lb.Ft, so first torque is 25, second is 40 and last is 50.
For heads, rods and mains I always step up the torque to final spec.

1986 Trans Am - just for cruising and having fun

Last edited by bestracing; 05-05-2011 at 07:56 PM..
bestracing is offline   Reply With Quote