Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Tech > Domestic Tech

Old 03-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
1fast89z

1fast89z is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1fast89z Send a message via Yahoo to 1fast89z
Any mustang/t5 tranny gurus?
Im looking to have someone fix my damn tranny in my project, it grinds 3rd/4th gear and it's driving me nuts. It's like the title reads it's a t5 out of a mustang Im not sure of the year of the tranny because it was replaced once already before I got the car. Im not looking for a total rebuild, trying to get it done cheap as possible just so i can drive it this spring.
1fast89z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
dsmgod24
1,000 posts club

dsmgod24 is on a distinguished road
PM'ed

570awhp pump gas (old worn out engine)
New engine making great power.
dsmgod24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
badcoupe

badcoupe is on a distinguished roadbadcoupe is on a distinguished road
they're typically rather easy to go through. Sounds like you'll need blockers and possibly a couple of synchros. It's been a few years since I did any. Used to do them alot before I went C4 in my stang and the local population of these cars is gone. If I had the time I'd go through it but I've got too much on the plate these days. Hopefully someone here can help ya out.
badcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
1fast89z

I really don't know about blockers but synchos yes, can slowly put it into 3rd and it doesnt grind too much, same way with 4th.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
Mista Bone
Mistake Boner

Mista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to all
3-4 shitter fork, see if the pads are worn or fell off. if not cheap to replace while in there.

It is WC T5 or not?

Mista Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
1fast89z

^ I am not 100% sure but was told it is a wc t5, how the hell do i tell the difference?
Old 03-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #7
Mista Bone
Mistake Boner

Mista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to all
decode the number on the tag.

I had the link, but deleted it.

I was given a 4 cyl WC T5 to mess with, tore it apart, got frustrated and tossed it. Not as easy as Honda's!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #8
Tannerc91GT
CSS newbie

Tannerc91GT is on a distinguished road
hondas must be pretty easy then because T5s are the most simple manual trans ive been through. If you've got the time and patience, find someone with alldata or mitchell and get the print off for reassembly. They're a pretty good starting point if you're willing to learn.
Tannerc91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:50 AM   #9
Mista Bone
Mistake Boner

I spent quite sometime trying to split the case, yes to me Hondas are a cake walk.

Now someone who does a T5 might never be able to get a B series case back together.

OP: there are a few folks on SBZ that know their way through a T5.

Myself, I'd like to tackle Miata trannys except you need a few special sockets. A few SCCA Spec Miata drivers have asked me if I'd be willing. I've simply asked for a free core to split open and see.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
bestracing
Someone took my Swingline

bestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura about
I know one thing with T5's, you should look into upgrading the input and main shafts. Thats typically the "Weak Point" for most because of shaft deflection, causing the gears to ride on the edges and cause gear failure.

There's a few over on SBZ that should be able to help you out further.

1986 Trans Am - just for cruising and having fun
bestracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
Grand National Propain
Plays With Fire

Grand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really nice
Milts transmission service. 941-3338. I use to work there, they do gtreat work. Located I'm addyston. Ohio. Tell them you just want it patched and are on a budget, not a full rebuild.
Grand National Propain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #12
SpoonyGT
Motorboatin SOB

SpoonyGT is a name known to allSpoonyGT is a name known to allSpoonyGT is a name known to allSpoonyGT is a name known to allSpoonyGT is a name known to allSpoonyGT is a name known to allSpoonyGT is a name known to allSpoonyGT is a name known to allSpoonyGT is a name known to allSpoonyGT is a name known to allSpoonyGT is a name known to all
Just buy another T5 they are like 1$

#teamgrocerygetter
2007 300c - Slow Old People Car
2005 Cobalt SS/SC - Slow Ricer Car
SpoonyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #13
1fast89z

Thanks for the number Grand nartional, I will be calling them tomorrow and Spoony goodluck finding one under $400 cause i sure in the hell can't.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:17 AM   #14
CivicB18B
All American

CivicB18B has a spectacular aura aboutCivicB18B has a spectacular aura aboutCivicB18B has a spectacular aura aboutCivicB18B has a spectacular aura aboutCivicB18B has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to CivicB18B
The World Class and non-World Class can be seen on the rear of the tranny. A world class will have a bearing race that can be seen as here:

a non world class has a race as well, but it looks like a freeze plug:

I've done a bunch of these trannys, if you can't find anyone to go through it, I can get to it ASAP, I ONLY use Tremec parts as well with Timken bearings, no cheap discount shit.

Make it three yards, motherfucker, and we'll have us an automobile race.
CivicB18B is offline   Reply With Quote