Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > General Car Chat

Old 09-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
94delsol
CSS regular

94delsol is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 94delsol Send a message via Yahoo to 94delsol
which 4 door sports car? eclipse is going
getting rid of the eclipse pretty soon and after the 1st of the year we are purchasing a 4 door sports car

which one would you recommend?

ive been looking at the subaru WRX impreza, evo VIII, SRT-4

which ones are the (cheapest) to mod with quality parts
which ones are the (cheapest) to Tune with quality software
which ones are more user friendly in modding (upgraded turbo wise)

please add to the list if i didnt name a 4door car that you would recommend

THANKS
94delsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
dunny
crazy neon owner

dunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dunny
Buy coolnick's evo.......I know it was for sale at one point, might not be now but you could ask ;)

A mopar stage 3 SRT4 would be nice (but personally I'm sick of FWD, not sure what you think though). At any rate you can probably find a decent deal on an already tastefully modded SRT4 over at srtforums.com. Mods can be cheap but as far as tuning you'd have to use piggybacks or spend some $$$ on a full standalone.

I'm not much of a WRX fan but I have a friend that has one and it is nice....but I'd get an evo instead. I think mods for either cost more than mods for an SRT4.

'96 neon 11.822@118.82mph
'04 Dakota SXT CC 4x4
'91 318i
'06 325xi
'09 135i
dunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
94delsol
CSS regular

thanks for the input. the only thing is i dont know anything about Subaru's im sure the engine bays are really tight compared to my GST.

around how much would a full supportive stage 3 kit cost for a SRT4?

Old 09-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
dunny
crazy neon owner

I think STG3 is around $3k. But if you find someone who already purchased and installed it will be a lot cheaper. I think there have been STG3 SRT4s going for $15k-$17k with low miles (<30k).

Just check out the for sale section on srtforums.....
Old 09-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
Mike
Fat Ricer Admin

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mike
SRT-4 for a REALLY nice car, for cheap.

Evo, just because there sick.

Wrx, no.

RIP - Vinny, Hotrod, Ahmed, Blacklist...
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
bigwoofersnet
Click.

bigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to bigwoofersnet
You can pick up SRT-4's, already modded with a 50 Trim/Stage 3 for around 15k. I really liked my car, it's a fun car to drive.. But I've never really driven anything else, I will probably end up with another though. 120+ traps for 15k isn't bad, but obviously FWD = spin, but I hate "dig" races, so it didn't really bother me.. Easy to mod, inexpensive to mod. But, you have to use a piggyback to tune which is kind of a pain. Stage 3's are bolt on, so no tuning required. Turbo's are on the backside of the motor, which is kind of a pain.. but that's why I plan on buying one already modded.. You can pick up stockish or basic bolt ons for around 10-14k. I found one in Florida for 8k, but it sold before I could get ahold of it.

If I felt like spending the extra cash, an EVO... Ryan's (BlueByYu) and Coolnicks are pretty quick cars for basic bolt ons, Coolnicks being cammed.. Their both a turbo away from being really sick cars. I was looking at EVO's, you can pick them up for the high teens, 18kish.. and modded ones for around 24ish. Easy to tune.. But someone like Coolnick will be able to give a better opinion on them.

WRX, no. It's expensive and a bitch to mod/get power out of.
bigwoofersnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:14 PM   #7
94delsol
CSS regular

yeah evo's for around 20K i wouldnt like my payments being around 400+

im use to $200 payments on a 12K car no downpayment. i will have up to $4K for a downpayment if needed, have pretty good credit.

so what are some links to some nice SRT4's? any specific websites?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
bigwoofersnet
Click.

bigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud ofbigwoofersnet has much to be proud of
www.srtforums.com
This is the only SRT website that matters, it's huge. There's allot of good info there, and then allot of us know quite a bit, me, Alex, Mike..

Go to the FS section, there's quite a few for sale.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 PM   #9
srt21
I FASTR

srt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to srt21
If you're young and don't mind the neon then its the best bang for your buck kinda.... I'd rather have a WRX and just throw on a bigger turbo.... AWD will/would be more fun year round.... Boxer engine sounds badass.... My buddy put a factory (I believe it was factory) lip kit on it with some nice wheels and the car was sexy as hell.... Evo would be the obvious choice but cost seems to be an issue.... I'd suggest not limiting your options to just these cars....

I also strongly suggestion staying away from highly modified cars unless you are 100% sure of its condition.... Just saves you from buying a money pit and/or a engine thats on its last leg.....
2006 Civic SI (reliable and awesome)
2003 Honda CRV
srt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #10
coolnick
is a ricer

coolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud of
The Evo is the easiest to tune by a long shot with the WRX being a close second. All of these Neon guys should be telling you that the Neon will run like total crap unless you buy the expensive Mopar ECU upgrades. This small detail in my mind makes the car worthless to modify. We have had countless arguments on here about how they can't go partial throttle without the car bucking once they upgrade the wastegate. That is purely retarded.

You can get an Evo for high teens. With a flash and race gas you can run 12s. A WRX requires a billion dollars to run 12s. Same with the Neon. If you know you are going to mod it from the get-go the Evo is the best choice. In the end you will spend more on mods to the Neon to run the same times. There is no need to upgrade the Evo turbo, you just need intake exhaust and cams to be a baller.

Now that everyone is tuning them on their own there is a ton of good info out there. You don't even need a boost controller anymore, you can tune the factory solenoid. The cable to tune the car is $80 and the software is free.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #11
dunny
crazy neon owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnick View Post
The Evo is the easiest to tune by a long shot with the WRX being a close second. All of these Neon guys should be telling you that the Neon will run like total crap unless you buy the expensive Mopar ECU upgrades. This small detail in my mind makes the car worthless to modify. We have had countless arguments on here about how they can't go partial throttle without the car bucking once they upgrade the wastegate. That is purely retarded.

You can get an Evo for high teens. With a flash and race gas you can run 12s. A WRX requires a billion dollars to run 12s. Same with the Neon. If you know you are going to mod it from the get-go the Evo is the best choice. In the end you will spend more on mods to the Neon to run the same times. There is no need to upgrade the Evo turbo, you just need intake exhaust and cams to be a baller.

Now that everyone is tuning them on their own there is a ton of good info out there. You don't even need a boost controller anymore, you can tune the factory solenoid. The cable to tune the car is $80 and the software is free.
Hey now.....I vote Evo as well....but lets not forget I ran just as quick as your Evo with $400 worth of mods on the SRT4

But yeah you are right, I loved the SRT but I didn't like how the computers/tuning worked when you upped the boost. I know it can be dialed in pretty closely but it is much more involved then the other options. I just ran stage 1 ecu and never got into cutting wires to install a map clamp....I just felt that on a new freakin car I shouldn't have to do that!

At any rate for the money he is comfortable spending I'd still heavily consider an SRT4. I too would much rather have AWD but I bet an SRT could be found for $10k (if you don't mind 50-60k miles) and you could at least buy the STG2 upgrade and run high/mid 12's and still get 25mpg.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #12
MR2Don
Z OH SHIT

MR2Don is just really niceMR2Don is just really niceMR2Don is just really niceMR2Don is just really niceMR2Don is just really niceMR2Don is just really niceMR2Don is just really niceMR2Don is just really niceMR2Don is just really niceMR2Don is just really niceMR2Don is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to MR2Don
4 Door Sports Car!!!!

I kid I kid.

I love the sound of a nicely tuned WRX, but by far the cheapest is the SRT4, and the nicest would be the Evo.

-Don
MR2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #13
coolnick
is a ricer

coolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunny View Post
Hey now.....I vote Evo as well....but lets not forget I ran just as quick as your Evo with $400 worth of mods on the SRT4
What, 22" slicks?

coolnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #14
dunny
crazy neon owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnick View Post
What, 22" slicks?
Drag radials

My mod list is around here somewhere.....basically all I purchased was stage 1 and a k&n filter, but I did use a super duper $2 spring on the wastegate (kind of ghetto but it worked). I had the drag radials from my other neon.

Ah the good old days:

https://www.cincystreetscene.com/foru...ead.php?t=7613
Old 09-26-2007, 10:02 AM   #15
Fishey
CSS regular

Fishey is on a distinguished roadFishey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoofersnet View Post
www.srtforums.com
This is the only SRT website that matters, it's huge. There's allot of good info there, and then allot of us know quite a bit, me, Alex, Mike..

Go to the FS section, there's quite a few for sale.
They also sensor information on that website...

This is most importantly true of when its information concerning there vendors in a negative light regardless of justification.

I suggest a Volvo 240
I guess it depends on what you want but the 240 can do it all...
You could do a 16v turbo motor or a V8 Swap and get whatever power you wanted and.......

Rally 240's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l99--yUjgRA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOsKtLB5XcQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQA5wZBjGj0

Drift 240's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQfr_DJP8gk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP46BmuGLuI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1lDWvv-yeg

Drag 240's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyHIm-hvT_8
(740's basicly same car (drivetrane) but heavier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thgg45lhrIU

Last edited by Fishey; 09-26-2007 at 10:18 AM..
Fishey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #16
bjonesy77
2,000 posts club

bjonesy77 has a spectacular aura aboutbjonesy77 has a spectacular aura aboutbjonesy77 has a spectacular aura aboutbjonesy77 has a spectacular aura aboutbjonesy77 has a spectacular aura aboutbjonesy77 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to bjonesy77
get an evo, the 4g63 has proven its worth time and time again. Its also very easy to tune with a $100 tactrix cable, some free software, and some know-how. The wrx is the same way with the tactrix cable and free software. But you also have to look at the prices here, the evo is clearly the most expensive of the 3 choices you've listed if we are talking a regular WRX and not an STI.

Look into the STi, if its got the DCCD ( i think thats what its called) you can adjust the center diff. to send more/all power the either set of wheels. The transmission is MUCH stronger in the 6 speed STi than the wrx, and the STi is easily modded but parts arent so cheap.

SRT-4......no, unless your wife will be driving it.
bjonesy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #17
bjonesy77
2,000 posts club

bjonesy77 has a spectacular aura aboutbjonesy77 has a spectacular aura aboutbjonesy77 has a spectacular aura aboutbjonesy77 has a spectacular aura aboutbjonesy77 has a spectacular aura aboutbjonesy77 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to bjonesy77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
SRT-4 for a REALLY nice car, for cheap.

Evo, just because there sick.

Wrx, no.
mike just doesnt like WRX's because I have one
bjonesy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #18
bigwoofersnet
Click.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjonesy77 View Post
SRT-4......no, unless your wife will be driving it.
Well, his wife would beat you in a race which would be pretty funny.
And I don't know how you get off thinking a WRX is more sporty than a Neon, it's just as much a family sedan as your car is, except the Neon just happens to be faster.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #19
dunny
crazy neon owner

I do agree with the srtforums statements....it's a great site but the content is seriously questionable sometimes. In particular, some vendors can preach that the sky is green and just because they pay a "vendor fee" the admins let it happen. Lots of mis-information on there. But you can find good deals on parts/cars.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #20
Fishey
CSS regular

Fishey is on a distinguished roadFishey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunny View Post
I do agree with the srtforums statements....it's a great site but the content is seriously questionable sometimes. In particular, some vendors can preach that the sky is green and just because they pay a "vendor fee" the admins let it happen. Lots of mis-information on there. But you can find good deals on parts/cars.
Not to mention if you let other people know about a vendor who is making poor quality and not holding up to there warranty of parts they just delete the thread. Do a search on AGP "Race Intercooler", AGP "Exhaust Manifold", etc.. etc... out of the 9823923892 theads started I think maybe only a handful have gone undeleted.
Fishey is offline   Reply With Quote