Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Tech > Engine Tech

Old 03-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
razorx1
CSS newbie

razorx1 is on a distinguished road
cavalier cam pos sen
So i got this 2001 cavalier 2.2l. It was wrking fine then completely went out. I try to start it and after a few seconds of cranking it, it finally runs but then it dies just after a few seconds. Now, i'm getting fuel thru the injs and spark. I'm thinking the camshaft position sensor went out but i want to know what you guys think before i buy one. It had one replaced about two weeks ago and a week ago the crankshaft position got replaced. Any idea's?
razorx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
badcoupe

badcoupe is on a distinguished roadbadcoupe is on a distinguished road
look for the security light flashing after you try to start it. The car will run with n o cam sensor. If the security light is flashing let it flash it will take approx 15 minutes. Finally it will come on solid or go off completely. After that turn the key off then try to start it should start and run after that.
badcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
dre5491
I Haz Slow.

dre5491 is just really nicedre5491 is just really nicedre5491 is just really nicedre5491 is just really nicedre5491 is just really nicedre5491 is just really nicedre5491 is just really nicedre5491 is just really nicedre5491 is just really nicedre5491 is just really nice
Get a new car, but if you must keep the Caviqueer a Cam Position Sensor is like $45 why not just replace it?

Old 03-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
razorx1
CSS newbie

well its not the sensor anymore. I unplugged it and the injs stopped spraying. They started again once i put it back in. i'm thinkin fuel pressure regulator.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Widebody
2,000 posts club

Widebody is a glorious beacon of lightWidebody is a glorious beacon of lightWidebody is a glorious beacon of lightWidebody is a glorious beacon of lightWidebody is a glorious beacon of lightWidebody is a glorious beacon of lightWidebody is a glorious beacon of lightWidebody is a glorious beacon of lightWidebody is a glorious beacon of lightWidebody is a glorious beacon of lightWidebody is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Widebody
What does that have to do with anything? Its likely an ignition issue. Scan the car, Check distributor/rotor if it has one. I have never looked under the hood of a cavalier so I dont know what they have but start there.
Widebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
razorx1
CSS newbie

from what i've read the cam pos sensor lets the computer know when to spray the fuel. It has an ICm and coil packs but last week i wasn't getting spark because the crank pos sensor went out on it. So i replaced that and the car ran just fine. But then it just stopped for no reason. I started stripping it down and went ahead and checked the map sensor. It works fine but it fits into a hole into the intake manifold. But its pretty lose in there. I'm thinkin that its getting bad readings because the pressure might be leaking out of the manifold around the map sensor. Think this would cause it to not start?
And to badcoupe, i tried the security light but it never came on.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
badcoupe

ok the security issue is common just throwin it out there. Auto zone should be able to test the ign module for you. Only way to test crank and cam sensors is with scanner and or scope. If you have no spark at all it's likely either the module or another crank sensor.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
razorx1
CSS newbie

well i tested the crank and its actually working. so i guess its a module. but i talked to autozone and they said they test the icm. any idea on how to do that myself?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
badcoupe

You can't the icm yourself if you have zone test it test 3 or 5 times back to back