Infamous B5 A4 wheel bearings... - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Audi/VW

Old 12-13-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
blundar
jackass of all trades

blundar is a jewel in the roughblundar is a jewel in the roughblundar is a jewel in the roughblundar is a jewel in the roughblundar is a jewel in the roughblundar is a jewel in the roughblundar is a jewel in the roughblundar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to blundar Send a message via AIM to blundar
Infamous B5 A4 wheel bearings...
Car = 98 B5 A4 1.8t quattro 5spd.

I know I have at least one wheel bearing going out because it makes a humming noise that increases in frequency and volume with vehicle speed. I *think* it's both of my rear bearings. I had the car on a lift yesterday and both rear wheels spun freely but with a very very very slight noise compared to the front. There wasn't any up/down or lateral play when yanking on the wheels that I typically see on Hondas with bad wheel bearings.

Is there a better way to diagnose this issue a little bit more definitively?
Should I just buy both rears and do both at same time to be safe?
Both fronts too?

thanks in advance!
Zerolift: http://www.zeroliftautolab.com 5138742508
RIP Modular Depot.
blundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
meatmarket
Wheel Man

meatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the roughmeatmarket is a jewel in the rough
Mine are the same Dave, you are better off doing both rears, I will be doing mine in a week or two...

they shut up about 80-95 mph though.. just sayin...
Old 12-13-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
Mista Bone
Mistake Boner

Mista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to all
Dave, I ALWAYS replace suspension parts in pairs UNLESS they are from crash damage.

Would you replace brake pads on only one side????

Axles, Wheel Bearings, Rotors, etc.

Mista Bone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
apocalypse
CSS Rep King

apocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant future
If you have access to a set of chassis ears, they make wheel bearing diagnosis much easier...

Subscribe to my YouTube faggots...
http://www.youtube.com/user/apocalypse7011?feature=mhum
apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:45 AM   #5
Mista Bone
Mistake Boner

Mista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to all
WTF are chassis ears???

Why do I picture Mike running around with bigwoofersnet on his shoulders here?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
TPR
THE SHOW STOPPER

TPR will become famous soon enoughTPR will become famous soon enoughTPR will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to TPR
dang you should of asked me yesterday

all the knowledge around you & you jumped on css? lol

anyway i have done quite a few of these lil turds & the rears are 90% usually the problem, replace them in pairs.

just stay away from Vato-Zone bearings

Rob
In House Dynapack Dyno

Authorized Dealer for
Precision Turbo,WELDON, ERL,Golden Eagle, Injector Dynamics,DSS Driveshaft Shop, FULL-RACE,T1,CP Pistons,ATP Turbo,Thermal R&D,Who's timeslip is this? Fuck it ,I am using it.Hondata,VP Race Fuels,Competition Clutch,AVID Racing,Mickey Thompson, Garrett Turbo
Competition Clutch, Wiseco Pistons, M&H Tire,SPEC Clutch MANY More
TPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
TPR
THE SHOW STOPPER

TPR will become famous soon enoughTPR will become famous soon enoughTPR will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to TPR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bone View Post
WTF are chassis ears???
why do i feel like were on the tv show family feud.

anyway "chassis ears" are exactly what they sound like,

they are smalll ears with probe like wires that plug into a headset therfore detecting noises from different areas of the chassis.

example: if you have 4 probes pluged in put 1 probe on each shock & then go for a drive with your headset on & wait for your niose to sound & then you can moniter each probe to determine where the sound is coming from..

I thing your local Sprint store will carry the head sets & Ford had the Probe.
TPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
apocalypse
CSS Rep King

apocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant future

Clip to schock or anything that doesn't spin, plug into switch box, put on headphones, and listen for noises...
Old 12-13-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
Mista Bone
Mistake Boner

Ah, just fancy a stethoscope of sorts.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #10
apocalypse
CSS Rep King

Yes, but it allows you to listen while driving the car at the same time.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #11
Mista Bone
Mistake Boner

Yes, I understand that part....one of those "oh shit, killer idea" which helps when customer is always bitching about little noises and such.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #12
apocalypse
CSS Rep King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bone View Post
Yes, I understand that part....one of those "oh shit, killer idea" which helps when customer is always bitching about little noises and such.
Which is exactly what I used it for lol. Customer had a Galant making "noises" that no one else heard. Mitsubishi said to replace the wheel bearing because they kept complaining, but we had no idea which one to replace. Hooked up the chassis ears and STILL couldn't tell, so we just picked one.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #13
HATEMENOW
Im just playin.

HATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the roughHATEMENOW is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HATEMENOW Send a message via Yahoo to HATEMENOW
Dave, i work in audi parts call me at the audi connection and I'll take care of you. I know they are like 86 bucks a side retail but I will see what's the best I can do since you'll want to do both./
HATEMENOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
charlie
Administrator

charlie is on a distinguished roadcharlie is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to charlie
I just did my a few weeks ago. It took a weekend and I had to buy a shop press to remove the old bearing and press in the new one. To determine what side it was, I used two scientific methods

1. Had someone sit in the back seat and slide back and forth to see what side was the loudest
2. Listened while turning hard. If it gets louder when you are turning right, it is on the driver's side. Turning left, passenger side.

I found this write up and it made it a lot easier - http://audiworld.com/tech/wheel45.shtml

charlie

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote