Wheel bearing issues.. - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Subaru Discussions

Old 04-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
RTE117
RIP Hot Rod

RTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really nice
Wheel bearing issues..
To make a long story short, I had to replace a bad front bearing in a 99 Forester. I bought a new hub, bearing and seals which I took to Huck's Machine Shop to have pressed. Everything looked good and I went ahead and reassembled the knuckle. Again, all was well and the hub spun freely. However, after a short drive I noticed a vibration and so I checked for play with the wheel on and there is about a 1/4" of play.

I guess my question is: should I take the knuckle back to the machine shop? I don't want to seem like I'm pointing a finger, but I don't know why else I would be facing this issue again with a fresh hub/bearing since everything else is in good working order..
RTE117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Mike
Fat Ricer Admin

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mike
Can't really provide a solution, but I can say shit like this drives me crazy. I replaced all 4 wheel bearings and hubs on my Z, and then it got into an "incident" with a curb. Replaced the wheel bearing again, and it still vibrates.

I HATE suspension issues. I'm considering replacing EVERYTHING just so my car rides like it should, and doesn't vibrate.

Good luck, huck does good work from what I've heard.

Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
GODSPEED
hug it out

GODSPEED can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTE117 View Post
To make a long story short, I had to replace a bad front bearing in a 99 Forester. I bought a new hub, bearing and seals which I took to Huck's Machine Shop to have pressed. Everything looked good and I went ahead and reassembled the knuckle. Again, all was well and the hub spun freely. However, after a short drive I noticed a vibration and so I checked for play with the wheel on and there is about a 1/4" of play.

I guess my question is: should I take the knuckle back to the machine shop? I don't want to seem like I'm pointing a finger, but I don't know why else I would be facing this issue again with a fresh hub/bearing since everything else is in good working order..
you're positive its all in the bearing? up and down and side to side? no ball joint or tie rod issues?

Old 04-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
I see issues with the flange on things like this.... the part that presses inside the bearing gets corroded and slightly smaller allowing the two bearing halves to move around. This will waste a bearing in no time....

at the arrow

did you buy a new hub flange as well?? also the incorrect torque on the axle nut can cause this.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
RTE117
RIP Hot Rod

RTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really nice
Yes, the hub is new from Subaru. The axle is tight.

Ugh. So I'm wondering if the bearing is bad or the knuckle is warped, if even possible.

I'm gonna rip it apart again and take it up there and have them press it out. IDK what else to do.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
sxShep
Hamster Assassin

sxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to sxShep
already stated, but did you also check tie rod ends and ball joints?
Old 04-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
RTE117
RIP Hot Rod

Yes, both ball joints are perfect. I checked everything out as I disassembled it the first time to see if anything else could/should be replaced.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
RTE117
RIP Hot Rod

I think I got it..

On these cars, the rotor doesn't actually bolt up to anything; it's held in place by the wheel, which is held in by the lugs - obviously. Well, when the bad bearing was driven on for like 5K miles, it scored the rotor. I adjusted the brakes and it's a little better, but I'm definitely gonna have to replace the rotors if I want that vibration to subside..

Fuck cars.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
RTE117
RIP Hot Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Can't really provide a solution, but I can say shit like this drives me crazy. I replaced all 4 wheel bearings and hubs on my Z, and then it got into an "incident" with a curb. Replaced the wheel bearing again, and it still vibrates.

I HATE suspension issues. I'm considering replacing EVERYTHING just so my car rides like it should, and doesn't vibrate.

Good luck, huck does good work from what I've heard.
Dude, I know we disagree a lot, but I feel you..

Everytime I have a suspension issue, I want to just replace everything so the damn thing rides good.

"If it has tits or tires, you know it's gonna give you problems."