Gas in the oil - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Tech > Engine Tech

Old 04-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
stang99gtv8
Bang Bang

stang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nice
Gas in the oil
having some issues with my sonata and I'm curious as to what some common things could cause it.

So what could be some reasons of having heavy gas fumes in your oil and very thin looking/almost watery oil? Also, if you were to pull your PCV hose off and smell it directly to see what kind of fume smell it would have, what should it be?

R.I.P. Hot Rod - Ahmed - Colt45
stang99gtv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Roca Fella Bryan
You Mad?

Roca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to all
Take it to a Hyundai dealership. Warranty son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotjunk View Post
You're part of Middletown now, pal. Keep it up and your profit percentage from our newest meth lab will be revoked.
Roca Fella Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
whitedime
Burnoffs

whitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to whitedime
Start driving it like a Hyundai. Problem solved.

whitedime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
stang99gtv8
Bang Bang

stang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nicestang99gtv8 is just really nice
It's been to the dealer 3 times, apparently Hyundai's own engineers haven't quite figured out the issue yet according to some Hyundai forums. Guess that's what i get for going with a first model first attempt vehicle brand new....

I can't think there would be much more to look at for this than a fuel pump (which sits on top of the head for this car), a fouled injector, or piston rings. The smell I've been getting from smells like what you'd find when you take the head off of the block and you get a very specific oil/gas smell. Pull the dipstick and it wreaks of almost pure gas. I'm trying to get an idea of what this could be to hopefully guide the dealership in the right direction, since they don't seem to be able to figure it out on their own yet. This being Columbia Hyundai.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

WhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to behold
I'd say a badly designed pcv system could cause it. The pcv system is supposed to suck up and combust all the fuel and water vapors in the crank case. Also an overly rich condition can cause it too.
If you pull the pcv valve with the car running , do you have a vacuum at the valve?

Last edited by WhiteT; 04-11-2011 at 07:56 AM..
WhiteT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
stang99gtv8
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteT View Post
I'd say a badly designed pcv system could cause it. The pcv system is supposed to suck up and combust all the fuel and water vapors in the crank case. Also an overly rich condition can cause it too.
If you pull the pcv valve with the car running , do you have a vacuum at the valve?
Interesting you say that.

The first time it went in for service, it was for a faulty PCV hose that had collapsed. They have at this last time put a new PCV hose and valve in. It fixed the smell in the car that was pouring in, but not I still get little whiffs of the fumes, and the engine oil still is full of gas smell. I'm used to seeing oil be pretty thick and green after a fresh change, this oil looks pretty darn clear and isn't as thick as it seems like it should be.

I'll pull the PCV hose off again and see if the new one is sucking or not. I know that before they replaced the hose and valve, I pulled it with the car off and sniffed it to see what it smelled like, and it smelled like pure gasoline, same as it would smell when pumping it from a pump, not this burnt gas/oil smell that's been the issue to this point.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

SloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to behold
What weight oil are they using?? If the shit's like 5w20, its going to be very thin oil to begin with.

PS - grow a sack and tell the dealer to fix it or give you a new car.
SloRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Roca Fella Bryan
You Mad?

Roca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to all
Or its got a 100k mile warranty. Hand it over to RFB and I'll keep that bitch in spool-mode and blow it up.

Schwing! New motor time!

Roca Fella Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
DonnieTsunami
out of the game

DonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to behold
good ol hyundai

Fucking Ricers
DonnieTsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
stang99gtv8
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRice View Post
What weight oil are they using?? If the shit's like 5w20, its going to be very thin oil to begin with.

PS - grow a sack and tell the dealer to fix it or give you a new car.
Not sure of the weight though I assume 5w20, but I'll ask them. I assume by the 6th change in a week they probably grabbed the cheapest shit they had and put it in.

And yes, the plan was to let them get to the 4th time of fixing it before doing anything above taking it for repair because then I have a much better lemon law claim if they don't get it right. They get one last chance before I ask them to give me a different one or I'll take it to their arbitrator and give it back. I just hate to do that because I love the way the car drives other than this shit.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #11
Nati
Baller

Nati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang99gtv8 View Post
Not sure of the weight though I assume 5w20, but I'll ask them. I assume by the 6th change in a week they probably grabbed the cheapest shit they had and put it in.

And yes, the plan was to let them get to the 4th time of fixing it before doing anything above taking it for repair because then I have a much better lemon law claim if they don't get it right. They get one last chance before I ask them to give me a different one or I'll take it to their arbitrator and give it back. I just hate to do that because I love the way the car drives other than this shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Lemon Law
Has the Manufacturer Had a Reasonable Opportunity to Repair the Vehicle?
If you can answer "yes'' to any of the following four questions. the manufacturer is presumed to have had a reasonable opportunity to repair your vehicle under Ohio law.

Have three or more attempts been made to repair one problem and then the problem occurs again?

Has the vehicle been in the shop for 30 days or more during its first year or 18.000 miles?

Have eight or more attempts been made to fix different problems that impair the use, value or safety of the vehicle?

Has one unsuccessful attempt been made to fix a problem that could cause death or serious injury?
I would say you are already eligible for lemon law
Old 04-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
stang99gtv8
Bang Bang

Sounds like I am to me as well. I'll give them this one last shot, if it isn't fixed then, I'll simply say give me a new one or it's I'll file for a lemon law status.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
Nati
Baller

Nati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to all
Quote:
Sounds like I am to me as well. I'll give them this one last shot, if it isn't fixed then, I'll simply say give me a new one or it's I'll file for a lemon law status.
http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/OH_LemonGuide.html
This site lays out how you should go about it. I have never had to do so but this seems like good legit info.
Nati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #14
DonnieTsunami
out of the game

DonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to beholdDonnieTsunami is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati View Post
http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/OH_LemonGuide.html
This site lays out how you should go about it. I have never had to do so but this seems like good legit info.
my dad has lemon'd a car before, so i know its possible lol
Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
stang99gtv8
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieTuscani View Post
my dad has lemon'd a car before, so i know its possible lol
Who did he go through? Did he do it himself or go through a lawyer?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #16
Biturbowagon
Nazi Sled

Biturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to behold
Keepupp on here had a lemon too. Few years ago. May wanna ask him how he took care of it.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
DonnieTsunami
out of the game

Quote:
Who did he go through? Did he do it himself or go through a lawyer?
you know, I'm not really sure. It happened about 7 years ago through Porsche. there was an issue with his ABS trouble light coming back on, sp he had the car serviced like 3 times to fix the issue but they couldn't. Similar to your issue, but I don't know if he just worked with Porsche or involved a lawyer. I could ask him for ya
Old 04-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #18
stang99gtv8
Bang Bang

That would be great. This is about to go in the 4th time and I just got off the phone with hyundai corporate "consumer affairs" to inform them that there won't be a 5th time.

I'd think it would be extremely beneficial to them to, worst case scenario, replace anything that could be related to fuel system or fuel getting into the oil before actually having to take the car back. How much could it cost to yank the injectors that are easy to get to and the fuel pump that's on top of the block and replace them to see what that does. Maybe there is some costs or things involved in doing so that I don't know of, or maybe their techs just blow ass at being troubleshooters.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #19
bestracing
Someone took my Swingline

bestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like you've done everything you can now it's up to them to get it right. It could very well be that the rings did not seat and you are getting too much blowby. I know our race car had to have the oil changed out mid season and it would smell of the high octane fuel but it wasn't overwhelming. Typical of high compression motors. Our leak down readings were 0.5 to 1 (error of the gauge) so I'd say they were sealed pretty good. It's just you don't run a race motor at the drag strip long enough or get it hot enough to vaporize all the water and gas in the oil, thus you have to change it more often.

1986 Trans Am - just for cruising and having fun
bestracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #20
schrags
CSS regular

schrags is a jewel in the roughschrags is a jewel in the roughschrags is a jewel in the roughschrags is a jewel in the roughschrags is a jewel in the roughschrags is a jewel in the roughschrags is a jewel in the roughschrags is a jewel in the rough
Do you take a lot of short drives, like only a few miles?
schrags is offline   Reply With Quote