RPM/Idling issues (b20 non vtak) - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Honda / Acura Discussions

Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
ullBsorry
You all make me laugh

ullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the rough
RPM/Idling issues (b20 non vtak)
b20 non vtak swapped into a 92 Teg Manual bout two months ago

Problem is:

Mornings (like this today) I get in my car, fire it up and proceed to drive to work. Its about a good 15 min drive..some on the highway so the motor and etc is plenty warm by the time I get off the highway or stop anywhere for that matter. When I push the clutch in to come to a stop...the rpms stay around 1500...when i come to a complete stop the rpms shoot up to 1800ish and hover there.

Whats wierd is that is I were to for example leave my work at 5 and drive to the gym (15ish min drive on hwy)...it does the same thing BUT when im leaving the gym bout an hour later and fire the car up...the rpms will hover around 800 where they should be and it'll be fine.

Seems like i really only have this problem on cold starts and the rpms hover higher when the outside temp is cooler.

I had to swap the dizzy from my b18 to the b20 and i did mess with the timing to put it where it needed to be (according to the book and online) and if its in time the dizzy is adjusted WAYYY forward which I think it weird.

Any thoughts/suggestions. Ricers from H-T havent really helped out any...
At least this idiot gets it
ullBsorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Mista Bone
Mistake Boner

Mista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to all
when it hovers above 1500 rpm when warm, will it start to cycle the rpms if left alone?

1000 to 1800 rpm, fuel cut, rpms drop, repeat like a ricer?

Fast Idle Thermo Valve needs tighten up, but also check psychical cam timing. IACV could also be dirty.

Go through the basics first.

Mista Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
ullBsorry
You all make me laugh

ullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the roughullBsorry is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bone View Post
when it hovers above 1500 rpm when warm, will it start to cycle the rpms if left alone?

1000 to 1800 rpm, fuel cut, rpms drop, repeat like a ricer?

Fast Idle Thermo Valve needs tighten up, but also check psychical cam timing. IACV could also be dirty.

Go through the basics first.
it doesnt really do that. if it does it only does it once or twice and then idles high. IACV is brand new so that shouldnt be the issue. In my mind I believe its the timming (from dizzy) or the idle screw. I messed with both but havent touched either in over a month.

Only problem with the dizzy is that if i put it in time with the marks...the dizzys slants all the way forward instead of being in the middle somewhere like it should. If i bring the dizzy back to the middle area the marks show that the timing is off.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
Check your coolant level. If its low and there isn't any going through the IACV it could cause this.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
ullBsorry
You all make me laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisor View Post
Check your coolant level. If its low and there isn't any going through the IACV it could cause this.
last time i checked it was good to go but i plan on replacing the t-stat this weekend so guess its a good time to top it off and make sure its got plenty
Old 09-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
brent_si™
Ramming speed!

brent_si™ has a spectacular aura aboutbrent_si™ has a spectacular aura aboutbrent_si™ has a spectacular aura aboutbrent_si™ has a spectacular aura aboutbrent_si™ has a spectacular aura aboutbrent_si™ has a spectacular aura about
My si always idled like that when it needed a valve adjustment. Might sound weird but after I adjusted them it stopped.
brent_si™ is offline   Reply With Quote