Any seasoned Subaru techs on here? - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Subaru Discussions

Old 01-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
Any seasoned Subaru techs on here?
Looking at an '03 Outback H6, supposedly needs an engine, sounds like no or low compression while cranking. These are a chain motor and as far as i know they are an interference engine. Are there any common valvetrain issues/chain issues? Its only 66k mile car, no history on why or how the engine quit.

Used engines are pricey, $2000 and up, I just don't want to have too much invested.

Anyone who has experience with the H6? Input or opinions welcome.

Thanks,

Brad

Old 01-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

SloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to behold
Only H6 knowledge I have is the guys that are pulling the pistons/rods out of them to install low compression ones and boosting the motor.

But the H6 has been around forever, so I would assume its a relatively stout motor.
SloRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
Yea i don't know of any real "issues" with this engine. It may be as simplea s an ignition problem and the cyl's are washed down. Its been sitting for 2 years so who knows.
Kisor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Tuned200
Small Boost.

Tuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really nice
TiC was doing head gaskets on one the other day when I was up there picking up parts. They seem to know them pretty well. Might call them and pick their brains.

2006 Subaru Forester XT 5 Speed
2007 Subaru Forester STI 6 Speed
2008 Suzuki Blvd.
Tuned200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned200 View Post
TiC was doing head gaskets on one the other day when I was up there picking up parts. They seem to know them pretty well. Might call them and pick their brains.

Cool, you have their number handy?

I could Google it I guess :P
Old 01-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Here is another general question, anyone heard of a car having a salvage title because of a bad engine? List from subaru for a long block is $7000, I guess if it were written up as a new replacement it could outweigh the value and be turned in on insurance.

This was bought at auction buy the current owner and needs the state inspection to be tagged. The guy didn't seem shady but there are a few unanswerable questions.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
turninconcepts
CSS newbie

turninconcepts is on a distinguished roadturninconcepts is on a distinguished road
We can take a look at it for you. There are a few different H6's that have been used over the years. The one in that car should be the 2nd revision of the 3L with 3 port heads. Give us a call if you want to talk about it. 513-860-3508

Tony
turninconcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 AM   #8
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Thanks Tony, I'm waiting to see if the guy will come down on the price for now. I bought a van to fix and sell in the mean time.... I think my main question was if they had any known timing issues? It sounded like the chain had jumped on this one
Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
turninconcepts
CSS newbie

turninconcepts is on a distinguished roadturninconcepts is on a distinguished road
No real issues to report. There is no service interval on the chain from subaru. Clint's wife's outback with H6 has 140000 miles on it now and all that has ever been done to it from a motor perspective is spark plugs and oil changes. Still runs very well.

Tony
turninconcepts is offline   Reply With Quote