Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > General Car Chat

Old 06-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
jdredd
1,000 posts club

jdredd is on a distinguished road
Fix it or fuck it?
Started to pull my interior out today to get ready to do my turbo setup drop in. One to get the interior out so could clean it out nicely and inspect floor, and two, it was just old and nasty and smelled from sitting.

Found in the trunk the rear struts have rusting to them not HORRIBLE but needs addressed eventually soon.

And rocker panels on both sides are rusted out pretty good all the way down.

Do I say drop it in, and have car just rust away all around me?

Do I try and find someone local that can fix it for dirt cheap?

Do I say fuck it, take a hit on $10k worth of engine and trans and sell it all and scrap the car?

Sucks cause i've been working on getting this all going for a long time, and I guess this past year or so, the rust really kicked in and just ate it away.

I don't know if I feel like spending $10k to fix rust and paint ....
jdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
kyleh

kyleh is on a distinguished road
Rust convertor paint and patches as needed. No need to start over if its already basically finished...
kyleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleh View Post
Rust convertor paint and patches as needed. No need to start over if its already basically finished...
Its rusted out all the way down on both sides under the doors...

Not my car but what has happened...

Old 06-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
kyleh

kyleh is on a distinguished road
Holy shit!
kyleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Mine is not THAT bad, but its bad enough to make me give it all up and say screw it... if i leave it for another year, it will be like that or even worse.

Unless I could pay someone like $1000 to fix it all I think I may just scrap the car here shortly... sucks.. paid $22k for it 12yrs ago... and now its barely worth scrap.

Last edited by jdredd; 06-14-2012 at 08:07 PM..
Old 06-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
sxShep
Hamster Assassin

sxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to sxShep
What kind of car is this again?
sxShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
shdw on th sun
sarcasshole

shdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxShep View Post
What kind of car is this again?

^ this would be of value

i say trash the car and buy a LSx
Old 06-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

WhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to behold
Gut it and racecar it
WhiteT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
BTM

BTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to behold
you have rust nearly that bad, and you have never noticed it untill after you spend thousands of dollars on an engine for the car? thats not like missing a few surface rust and quarter size holes. i cant see how you could miss that the car is missing a huge section of the underside while working on it.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
you have rust nearly that bad, and you have never noticed it untill after you spend thousands of dollars on an engine for the car? thats not like missing a few surface rust and quarter size holes. i cant see how you could miss that the car is missing a huge section of the underside while working on it.
The car has sat not moving for quite some time in my driveway. And last time I had checked it wasn't bad at all. Its all hidden behind body molding. As I said, mine is not AS bad as in the picture but it appears now its starting to get to that point. If I open my doors and look down, unless i'm down there staring at it, I can't tell. But today as I started to work on it, I noticed a small area just bubbled up a bit.. I got a flash light and pulled back on the trim and noticed where there was metal a year or so ago, no longer is. I haven't driven or looked at this car much in ~3 years... other then moving it in/out of driveway for whatever reason... Today was the first day of working on it.

I know stupid me for not keep up on it before I bought all that shit, but parts I have been getting bit by bit for quite some time. Block I had done was done over two years ago.

Btw its a 98 Grand Prix ... ya i know turd, nothing new to me.

I am gonna shop around to see what kinda quotes I can get.. Shop down the road from me, and neighbor 3 doors down does stuff on the side, and another person suppose to call me back.. I figure, if I could get it fixed for ~$1000 cash I'll go for it... Cause other wise, as I can tell, rest of the car is still pretty good.

Last edited by jdredd; 06-14-2012 at 11:15 PM..
Old 06-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
grandmaGTP
shit dang

grandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of light
Find another shell? If not sell me the trans for a heavily discounted price?
grandmaGTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaGTP View Post
Find another shell? If not sell me the trans for a heavily discounted price?
Possible on shell.. If can find one for cheap not beat to fuck and rusted out.. harder to come by. Really bums me out...

Will find out tomorrow what I'll be doing... down to three choices..

1) fix it and go on...
2) gut the piss out of the car. half ass fix the rust area my self to keep it from dropping rust all over the ground when at the track.
3) scrap it and run

If #1 isn't do able.. I am gonna see if Sean is on board with me to do #2... I figure if it now gets turned to just race track only.. I can then totally gut the thing down to under 3000lbs easily.
I figure I could possibly get it to 2900lbs.

I really want to do this ... I've already put a lot of time and $$ into this without even opening the hood yet.

Last edited by jdredd; 06-15-2012 at 01:24 AM..
Old 06-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #13
silvergtp

silvergtp has a spectacular aura aboutsilvergtp has a spectacular aura aboutsilvergtp has a spectacular aura aboutsilvergtp has a spectacular aura aboutsilvergtp has a spectacular aura about
Put it in the white car.
silvergtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #14
Funkmaster
Uncle Ben

Funkmaster is just really niceFunkmaster is just really niceFunkmaster is just really niceFunkmaster is just really niceFunkmaster is just really niceFunkmaster is just really niceFunkmaster is just really niceFunkmaster is just really niceFunkmaster is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Funkmaster
imho id say take the hit and dump the whole thing. Youll probably be happier in the long run if you buy something thats a better platform to build on than a fwd family car. Ive dumped enough money into my 2 CRXs to buy a C5Z, so I can relate. Dont get me wrong I love my car and im sure you love yours too, but there are definitely times when I wish I would have just started with something better/faster in the first place.

1985 Mugen CRX Si Replica.
Funkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:50 AM   #15
Cut Throat
CSS newbie

Cut Throat is on a distinguished road
Run it till its trash, haven't seen a big market for performance off this kind of car anywhere near local. So might as well do what you can with what you got.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #16
silvergtp

silvergtp has a spectacular aura aboutsilvergtp has a spectacular aura aboutsilvergtp has a spectacular aura aboutsilvergtp has a spectacular aura aboutsilvergtp has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut Throat View Post
Run it till its trash, haven't seen a big market for performance off this kind of car anywhere near local. So might as well do what you can with what you got.

Actually pretty easy to get parts, intense in Columbus and Zzp in Michigan both have a huge aftermarket for gp's
silvergtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #17
evil8
Meatcurtains

evil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to allevil8 is a name known to all
Fiero swap.
evil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #18
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

WhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to behold
$1000 gets you a 97 Camaro rs. Neat car, broken 3800. Slide your engine in there....right wheel drive. The car is pretty bad ass IMO. Just needs an engine.
WhiteT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #19
killer025
hitokiri battousai

killer025 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil8 View Post
Fiero swap.
X2... just saw a nice 4 banger fiero on CL pretty cheap. Old man owned and driven.
killer025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #20
jdredd
1,000 posts club

If I was going to swap into another car, Fiero would be the choice.. I'd have to swap back to stock intake manifold setup, and get normal headers to feed into turbo but not a crazy problem.

Hopefully can make a choice on this today...