consistent random misfire 2007 LGT 2.5 Turbo - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Subaru Discussions

Old 12-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
Remman4
CSS regular

Remman4 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Remman4 Send a message via Yahoo to Remman4
consistent random misfire 2007 LGT 2.5 Turbo
Hey guys,
We picked up Allan's sweet old scooby and it has been great so far with one exception...

The car recently had the spark plugs replaced @ 93k miles, Denso Iridiums, and it is still throwing random misfire codes for multiple cylinders... 1-3 mostly if that matters

I have seen some folks online that have said it could be as easy as a vacuum leak or as bad as reflashing the ECM

Anybody have any experience with this issue?

Car runs well, issue is mostly at idle, still boosts 12lbs etc.

thanks in advance for any pointers

any good independent subaru mechanics?
2004 VW GLI 1.8T Platinum Grey (200hp VW)
2007 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Wagon (Wife's grocery getter)
Remman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

cincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remman4 View Post
Hey guys,
We picked up Allan's sweet old scooby and it has been great so far with one exception...

The car recently had the spark plugs replaced @ 93k miles, Denso Iridiums, and it is still throwing random misfire codes for multiple cylinders... 1-3 mostly if that matters

I have seen some folks online that have said it could be as easy as a vacuum leak or as bad as reflashing the ECM

Anybody have any experience with this issue?

Car runs well, issue is mostly at idle, still boosts 12lbs etc.

thanks in advance for any pointers

any good independent subaru mechanics?
I actually had the same issue last winter on my speed6. Whenever I would get into boost it would misfire and throw that code. I eventually figured it out. The Denso Iridiums I had in the car were toast. Seemed the maf got dirty, made the car run stupid rich, plugs toast. Check them again. And do a boost leak test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincySVT View Post
We need to talk to push, but always down for hooters. Nobody can be mad with wings, beer, and titties in their face
cincySVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

SloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to behold
any mods done to the car?
SloRice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
Tuned200
Small Boost.

Tuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really nice
^Good question. Take it to a dealer. Why keep throwing money at it. Also put in an oem replacement plug.

2006 Subaru Forester XT 5 Speed
2007 Subaru Forester STI 6 Speed
2008 Suzuki Blvd.
Tuned200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Remman4
CSS regular

The car has an SPT cat back exhaust, but is otherwise stock for engine mods

at one point it had an intake, but due to issues with the MAF that was returned to stock before we bought it

I thought the plugs were OE replacements, maybe they were NGK iridiums and not Denso; I will double check with the shop who did the work

It was rough at idle before the new plugs, they were replaced due to mileage on the old ones
Old 12-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

SloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to behold
If it had an aftermarket intake, it most likely had one of those oily filters on it. First thing I would do is clean the MAF sensor and do a battery pull to reset the ECU.

Buy yourself a can of this stuff and go to work.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...7CGRP2030C____

where are you located at?

Last edited by SloRice; 12-20-2010 at 01:41 PM..
Old 12-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

cincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remman4 View Post
The car has an SPT cat back exhaust, but is otherwise stock for engine mods

at one point it had an intake, but due to issues with the MAF that was returned to stock before we bought it

I thought the plugs were OE replacements, maybe they were NGK iridiums and not Denso; I will double check with the shop who did the work

It was rough at idle before the new plugs, they were replaced due to mileage on the old ones
Im willing to put money on it that its either a) your maf or b) your plugs. Do what tuned said and reinstall the oem plugs. I went and bought the 2 dollar plugs for the speed6 and thats how I found out mine were toast. Then replaced with step 1 denso's. Good luck
Old 12-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
Remman4
CSS regular

It did at one point have the oiled filter, but it has been running a standard paper filter for a few thousand miles. I would have thought that the MAF would have cleaned up by now.

I do not have the old plugs, but may go out and get a new set of OE plugs for s & g

I am located near Kenwood mall
Old 12-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

The MAF doesn't clean itself. You have to do it.

Who did the plugs the first time?? What are they gapped to?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
apocalypse
CSS Rep King

apocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant future
Put in OE plugs, correctly gapped, and clean the maf like everyone said. Start with the cheap easy stuff. I guarantee that'll fix it.
apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

What he, and everyone said. Get the electronics clener, cheap plugs and do work
Old 12-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #12
Tuned200
Small Boost.

Tuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really nice
When I sold my legacy to a guy from cleveland he called me a few weeks later saying it was misfiring.It was at the dealer the day he bought it as they were replacing the valve cover gasket. He ended up taking it in and they said that 1 of the coil packs was not plugged back in correctly. I would check that as well

Last edited by Tuned200; 12-21-2010 at 05:22 PM..
Old 12-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
Remman4
CSS regular

thanks guys, I will keep you posted
Old 12-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
Tuned200
Small Boost.

Strange this comes up as my 2007 forester xt Turbo just threw a p0301 cylinder 1 misfire code.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #15
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned200 View Post
Strange this comes up as my 2007 forester xt Turbo just threw a p0301 cylinder 1 misfire code.
What type of intake gaskets do these use? many cars with plastic/silicone type gaskets have issues when the weather turns this cold. I know the older subies had an aluminum intake and graphite gaskets but i haven't messed with anything newer....

Is the op's car a coil on plug type? Or does it use paired coils like the older ones?
Old 12-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #16
Remman4
CSS regular

The dealer tech mentioned that these newer 2.5T engines are having intake manifold gasket issues and a leak down test was suggested

that will hopefully take place today and then I will share the results with the group

these cars have the coil pack directly booted on the plugs very much like a VW 1.8T

stay tuned...
Old 12-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
Tuned200
Small Boost.

Coil on plug type.

His car has a plastic intake manifold.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #18
Remman4
CSS regular

well, the leak test shows the engine is nice and tight... that's the good news

the bad news is that the subaru master tech at Beechmont Subaru has been battling a similar issue on another 2.5T and can't isolate the problem...

now they will have two to play with to sort it all out

I will update this post as I hear more
Old 12-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #19
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

Have you cleaned the maf with electronics cleaner and changed the plugs to oem ones. Both very easy to do.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #20
Remman4
CSS regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincySVT View Post
Have you cleaned the maf with electronics cleaner and changed the plugs to oem ones. Both very easy to do.
the car is not in my hands at the moment