Aquired an 83 Mustang GT, looking for options on what to do - Page 2 - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Ford Discussions

Old 10-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #21
mustangboy
CSS regular

mustangboy has a spectacular aura aboutmustangboy has a spectacular aura aboutmustangboy has a spectacular aura aboutmustangboy has a spectacular aura aboutmustangboy has a spectacular aura about
I agree, a nice 5.3 or 6.0 truck motor would be a great budget swap

Untitled by mustangboy429, on Flickr
mustangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #22
cooguyfish

cooguyfish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cooguyfish
Things I said in the beginning of my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooguyfish View Post
I would love to have something that runs 12's in the 1/4, sounds sexy, and looks nice to drive down the road.

I've pretty much settled on a 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gear.

In my limited knowledge of fords I have a guess of what might make a decent engine.
-89-92 GT engine
-GT40 aluminum heads (I've heard they are a great inexpensive stock explorer item, don't know what years though).
-aftermarket cam (not sure which, but I'd like to be able to rev to 6500, or 7000 RPM).
-Full exhaust (headers, H-pipe, and all)
-Raise the comp up to say 10, 10.5:1 more if anyone says I can
-I've read, that using longer rods will get you more power/reliability. Reducing piston speeds, and increasing dwell time if I remember correctly? I don't know what rod choices there would be if any to accommodate that, but if there are I'd love to know.
-Balance the rotating assembly
-Don't know if I'd go EFI or carb. I've never dealt with a carb, (mine has carb presently), I'd prefer EFI just because I'm used to it, and with todays technology I'd think getting a stand alone I could program would be easy for a V8.

What kind of power would an engine built like that make? Obviously cam choice, and carb/efi would make a big difference but a ball park would be swell.

-Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvette98 View Post
How many monies do you want to spend?
As little as possible, that's why I was going to start with a rear end change, maybe a cam, and headers. Then later I wouldn't mind spending a bit on a built motor.

Now usually how I do things is instead of say buying a 302 and T5, I would just pick up a wrecked GT and pull my parts myself, sell the rest, scrap the frame.

Might as well throw this out there now, I'm only shooting for 300-350.

Not that I don't like the LSx V8's, but I want a drop in swap right now. I have a lot of other projects, and I mean a lot. So something that will bolt right in would be swell.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #23
jfisher

jfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to jfisher Send a message via MSN to jfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooguyfish View Post
Things I said in the beginning of my post

As little as possible, that's why I was going to start with a rear end change, maybe a cam, and headers. Then later I wouldn't mind spending a bit on a built motor.

Now usually how I do things is instead of say buying a 302 and T5, I would just pick up a wrecked GT and pull my parts myself, sell the rest, scrap the frame.

Might as well throw this out there now, I'm only shooting for 300-350.

Not that I don't like the LSx V8's, but I want a drop in swap right now. I have a lot of other projects, and I mean a lot. So something that will bolt right in would be swell.
An LSX will bolt in...

2013 Cruze Eco 1.4T 6MT
1993 Mustang
2007 Yamaha R1
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #24
mustangboy
CSS regular

mustangboy has a spectacular aura aboutmustangboy has a spectacular aura aboutmustangboy has a spectacular aura aboutmustangboy has a spectacular aura aboutmustangboy has a spectacular aura about
If you wanna make 3-350 you will need a good h/c/i combo. Your best bet is to find a stock drivetrain and do a cheap on3 turbo setup. Look over on stangbangerz you should find all you need there. Keep in mind I have a very well built 347 and it only made 400 to the wheels so keep your goals closer to the high 200 maybe low 300 mark and you wont be disappointed
Old 10-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #25
bkvette98
It broked...

bkvette98 is a name known to allbkvette98 is a name known to allbkvette98 is a name known to allbkvette98 is a name known to allbkvette98 is a name known to allbkvette98 is a name known to allbkvette98 is a name known to allbkvette98 is a name known to allbkvette98 is a name known to allbkvette98 is a name known to allbkvette98 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to bkvette98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher View Post
An LSX will bolt in...
WTF, are you going over to the dark side too?!
bkvette98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #26
ForceFed
Fu(k (ivility

ForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to ForceFed
If it were me, first thing I would do is buy a for sale sign.
Old mustangs are garbage rattlebox's.
ForceFed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #27
cooguyfish

cooguyfish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cooguyfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangboy View Post
If you wanna make 3-350 you will need a good h/c/i combo. Your best bet is to find a stock drivetrain and do a cheap on3 turbo setup. Look over on stangbangerz you should find all you need there. Keep in mind I have a very well built 347 and it only made 400 to the wheels so keep your goals closer to the high 200 maybe low 300 mark and you wont be disappointed
when I say that I mean crank, not wheel.

I'd still be happy with mid to high 200's.

Put it this way, the fastest car I've ever owned was a car I turbo'd that weighed 2400 lbs and ran 14.47 @ 99 MPH with a 2.41 60' That car only had 140or so WHP, but it had short gears.

I'm sure the mustang built right will be able to beat a 2.41 60' ;) which reminds me, I have no attachment to the 7.5" rear, I was just confirming that it had one and it wouldn't be suggested to use it. I'm sure I can get the power/weight ratio much better with the mustang, so with traction, and more power I'm sure I'd be in the mid 13's, maybe better. For now this is good enough for me.
cooguyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #28
mustangboy
CSS regular

Sounds like you just need to find an entire stock drivetrain. Sounds like a stock setup with some 4.10's would make you quite happy.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #29
vortech96ta
LSx

vortech96ta will become famous soon enoughvortech96ta will become famous soon enoughvortech96ta will become famous soon enoughvortech96ta will become famous soon enough
Let's see some pics of this beast
vortech96ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #30
jfisher

jfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvette98 View Post
WTF, are you going over to the dark side too?!
Nah, but several companies make bolt in k members now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFed View Post
If it were me, first thing I would do is buy a for sale sign.
Old mustangs are garbage rattlebox's.
Have you ever owned one?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #31
ForceFed
Fu(k (ivility

ForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the rough
I've owned four fox bodies.
Thanks.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #32
jfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFed View Post
I've owned four fox bodies.
Thanks.
Weird, must have had all shitheaps I guess ?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #33
ForceFed
Fu(k (ivility

Nope, they were nice, but these older cars are just rattle boxs, hard to work on, and very tempermental IMO. I love the styling, hate the rest.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #34
dsmawd350
6.x liter

dsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to dsmawd350
hard to work on? foxbodies are about the easiest car to work on ever...
dsmawd350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #35
ForceFed
Fu(k (ivility

Not ten years ago when they were still trying to crack the EEC system for tuning. Fun cars, but most today have squeeks and rattles that will never be cured.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #36
jfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmawd350 View Post
hard to work on? foxbodies are about the easiest car to work on ever...
No shit lol. Foxes are basically what people learn to work on. This isn't 10 years ago, this is 2011... The EEC IV is an ancient ECU.