Fuel in oil - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Tech > Import Tech

Old 07-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

cincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of light
Fuel in oil
So I bought a car to dail y because the Jeep was killing me in gas. 1989 e30. About a week after buying it I have these issues:

-won't turn over. Takes about 5 minutes of constant trying before it catches and stay running. Even then it runs extremely rough.
-under full throttle the car will "buck" similar to fuel cut on a boosted car.
-noticed the slight oil plan gasket leak is now and puddle. Checked the oil and its water thin almost and smells of gas.

Of course this could mean bad rings, but when the car runs after it warms it rips, no issues minus the occasional "buck." I was leaning towards a bad fpr or a leaky injector. The filter and pump are supposedly newer. How would I check the fpr and or injectors? I've never check fuel pressure before. Thanks for any help.
cincySVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
badcoupe

badcoupe is on a distinguished roadbadcoupe is on a distinguished road
Bad injector or regulator coolant temp sensor could also make it excessively rich as well
badcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

cincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of lightcincySVT is a glorious beacon of light
Would that allow fuel and oil to mix though? I replaced the fpr, no change.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Carbon01GT
a.k.a. Badmeat

Carbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of light
Hopefully the gasoline additive in your oil makes it polish your shit.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

SloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to behold
If an injector is stuck open, it will wash down a cylinder and you will get gas in the oil. Pull the plugs and see if 1 is wet maybe??
SloRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #6
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

SloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to behold
I would also get the oil changed ASAP before the oil/gas damages the engine.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

Ok I will pull the plugs tonight. Can someone give me the procedure to checking fp of the pump. Despite it being newer, per the po, I better eliminate that. Should I just put a "t" on the line that goes into the fpr or should I go back towards the rear by the fuel filter?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

yea, you just want to T in a line up by the fuel rail and put the gauge there. If you put in a new FPR and there is no change, I doubt its a pressure issue.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

Yeah zero change starting wise. Maybe injectors? I guess I can swap them, they are pretty cheap. Or get those bench tested?
Old 07-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

Did you pull the plugs yet?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
Sounds like coolant temp sensor or mass air issue

Testing for CTS:

Test resistance of sensor - should be 2000-2500 ohms at 7 degrees F., 275-325 ohms at full engine operating temperature. The reference voltage to the sensor should be 5 V and the ground should show 0 V. If reference voltage is significantly higher or lower, look for high resistance connection or shorting to power or ground in the wire harness, especially at connector C191, 8-pin connector under the intake manifold.

For Maf. and other :

1. Recommend checking for full system voltage from engine control module relay. This voltage should be available at all of the fuel injectors, the center pin on the idle control valve connector, the evaporative purge solenoid and at pins 36 and 37 of the engine control module.

2. Verify airflow meter is working properly by checking pin 3 at airflow meter for reference voltage, pin 2 for varying voltage depending on load/door movement, variable voltage at pin 1 depending on air temperature and good ground at pin 4.

3. Check coolant temp sensor for variable voltage/resistance depending on engine temperature.

4. If external sensors are working properly, internal failures of engine control module can be tested by tapping on control module case with a rubber mallet and see if vehicle starts running better.

5. Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) should have continuity to ground at pin 52 of engine control module with throttle closed. Pin 1 of TPS connects to pin 2, ground, when closed throttle. Pin 3 connects to ground at wide open throttle.

6. Crankshaft sensors should provide a smooth sine wave pattern on an oscilloscope.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

Funny you say that kisor. Did stomp test to pull the codes from the dme and boom coolant temp sensor. Swapping it in the morning along with pulling the plugs. See how that goes lol.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

WhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to behold
I would check for loose lug nuts. I've seen this a thousand times.

9.7@139.5 with the v6

Update: Turbo LSbandwagon build in process
WhiteT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
Biturbowagon
Nazi Sled

Biturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to behold
Isn't this motor a 2 cycle?

Lol
Biturbowagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

Lol. I guess it is now.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
cincySVT
Damn Krauts

Ended up being the CTS. Replaced, bled the cooling system and it started the first time. See, CSS is still functional

Thanks again guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincySVT View Post
We need to talk to push, but always down for hooters. Nobody can be mad with wings, beer, and titties in their face

Last edited by cincySVT; 07-29-2013 at 07:26 PM..