Need advice on a DD I might Buy - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Toyota / Scion Discussion

Old 06-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
The Punisher
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of light
Need advice on a DD I might Buy
So I have the chance to buy this DD that's good on gas for $500 wanted to know if its a good buy and how reliable it will be.

1988 Toyota Corolla SR5

112k miles, white with red interior. AM/FM cassette, sunroof. Automatic transmission.
I’m the third owner. Has been my work car for a few years, but needs a little a work now.
Needs:
Battery and positive battery terminal.
Brake light is on, even though brakes seem to work fine.
AC does not work, but adding Freon might fix.
Blows a little smoke when started, but does not use oil between changes.
Otherwise runs good. Has a little rust on each side by the rear wheel – shown in pics.

Thanks,
Tony
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Mike
Fat Ricer Admin

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mike
Its $500 for a running car. Wtf advice do you need?

Just don't get drunk and tell everyone its a Supra.

Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
The Punisher
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Its $500 for a running car. Wtf advice do you need?

Just don't get drunk and tell everyone its a Supra.
No shit, I don't know shit about these older cars figured I would ask. First time buying something old. I can care less what it is, just looking to keep miles down on the other vehicles.

Last edited by The Punisher; 06-26-2011 at 05:51 PM..
The Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
sxShep
Hamster Assassin

sxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to sxShep
I saw that on Ohioccwforums, was thinking about picking it up for a gas saver... then I saw it was an auto
Old 06-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
The Punisher
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
I saw that on Ohioccwforums, was thinking about picking it up for a gas saver... then I saw it was an auto
Yeah he said he would take $500 for it and figured I may look into it. Either that or buy another gun lol, auto doesn't bother me.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
WaggysS2000
Lovin Life

WaggysS2000 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WaggysS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllegalDreams View Post
Yeah he said he would take $500 for it and figured I may look into it. Either that or buy another gun lol, auto doesn't bother me.
Go for the gun! I will take the car

need something for pizza delivery
WaggysS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
BTM

BTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to behold
if it runs and drives for $500, you cant ask for much more. if you only get a couple months use out of it then scrap it for $200-300 youre doing alright.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
The Punisher
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
if it runs and drives for $500, you cant ask for much more. if you only get a couple months use out of it then scrap it for $200-300 youre doing alright.
Thanks Brent, he originally was asking $700 but I offered $500. Just a little beater to fart around in durning the summer.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
srt21
I FASTR

srt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nicesrt21 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to srt21
its fucking 5 bills man lmao....
2006 Civic SI (reliable and awesome)
2003 Honda CRV
srt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
BTM

BTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to behold
but really as far as reliability, these older cars can sometimes be surprising. chances are if its running and driving alright now it wont degrade to complete shit in a short amount of time. the mileage isnt too high for the age, and if you can deal with minor issues its probably a halfway decent car.
BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
The Punisher
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
but really as far as reliability, these older cars can sometimes be surprising. chances are if its running and driving alright now it wont degrade to complete shit in a short amount of time. the mileage isnt too high for the age, and if you can deal with minor issues its probably a halfway decent car.
Sound's great, the vehicle's we have now we would like to keep the miles low. Honestly its not for me, its for my Fiancée she drives back and forth to Eastgate everyday for work. And the miles are racking up fast, so we tossed around the idea of buying another car like an RSX, G35, 350z so on that's better on gas.

Issue is I want to make sure it gets her to work and back because she is spending like 3-400 a month on gas. Even considered a hybrid for her I don't know shes being picky and I just happen to come across this. Not even sure if she will drive it or not who knows.

If not I will sell it and buy a gun or something else
Old 06-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #12
BTM

haha, my wife would kick my ass if i tried to put her in that.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
The Punisher
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
haha, my wife would kick my ass if i tried to put her in that.
That's what I'm thinking as well I can see her saying I rather just spend the extra gas money. Than drive that, I kinda mentioned buying it and she gave me that look like why. Lol
Old 06-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #14
Mike
Fat Ricer Admin

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mike
Lol. Yeah keeping the miles off a v6 g8 seems silly. That car will lose $500/month in resale regardless of miles. Plus an RSX or 350z is worth more than the car you're trying to keep miles off of.

That said, a running / driving car for $500 is always a good deal.

Last edited by Mike; 06-26-2011 at 10:37 PM..
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
BTM

you also have to factor, why have the nice car and pay for it and drvie a jelopy so you dont have to drive your nice car?

i drive cheap crap cars so i dont have to have an expensive car. if i had a nice car i wouldnt continue to drive my crappy one.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #16
gzus13
CSS newbie

gzus13 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gzus13
To answer your original question (if you're still considering this), that might be the most reliable car you ever own, especially with that mileage.

I've got an 88 sedan (same motor and trans) and it just rolled over 250K and still runs like a champ and gets 30+mpg. Couldn't ask for a more reliable car.

As far as the brake light, on these Corollas, the brake and battery charge light share a common ground, so if one comes on, the other can too. You said the battery is going, so it could be tripping the brake light as well. Could also be the e-brake switch or the reservoir cap sensor.

Good luck. I've always had a soft spot for these cars.
1986 Corolla GT-S
1987 MR2
1988 Corolla DX
1995 Integra GS-R
www.superhachi.com
gzus13 is offline   Reply With Quote