Looking for some RX8 info.. - Page 4 - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Mazda Discussions

Old 07-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #61
xander
2,000 posts club

xander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to xander
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTE117 View Post
For all say I should get a Corvette, well yeah I've obviously considered it. The C5Z and Terminator are my two favorite cars.

I considered the 8 because of the 8-year/100K warranty on the rotary (obviously goes poof with any mods) and the fact that they are cheap(er). Even dealers are only asking 12-16K for low mileage, certified 8's. It would just be my luck that the warranty would end and it would take a massive shit. I'm still nowhere near sold on these cars. The insurance is ridiculous too.

Fuck.
I pay $100 a month for full coverage with $300k worth of insurance...I dont think that is too bad....when I quoted insurance for a lexus is 300 it was 130 a month...the agent told me the car is considered a four door coupe and for whatever reason the ins is fairly cheap..allthough i wish it was around $50 bucks a month..but thats just life.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #62
RTE117
RIP Hot Rod

RTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really nice
Progressive wants $9xx every 6 months. That's for 100/300/100. I have a good record too..

But as Hot Rod said, it's a nice car all around but it's not a great candidate for weekend beast. That's what concerns me. When the warranty is up, I'd want to be able to boost it.

Are 6-speed C5's in the mid-teens now??
RTE117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #63
Mike
Fat Ricer Admin

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mike
Quote:
Progressive wants $9xx every 6 months. That's for 100/300/100. I have a good record too..

But as Hot Rod said, it's a nice car all around but it's not a great candidate for weekend beast. That's what concerns me. When the warranty is up, I'd want to be able to boost it.

Are 6-speed C5's in the mid-teens now??
Lol yes. You can get Z06's for bottom $20k's.

Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #64
Mr. FC3S

Mr. FC3S will become famous soon enoughMr. FC3S will become famous soon enoughMr. FC3S will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedime View Post
You just can't stay away from shitty chassis can you?
Yeah, he should buy an awd econobox with fender flares and a turbo instead.

A rotary is of current a niche motor, if you like it when you drive it, go with it, if not, forget it. From what i understand the best way to boost the motor is to rebuild it and mill the rotors so they accept 2mm seals. Then you have to get something to tune it(i think cobb accessport can handle this? not sure on the ems situation on the 8s) then as for the turbo, the smallest thing I would think of getting would be something like a t04e 57 trim. Otherwise it's going to be like boosting any other small motor. As far as tuning goes I wouldn't take a turbo rotary to anyone other than chris ludwig in indiana. As long as you don't want it to blow up.

Parts alone to take apart the motor and put in 2mm seals with new o-rings and seals/springs needed to be replace would probably be around $1000 plus having the rotors milled and labor if you don't do it yourself.

I've also heard of people just tossing the renesis all together and pulling an rew out of an FD or getting a jspec one and rebuilding it instead. (you'd have the stock FD twins to work off of then for turbos as well)

My mind is a clusterfuck of rotary information so dont take everything i say word for word though.
Mr. FC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #65
whitedime
Burnoffs

whitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to whitedime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. FC3S View Post
Yeah, he should buy an awd econobox with fender flares and a turbo instead.
Jealous much? It must suck to be such a broke dick that you have to settle for a car I could buy with the money I spend on eating out in just one month alone.

Last edited by whitedime; 07-18-2009 at 10:02 PM..
whitedime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #66
Squale iii
Palshctib

Squale iii is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianDave View Post

maybe it's just me. granted i've never beat on any or pushed any to any limits but i've driven a few c6 vettes (when i worked at chevy) and i just didn't feel it. maybe it's just not my thing. i just am getting tired of hearing about vettes already its like even when someone is asking "hey whats a good minivan for my family?" seven different guys will come in going, "fuck getting a van, get a vette and stuff your family in the trunk."
Did you take it above 4 grand??
Old 07-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #67
Mike
Fat Ricer Admin

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Evos are econo-boxes with turbos, and C6's "aren't impressive".

What a wierd thread. Every dickhole with an opinion and a keyboard is piping in on this one.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #68
RTE117
RIP Hot Rod

RTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really niceRTE117 is just really nice
I also considered EVO's. Weird. lol

I like them, but I'd prefer RWD and the EVO stands out a lot; it has that boy racer stigma. The insurance is cheap; however, I think the car itself is overpriced (overall, not specifically from a performance standpoint). The lowest I've seen at a dealer was 19.5K for an VIII. I figure for that price I might as well just search for a Terminator. I never made an offer to see how low they'd go though.

You guys are scaring me away from rotaries though. lol

CSS is the best free entertainment ever.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #69
Mike
Fat Ricer Admin

Quote:
I also considered EVO's. Weird. lol

I like them, but I'd prefer RWD and the EVO stands out a lot; it has that boy racer stigma. The insurance is cheap; however, I think the car itself is overpriced (overall, not specifically from a performance standpoint). The lowest I've seen at a dealer was 19.5K for an VIII. I figure for that price I might as well just search for a Terminator. I never made an offer to see how low they'd go though.

You guys are scaring me away from rotaries though. lol

CSS is the best free entertainment ever.

Coming from someone who has owned both a C5 and a Termi, get the 'vette.

Cobras are badass to go fast, on pump gas, with no bottle. They suck at doing everything else. They aren't fun to drive, they get like 2mpg's, the interiors are cheaper in those than C5's, and they feel big driving them.

That said, I still loved mine, but looking back, I could have had all the fun that the Cobra and 350z presented, with just buying a C5Z and camming it. Wouldn't have been AS fast, but it would have done everything.

RIP - Vinny, Hotrod, Ahmed, Blacklist...
Old 07-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #70
xander
2,000 posts club

xander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to allxander is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to xander
Quote:
Jealous much? It must suck to be such a broke dick that you have to settle for a car I could buy with the money I spend on eating out in just one month alone.
what car has he settled for?
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #71
whitedime
Burnoffs

whitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to whitedime
A shitty FC
whitedime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #72
1gmx6
CSS newbie

1gmx6 is on a distinguished road1gmx6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I believe he actually wanted it. I doubt there was any "settling" involved. You'd have to be mildly fucking retarded to "settle" for a rotary. You either want one, or you don't.

It's cool man, i drive econoboxes too. There's nothing wrong with it. I just didn't let the manufacturer do any pre-ricing for me.
1gmx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #73
RTE117
RIP Hot Rod

Thanks for the input everyone. I really do appreciate it.

I'm probably going to skip the rotary. I lowballed/haggled a dealer for a nice little project S2000 and they bit, so I'm gonna check it out tomorrow and drop the coin if it's mechanically sound. Then I'll have 3 Honda's with a ball-busting 300 WTQ - combined.