97' GM car 'theft sys' light!?!?! - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Tech > Domestic Tech

Old 02-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Mannon
No car.

Mannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Mannon
97' GM car 'theft sys' light!?!?!
I'm a dum dum. I was doing some work on a 97' Grand Am and unhooked the battery while working. Now the fucker won't start. The 'theft sys' light comes on. No blinking or anything just a solid light. I've tried the koeo for 10 minutes method and a few other tricks I've found by searching, not getting anywhere and I want this damn thing out of my garage. The owner said it happened once a few days prior but eventually got it started. So I don't know if I'm dealing with an existing problem or I did a noob mistake. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tia, Mannon.
Mannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
jack
Banned

jack is on a distinguished roadjack is on a distinguished road
you can reset the theft system by placing your key in the ignition and turning it forward until the power comes on. The theft light will start blinking, do not attempt to start the car until the light has stopped blinking. this takes 10 minutes.
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
Tugboat
CSS adict

Tugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of light
That's what he describe that he tried.

koeo= Key on, engine off.

LOL I knew for some reason i would write it wrong.
my car when its done all motor will at the slowest run a mid 10 i'll put my title on that. i'm not building a stock motor or a street legal car. i'm building a real 4 cyl not like most of the kids that think when you throw a gsr or a single in a car with some headers and a chipped ecu it's fast.

Last edited by Tugboat; 02-07-2010 at 06:59 PM..
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
jack
Banned

jack is on a distinguished roadjack is on a distinguished road
ah, i just thought he misspelled something. and wouldn't it actually stand for key on engine off? seeing as how he put e not i?
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
9cobra4
Some say...

9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all
Lol egnition.
9cobra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
Mike
Fat Ricer Admin

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mike
Have you tried locking and unlocking the drivers door with the key?

Sometimes that will cycle the alarm off.

RIP - Vinny, Hotrod, Ahmed, Blacklist...
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
Mannon
No car.

Mannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Mannon
Yes koeo = key on engine off. Yes I've tried locking/unlocking the doors with the key. The theft light does not blink at anytime ever. Solid light that stays on. I tried bypassing the theft system by disconnecting the yellow wire on the ignition cyclinder.
Mannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
Fent
My ADI Sucks :(

Fent is a glorious beacon of lightFent is a glorious beacon of lightFent is a glorious beacon of lightFent is a glorious beacon of lightFent is a glorious beacon of lightFent is a glorious beacon of lightFent is a glorious beacon of lightFent is a glorious beacon of lightFent is a glorious beacon of lightFent is a glorious beacon of lightFent is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Fent
Auto Recall Date: 03/06/2002
Vehicle Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 1589948
1997 PONTIAC GRAND AM Defect Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES. IF THE ENGINE FAILS TO START AND THE DRIVER HOLDS THE KEY IN THE "START" POSITION FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD, HIGH CURRENT FLOWS THROUGH THE IGNITION SWITCH, AND SOMETIMES PRODUCES ENOUGH HEAT TO MELT INTERNAL SWITCH PARTS.
Defect Consequence:
IF THE SWITCH IS DAMAGED, A FIRE COULD OCCUR IN THE STEERING COLUMN, EVEN WITH THE ENGINE OFF AND THE KEY REMOVED.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A RELAY KIT IN THESE VEHICLES TO PREVENT HIGH CURRENT FROM FLOWING THROUGH THE IGNITION SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN MARCH 27, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020, PONTIAC AT 1-800-762-2737, BUICK AT 1-800-521-7300, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-442-6537.
Notes: GENERAL MOTORS CORP., 02008

So wikianswers says,

Answer

Turn on the key to the on possition (dont start the car just to where the car is ready to start) and leave it like that for 12 mins. then turn it off for 2 secs. then on again for 12 mins then off for 2 secs. then on again for 12 mins, off for 2 secs then start the car. it resets the alarm system.

But id be taking that bitch to GM if i was you...

One Big Ass Mistake America...
Fent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
Roca Fella Bryan
You Mad?

Roca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to all
97 Grand Am? I had one and it was a total piece of shit with the same fucking problem. Here's a common solution.

Take this:

Pour it on this:

Then drop this onto the mix:

Then run to a safe distance and watch it burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotjunk View Post
You're part of Middletown now, pal. Keep it up and your profit percentage from our newest meth lab will be revoked.
Roca Fella Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
Bunjiro
1,000 posts club

Bunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura aboutBunjiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Bunjiro
I had a similar issue at work the other day, I put the key in the truck, turned it back and forth a few times and it was good to go.
Bunjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #11
Dunc
BCICAN

Dunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of lightDunc is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Dunc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roca Fella Bryan View Post
Then run to a safe distance and watch it burn.
Note to self:never drop my car off to RFB for repairs.
Dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
apocalypse
CSS Rep King

apocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
Note to self:never drop my car off to RFB for repairs.
That should have been understood regardless of his post

Subscribe to my YouTube faggots...
http://www.youtube.com/user/apocalypse7011?feature=mhum
apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:14 AM   #13
12secgoat
CSS newbie

12secgoat is on a distinguished road
You can follow these procedures to reset your passlock,
1) Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2) Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON. (Bump the key to START but don't start the engine)
3) Observe the Security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4) Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5) Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles (30 minutes). The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to START.

IMPORTANT: Don't forget the final step 4 before you try to start the car. The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to START. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle. If that doesn't work unplug negative battery terminal (at least 20 min, to reset pcm learned data,hopeful) the security light will a lot more as well. Then check ignition relay for discoloration on the diodes, clean with steel wool, and be sure all diodes are in contact with metal receptors in relay housing. Plug battery in , and then do the procedure above. Still doesn't work, just get a new key and do reset procedure again and it should work, all solutions beyond that cost a lot more than quite a bit more than the previous mentioned.
Star free, then go from there.

Last edited by 12secgoat; 05-27-2016 at 01:31 AM..
12secgoat is offline   Reply With Quote