Any other Bimmer drivers out there - Page 2 - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > BMW

Old 01-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #21
coolnick
is a ricer

coolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
shh. i can get fired for it.
I didn't mean you, I would have said "that total fag ricer Brent" if I meant you.

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #22
BigBump
The Imperial Fist

BigBump is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BigBump
Brent,

But you can't get fired for some advice can you?, plus you could seriously clown the guys at sweeney if you could help me out...

I have a '95 E38 740i the wipers don't work, and the faults were relay 73 and 74 failing. so I know it's the relays. Apparently, sweeney doesn't know where these relays go and they have a call in to BMW to find out.

If you guys over at the store know, I would more than happily yank my ride out of there and send it over to get it done. It's been there for over a week for some relays, and they told me that I would need a whole new wiring harness installed for them. It's really getting bad.

Help a brotha out. Alcohol's in it for you if you can make it happen. Lots of it.

-Bump
BigBump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #23
Zerolift01
1,000 posts club

Zerolift01 has a spectacular aura aboutZerolift01 has a spectacular aura aboutZerolift01 has a spectacular aura aboutZerolift01 has a spectacular aura aboutZerolift01 has a spectacular aura aboutZerolift01 has a spectacular aura about
wiper relays
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBump View Post
Brent,

But you can't get fired for some advice can you?, plus you could seriously clown the guys at sweeney if you could help me out...

I have a '95 E38 740i the wipers don't work, and the faults were relay 73 and 74 failing. so I know it's the relays. Apparently, sweeney doesn't know where these relays go and they have a call in to BMW to find out.

If you guys over at the store know, I would more than happily yank my ride out of there and send it over to get it done. It's been there for over a week for some relays, and they told me that I would need a whole new wiring harness installed for them. It's really getting bad.

Help a brotha out. Alcohol's in it for you if you can make it happen. Lots of it.

-Bump
RELAYS:
They are located on the passenger side rear of the engine bay, also where the ECU is located, they are under what everyone called the E-Box (Electronics Box). I believe there are 3-4 screws that hold the box in place. Remove those and that will expose a pack of relays, the wiper relays should be the dark color relays surrounded by light color relays, either there will be 3 dark ones with 2 light ones making a triangle shape, or 2 dark ones and 2 light ones making a L shape.
Other common failures are the general control module which is located behind the glove box, and another is called the light control module (yes it has more function than just light bulbs), is located on the right side foot well.
If your car has been recently jump started i would not doubt the failure of one or more control modules. BMW's really dont like jump starts !

http://www.facebook.com/Zerolift
Zerolift01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #24
coolnick
is a ricer

coolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud of
Brent doesn't drink.

coolnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #25
JIMI B
UNNATURAL ASPIRATIONS

JIMI B has a spectacular aura aboutJIMI B has a spectacular aura aboutJIMI B has a spectacular aura aboutJIMI B has a spectacular aura aboutJIMI B has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to JIMI B Send a message via MSN to JIMI B Send a message via Yahoo to JIMI B
hahahah wrong person to offer it to. I have a funny story about that but we will leave it to brent to tell it. lol

Full Engine Machine/Assembly Shop and Speed Parts
513-544-2177

www.allinracingengines.com
www.facebook.com/ALLINRACINGENGINES
JIMI B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #26
antwon6420
Is Your Father

antwon6420 will become famous soon enoughantwon6420 will become famous soon enoughantwon6420 will become famous soon enoughantwon6420 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerolift01 View Post
I have to bring down the house on the whole CCA discount thing. BMW dealerships have standard retail for any given part.... say that part is a Clutch Kit.... Say it has a retail of $389.... Add 25% to that and roughly thats the over the counter cost to any other customer besides..... BMW CCA members.... so your 20% discount is really bringing the price back down to ACTUAL retail numbers.

Jeff...... Enthusiast Auto Group is accepting standard maintenence and upgrade service appointments..... Just BMW is pretty much going out of business.... they were given 5 months to vacate their property 2 months ago. And i am now with Zerolift Autolab.......
Thanks,
Robert --------- formerly of Just BMW and Enthusiast Auto Group.
Are you Johnnys brother in law?
antwon6420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #27
antwon6420
Is Your Father

antwon6420 will become famous soon enoughantwon6420 will become famous soon enoughantwon6420 will become famous soon enoughantwon6420 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coch240SX View Post
I have to partially disagree with those saying that BMW maintenance costs significantly more than other makes out there.
I think 8 quarts of synthetic at every oil change definately puts it up there as "significantly more than other makes out there."
Old 01-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #28
Zerolift01
1,000 posts club

Zerolift01 has a spectacular aura aboutZerolift01 has a spectacular aura aboutZerolift01 has a spectacular aura aboutZerolift01 has a spectacular aura aboutZerolift01 has a spectacular aura aboutZerolift01 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon6420 View Post
Are you Johnnys brother in law?
Same one.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #29
CASANOVA
Just the Tip...

CASANOVA is a name known to allCASANOVA is a name known to allCASANOVA is a name known to allCASANOVA is a name known to allCASANOVA is a name known to allCASANOVA is a name known to allCASANOVA is a name known to allCASANOVA is a name known to allCASANOVA is a name known to allCASANOVA is a name known to allCASANOVA is a name known to all
Quote:
I think 8 quarts of synthetic at every oil change definately puts it up there as "significantly more than other makes out there."

I deffinitely agree with you
CASANOVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #30
antwon6420
Is Your Father

Quote:
Same one.
Haha, ok. I didn't know you worked up at zerolift now. I saw the post that said you used to work at just bmw and remembered talking to you up at one of zerolifts cruise ins. I had the red m3.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:33 PM   #31
Coch240SX
CSS newbie

Coch240SX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Coch240SX Send a message via Yahoo to Coch240SX
Quote:
You have a point on that. Though there are alternatives. I run semi-synthetic in my M and change it every 3k miles and I haven't seen any adverse response in the ~70k miles that I've run, same with my other cars. Granted, that is rather anecdotal evidence, but it’s what I’ve found. At any rate, the recommendation for full-synthetic oil certainly isn't only on BMW as more and more manufacturers are going that route.

The point of my previous post wasn't that everything item or procedure is going to be within a few dollars of any other car out there; that's a complete fallacy. It is a bit more expensive to maintain a car in that market segment; as it should be. More expensive cars are usually made with higher quality, more expensive parts. Add that with more affluent buyers, whether just perceived or real, and you have forces working to dictate an increased cost of ancillary goods in that particular market.

The point was, and maybe I didn't get this out as clearly as I had intended, was that by doing the maintenance yourself and doing so intelligently the costs really aren't as exorbitant as some would have it seem.
Coch240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #32
BTM

BTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to behold
bump, as far as the wiper problem, what the faults say and whats wrong with the car can be completely different. it can be a wiring issue, control module, motor, fuse, ect. theres not much that should take a week to get diagnosed. i would say that if you bring it to the store we would be able to get it taken care of for you.

and like others said, i dont drink. thanks for the offer anyway lol.

**side story - what ol Jim is talking about is the night that i most recently blew the engine in the 240. it went at the very end of the track and i coasted past the turn around and a little bit up. i pushed the car by myself for a good distance since i wasnt there with anyone else. eventually jimmy and a couple friends show up and we get the car pushed. im fucking pooped, and his friend hands me a bottle of sobe or something like that. so i take a drink and its fucking terable, and i figured it had alcohol in it. sure enough it was some sort of vodka conglomeration. i quickly spit that shit out lol.

ever since ive been very weary about drinking anything i dont open or pour myself lol.

end story****
Old 01-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #33
notbob
CSS regular

notbob is infamous around these parts
Send a message via ICQ to notbob Send a message via AIM to notbob
I used to have:
'99 M3 w/Vader Seats etc...

Sold that ages ago, my daily driver "company car" is a 2007 BMW 335i :) 6-speed of course, from the first shipment to hit the states so I've had mine for over a year and a half already

Maintenance costs on the '99 were pretty much non-existent, I had 0 failures with the car ever, other then speeding tickets, but the car honestly wasn't super fast but a killer daily driver, I still miss that car.

Lease a new bmw and save all the hassle, full warranty and full maintenance included. Lease costs are not horrific but for me made the most sense and the easiest to write off on taxes.

Biggest problem I've had with my bmw is twice the rear bumper has gotten dented in the same spot, $1027 to fix a f'in bumper cover sucks ass. Tires are the only non-covered maintenance item that are a real shot in the nuts.

Brent you've probably seen either mine or my business partners 335 in there, mines silver with black interior with florida plates and his is a blue auto one with nav.

ps: wtf is "Representing NoLuck/Colerain Crew", I live up near that way in NCH
'91 MR2 Turbo
'95 Eagle Talon TSi (For Sale)
'97 Civic Ex (For Sale)

Pass Any Drug Test - 1-877-420-3386
http://www.detoxforless.com

Last edited by notbob; 01-25-2008 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: f'in felt like it bitches!
notbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #34
mclaren18psi
knockin the bottom out

mclaren18psi can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to mclaren18psi
i have a mildly built e30
Old 02-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #35
BTM

BTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to behold
notbob - i see so many cars daily its hard for me to notice one from the other.

the NL CC thing is just a little thing i made up for me and my friends. its no big deal really.
BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #36
BigBump
The Imperial Fist

BigBump is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BigBump
Quote:
RELAYS:
They are located on the passenger side rear of the engine bay, also where the ECU is located, they are under what everyone called the E-Box (Electronics Box). I believe there are 3-4 screws that hold the box in place. Remove those and that will expose a pack of relays, the wiper relays should be the dark color relays surrounded by light color relays, either there will be 3 dark ones with 2 light ones making a triangle shape, or 2 dark ones and 2 light ones making a L shape.
Other common failures are the general control module which is located behind the glove box, and another is called the light control module (yes it has more function than just light bulbs), is located on the right side foot well.
If your car has been recently jump started i would not doubt the failure of one or more control modules. BMW's really dont like jump starts !
Ya, funny thing is, it took Sweeney 3 weeks to tell me an answer I already knew, but the issue is the harness all those relays plug into, is completely corroded, which apparently is a problem with those cars, which shorted out all the relays. They did check every other system related to those relays (ABS, wipers, DSC) and the modules, and DMEs are all fine. Now I need to find someone who REALLY likes wiring, because that top portion of the harness needs cleaned and resoldered so the relays will actually work.

Anyone know a guy?
BigBump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #37
E92MU

E92MU is on a distinguished road
Hello everyone,

A new member here, just saying hi to everyone. I'm usually on e90 forum but found out there is a local forum so just wanted to take the time and say hi. My username e90 is johnnymu.
E92MU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #38
95BadNaTa
1.4L's of Fury

95BadNaTa is on a distinguished road95BadNaTa is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 95BadNaTa
I had a 95 M3

Last edited by 95BadNaTa; 03-07-2008 at 04:05 PM..
95BadNaTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #39
Zerolift01
1,000 posts club

Does that happen to be at Enthusiast Auto ?
Old 03-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #40
Honda Hunter
I kill all honduhs!!

Honda Hunter is infamous around these partsHonda Hunter is infamous around these partsHonda Hunter is infamous around these parts
I have a 99 M Coupe.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg 056.JPG (41.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 146.JPG (51.7 KB, 42 views)

My Srt-4, is no longer faster than dunny's pos neon:)

98 BMW M Roadster, twin screw superchager, no traction control.....FUN
99 BMW M Coupe E36/8...sold
92 BMW 325i E36............sold
87 Bmw 325e E30
90 BMW 325i E30

Last edited by Honda Hunter; 03-08-2008 at 04:22 PM..
Honda Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote