car wont start - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > General Car Chat

Old 08-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
grandmaGTP
shit dang

grandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of light
car wont start
Well after going to the track the other week, car died on the way home, thinking i was out of gas, (guage doesnt work) added gas to it and tried to start it, just sat there and cranked, check the fuel pressure gauge inside the engine bay and its not reading anything. Tank is atleast half full, I don't hear the pump at all when priming the car up. Don't think its just a clogged filter, leaning towards a bad pump but not sure how to check that.

Any ideas on what it could be or how to test the pump??

Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
sbcxtreme
1,000 posts club

sbcxtreme will become famous soon enoughsbcxtreme will become famous soon enoughsbcxtreme will become famous soon enoughsbcxtreme will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to sbcxtreme
Did you try hooking a hot and a ground from the battery to the pump?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
grandmaGTP
shit dang

grandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of light
i have not yet
grandmaGTP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
sbcxtreme
1,000 posts club

sbcxtreme will become famous soon enoughsbcxtreme will become famous soon enoughsbcxtreme will become famous soon enoughsbcxtreme will become famous soon enough
Don't you think that would be a good way to test the pump?
sbcxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
JuicedH22
Best I know of

JuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant futureJuicedH22 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JuicedH22
lol, smartass
JuicedH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
ej1bmx
Haz 0 El Es Ex

ej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to behold
Loose ground somewhere?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
grandmaGTP
shit dang

well the codes im getting right now are,

Fuel Pump Primary Circuit Malfunction
Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Malfunction
Fuel level Sensor Circuit High Input

and if i would have thought about doing that, I dont think i would have asked for suggestions on here...
Old 08-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
Umm, check for fuel pressure. Vatozone I think you can rent a gauge from. Screw it in the schrader on the fuel rail.

Damn checkbook racers....
Kisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
grandmaGTP
shit dang

have a gauge hooked up in the engine bay, its not reading any pressure
Old 08-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
quadturbopower

quadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nicequadturbopower is just really nice
Is the flux capacitor completely charged?

On a serious note, try hot wiring the pump before checking everything else. It is usually the most expensive thing that can go wrong so you might as well start there.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
Jesse
Slow race car

Jesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to beholdJesse is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Jesse
Checked the fuel pump fuse?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
Crank it and have a buddy beat on the tank.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
Nati
Baller

Nati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to all
which side is the fuel door on? could be the issue
Old 08-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Its ok, its not red.
Kisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
sbcxtreme
1,000 posts club

Hotwire the pump, if it comes on and the gauge shows pressure, then check wiring/fuses/relays. If it comes on and doesnt build pressure, I would disconnect the closest hose to the pump and try it again to see if its actually pumping.

Do you know anybody that has a scanner with the ability to turn on the fuel pump through the ecu?
sbcxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
dsmawd350
6.x liter

dsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to beholddsmawd350 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to dsmawd350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcxtreme View Post

Do you know anybody that you can drop the car off too walk away and comeback when its fixed
dsmawd350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #17
jdredd
1,000 posts club

jdredd is on a distinguished road
just pull the thing out through the access door in the trunk.

Then just hook a 12v connect to it to test it.

Either relays up front bad (rare) or the pins to the relays fudged (happened to me)
or just dead pump (happens)

If you have any of the rewire crap check connections. If its the CHEAP rewires, check the ground wire. I had one years ago, and screw that came with it rusted.

Jumping pins 20 and 87 for the relay will run the pump. I think this is the right pic..

Sent you a PM ...

Last edited by jdredd; 08-20-2012 at 10:07 PM..
jdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #18
snapsmagee
LSX

snapsmagee is on a distinguished road
99.9999% of the time on one of the generals great automobiles its the fuel pump the vanes inside the pump come apart just change the fuel filter when u put the new pump in o and get an airtex or delco they seem to hold up the best and ur gauge doesnt work because the fuel card on the pump is bad gm has had this problem for quite some time now the contacts burn thru when it sweeps
snapsmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #19
bestracing
Someone took my Swingline

bestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapsmagee View Post
Your gauge doesnt work because the fuel card on the pump is bad gm has had this problem for quite some time now the contacts burn thru when it sweeps
This has been a big problem with vehicles that have had the reformulated fuels that Ky had implemented years ago ran through their systems. When Ky was forced into emission testing they changed the type of reformulated gas they have for the summer months.

1986 Trans Am - just for cruising and having fun
bestracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #20
v6motorheadftop
All slow no go

v6motorheadftop will become famous soon enoughv6motorheadftop will become famous soon enoughv6motorheadftop will become famous soon enough
snapsmagee is most likely right. The pumps on most GM cars pre 2005 would not last longer than 75k miles. I would guess it would be the pump, which in your case isn't a bad thing since you have the trap door. I would throw a walbro in their and modify the bucket. If you need help, lmk
v6motorheadftop is offline   Reply With Quote