My Turdbo build progress a go...? - Page 2 - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Media Center

Old 10-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #21
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

WhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to behold
That's pretty cool. We used to o ring our stuff but cometic and sce copper titans (what I use) work pretty good.
The stage 2 stuff (buick v6 stuff from Indy cars and NASCAR Busch series) has 14 head bolts, which really helps but is expensive. Those blocks can handle 1500+ hp. They have aftermarket aluminum blocks, but those are $3k for an unmachined block.
WhiteT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #22
grandmaGTP
shit dang

grandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of light
Two threads on this site not about lsx's or 4x4 status this is amazing haha are you planning on doing a passenger side intake? Sorry if its on the op
grandmaGTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #23
jdredd
1,000 posts club

jdredd is on a distinguished road
i am to lazy too look a page back or try and remember...

at first I was kinda against it.... but the more I think about it and seen some setups in past two days the more I am leaning towards it.. Gotta relocate battery (ugh) or run a tiny ass motorcycle battery like some have.
jdredd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #24
grandmaGTP
shit dang

grandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of light
Well from my 24 hours of owning a Turbo gp I'd switch lol rubbing issues fo sho
Old 10-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #25
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaGTP View Post
Well from my 24 hours of owning a Turbo gp I'd switch lol rubbing issues fo sho
Rubbing issues huh? Sounds like a personal problem...

Ya, it does get quite cramped over there. Maybe just that fact is enough to make me do the fbody intake..
Old 10-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #26
240Jeff
Riff raff

240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to 240Jeff
Shoulda bought a Corvette. Or something to that effect.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #27
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Jeff View Post
Shoulda bought a Corvette. Or something to that effect.
Can't fit as many dead hookers in a Vette as you can in a wbody... just common knowledge there...
Old 10-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #28
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Crossover, dumpipe, downpipe ...

Swear I was getting power log manifolds, but end up not being so.. wouldn't have bothered buying these... didnt save all that much really...

Pick up heads saturday as they are done...

Trying to score fbody intake manifold setup now for the cheap...
Old 10-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #29
v6motorheadftop
All slow no go

v6motorheadftop will become famous soon enoughv6motorheadftop will become famous soon enoughv6motorheadftop will become famous soon enough
whiteT, I hit almost 500hp on a stock motor (in an fbody). Tim's was hitting 800+rwhp and there's at least 2 other people I know running 750rwhp with no motor problems.

The block doesn't seem to be the weak part on these motors, it's the heads. They were not machined well from the factory and even with better heads, still have flow problems.
v6motorheadftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #30
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

WhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6motorheadftop View Post
whiteT, I hit almost 500hp on a stock motor (in an fbody). Tim's was hitting 800+rwhp and there's at least 2 other people I know running 750rwhp with no motor problems.

The block doesn't seem to be the weak part on these motors, it's the heads. They were not machined well from the factory and even with better heads, still have flow problems.
I would imagine a good head porter could fix you all up.
My friend that is putting the 3800 together got a set ported by an excellent lc2 (that's the 86-87 turbo engine) builder/porter. He got those heads to flow way better than th lc2 heads which have been on some fast cars. Last weekend was the buick nationals in bowling green ky. Three cars were running in the 9.3's in a class that required cars to weigh 3500 lbs, stock block, and have no larger than a 70mm turbo. I would imagine the series 2 stuff could go faster in the same chassis.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #31
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Stock pistons are pretty easy to chip... easily chunking a nice peice off with to much heat and timing ...

If I remember right, a ring gets to hot and the ends touch enough to kinda bind up and pop off the piston area right above it or something of the sorts. So on rebuilds you have the gap opened up a bit more then stock.

Gonna have to probably get my pistons in new motor removed and regapped/checked as I dont remember if that was done or not anymore :(
Old 10-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #32
v6motorheadftop
All slow no go

v6motorheadftop will become famous soon enoughv6motorheadftop will become famous soon enoughv6motorheadftop will become famous soon enough
stock pistons are crap on series 2 and 3. I have yet to see a setup above 450 to not have the bottom end grenade. You are right though, the clearance is not there. I had spun a rod bearing in my first motor, and was barely into boost lol.

WhiteT, eventually I will buy another fbody and do another turbo build. Pretty much my goal is to one day hit 1000rwhp with the 3800. I'm thinking possibly meth and a larger turbo (I was running a 35r)
Old 10-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #33
grandmaGTP
shit dang

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6motorheadftop View Post
stock pistons are crap on series 2 and 3. I have yet to see a setup above 450 to not have the bottom end grenade. You are right though, the clearance is not there. I had spun a rod bearing in my first motor, and was barely into boost lol.

WhiteT, eventually I will buy another fbody and do another turbo build. Pretty much my goal is to one day hit 1000rwhp with the 3800. I'm thinking possibly meth and a larger turbo (I was running a 35r)
Well that makes me nervous lol
Old 10-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #34
v6motorheadftop
All slow no go

I wouldn't be too nervous. A good tune can make all the difference
Old 10-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #35
grandmaGTP
shit dang

Ya I feel pretty safe with this setup unlike my original gtp lol
Old 10-26-2011, 12:33 AM   #36
jdredd
1,000 posts club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlGVs...eature=related

Current known fastest series II/III rwd setup.. Twin turbo , 2300lbs, 1.2x 60 foots.. noice..
Old 10-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #37
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

I would stay far away from Meth injection. Very far. Its craze in the turbo buick world is slowing down. On a 11 sec car its fine but not on a faster car. People start using it as 30%+ of their fueling. Well a single or double nozzle in front if the TB is showing very poor fuel distribution. The cylinders that don't get enough fuel melt. I would use a fuel like c16 or better or look into e85.
I have fixed too many Meth injection oopsies to know not to touch that.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #38
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteT View Post
I would stay far away from Meth injection. Very far. Its craze in the turbo buick world is slowing down. On a 11 sec car its fine but not on a faster car. People start using it as 30%+ of their fueling. Well a single or double nozzle in front if the TB is showing very poor fuel distribution. The cylinders that don't get enough fuel melt. I would use a fuel like c16 or better or look into e85.
I have fixed too many Meth injection oopsies to know not to touch that.
It was a craze many years ago on clubgp ... now some of the turbo guys are praising it cause the buick guys run it.

I am doing the e85 deal as there is a station by my work and by home to fill it up at. Quite a few turbocharged/supercharged have now switched to this with great results.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #39
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

I have been running e85 all year and love it.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #40
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Next on my purchase list for the next 2-3 months to finish motor setup...

Heads - (work done, just gotta pick up and pay for em)
Racetronix Fuel Pump setup
FBody Intake Manifolds
Front/Rear Power logs
80# Injectors
Turbo Cam
Roll Master Double timing chain
WasteGate
BOV
Turdbo itself
Bolts/Gaskets/Blah...

Not gonna worry about intercooler setup until engine is actually in the car.. then will decide on the setup.

I've never had a chance to tune for e85 before, so that should be interesting to throw into this whole mix when it comes time for me to start on that.