Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Media Center

Old 10-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
jdredd
1,000 posts club

jdredd is on a distinguished road
Turdbo Grand Prix Build
Guess I will start my build progress... Turdbo Bucket Grocery Getter..

Finally getting my butt in some kind of gear to move on this..

Getting my old ass rusting 98 GTP running again after sitting for nearly 3 years with the occasional moving it in/out of driveway two/three times a year.

I had a shortblock L67 out of what I think is a 96 Buick Riveara, over 200k miles on it, that I got for free as a complete motor when I bought a parts car 2yrs ago..

Had it sent up to Mark Tischler in New Jersey to get all new bolts/bearings/rings/blah done. Pistons were inspected and after cleaning, came out looking in great shape.. I didn't go crazy on motor as if it blows, I will just grab an L23/L36 out of a junk yard for cheap next time...

Can tell its a pre 97 block by the lack of 2 guide holes on the top of the block where these two crappy gaskets go on each end for the intake manifold.

I have heads getting done currently at Smyths that I will be using. People have ran down in the 11's easily with stock heads, but since I had to get valve guides machined down for higher lift cam, might as well get them all nice pretty.

Transmission will have to be stupid stout being a fail wheel drive, but not worrying until spring time.. the trans will cost probably 2x as much as the engine/turdbo build...

Anyways, picked up all the exhaust parts used from a ZZP/Stattama kit for $925 shipped. New is ~$1700+shipping, so came out good on that deal I like to think. Should have them hopefully wednesday or thursday to inspect,clean,and pics...
Includes front and rear "power log" manifolds, crossover, downpipe w/ wastegate perch... Think guy is tossing in gaskets, oil lines, tial wg ...

Hopefully have pictures at end of week of parts and heads, ect ... HOPING to have motor at least complete by end of next month or so.. just need st4 or st5 cam, and upper intake manifold setup once i decide... looking at getting used Precision T67 turbo.. will provide plenty of oompf..

/end short story.

Last edited by jdredd; 03-06-2013 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: alive!
jdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
BTM

BTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to behold
subscribed.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
Grand National Propain
Plays With Fire

Grand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really niceGrand National Propain is just really nice
Are you going to use a 3 or 4 bolt turbo?

Old 10-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand National Propain View Post
Are you going to use a 3 or 4 bolt turbo?
For the exhaust parts I bought, it uses a T4 exhuast inlet flange on the crossover and the 5 bolt outlet flange on the downpipe.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
grandmaGTP
shit dang

grandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of lightgrandmaGTP is a glorious beacon of light
excited to see where this goes
Old 10-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Was out in the shed to drop off a blower case I cleaned out... and stumbled on these that I totally forgot I even had...

Where pretty dirty.. pic of one dirty and one cleaned up rail..

All the parts..

Got these off the parts car... could not get the FPR out, one of the four bolts stripped, will
take care of that later..
Old 10-17-2011, 12:37 AM   #7
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmagtp View Post
excited to see where this goes
boom?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

WhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to behold
Cool!
WhiteT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

WhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to beholdWhiteT is a splendid one to behold
Make sure your head guy doesn't use a bronze guide in the exhaust side. Ask me how I know;(
Old 10-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteT View Post
Make sure your head guy doesn't use a bronze guide in the exhaust side. Ask me how I know;(
Why is that? The Series II heads, people have been using the bronze guides forever now and no issues. ZZP uses them on exhaust side also in all their heads and even in their aluminum heads they make.

Plus they are already in the works with em...

I guess I need to ask you how you know and what happened :) But as far as I know, bronze has been the material of choice on these heads, even the "big dogs" ... but I am not an head expert so willing to learn whatever I can :)
Old 10-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

Bronze in the Turbo buicks do not work. Under extreme heat they break and go through the Turbo. I mistakenly found this out this summer. Cost $600 to fix the Turbo plus head repairs
Old 10-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

Maybe its just the old stuff. Its a common problem over on this side.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #13
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

Was just thinking, Maybe they cut them down further in the port so less is exposed
Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
v6motorheadftop
All slow no go

v6motorheadftop will become famous soon enoughv6motorheadftop will become famous soon enoughv6motorheadftop will become famous soon enough
bronze guides are fine on the series II and III motors. I ran them on mine and was running 13 lbs. of boost, never had problems with them (on my fbody). How much boost are you running?
v6motorheadftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

A lot
Old 10-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #16
v6motorheadftop
All slow no go

v6motorheadftop will become famous soon enoughv6motorheadftop will become famous soon enoughv6motorheadftop will become famous soon enough
lol I know you are whiteT, which is probably why you had problems. I really don't see him running much farther north than 15-20 psi, which he should be fine. If I remember correctly, zzp had problems keeping the heads from separating above those boost levels anyway. I think they had to weld the heads to the block. Did they ever find a solution to this?
v6motorheadftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #17
silvergtp

silvergtp has a spectacular aura aboutsilvergtp has a spectacular aura aboutsilvergtp has a spectacular aura aboutsilvergtp has a spectacular aura aboutsilvergtp has a spectacular aura about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL8aX...e_gdata_player they have taken this on a few cruises so i think any problems they had are fixed(new big single turbo set up)
silvergtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #18
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6motorheadftop View Post
lol I know you are whiteT, which is probably why you had problems. I really don't see him running much farther north than 15-20 psi, which he should be fine. If I remember correctly, zzp had problems keeping the heads from separating above those boost levels anyway. I think they had to weld the heads to the block. Did they ever find a solution to this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergtp View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL8aX...e_gdata_player they have taken this on a few cruises so i think any problems they had are fixed(new big single turbo set up)
No real solution yet...

Problems mostly being just detonation blowing out the thin parts of the head gasket and melting part of block/head in alot of cases. Even with blower setups.

Some have o-ring'd I know of... JonBob's whipple setup has an oring setup from prj..

Drop timing some if you have it shit ton added... cool the air down as much as possible... and pray...

ZZP doesn't daily the car... ~1000lbs less weight.. run HUGE A/W intercooler setup and were only getting like 30-40 runs on motor before boom.. they went with a "zzp" race block whatever that really is, as i doubt they used exactly what they sell.

Some of the good T67 setups have peaked at around 20-21psi and put down over 500whp... so will see what blows up I guess when the time comes...

I plan on having a spare motor sitting...
Old 10-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #19
WhiteT
White Trash Mod

What are these blocks living too HP wise? They look more stout than the old school block I use. But there are a ton of the old school blocks running 9s and 10s 100's of times, like mine.
We plan on testing one in a regal, but that got side lined for a bit because my friend got a complete built 80's engine to test.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #20
jdredd
1,000 posts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteT View Post
What are these blocks living too HP wise? They look more stout than the old school block I use. But there are a ton of the old school blocks running 9s and 10s 100's of times, like mine.
We plan on testing one in a regal, but that got side lined for a bit because my friend got a complete built 80's engine to test.
Its hard to tell... the vendors aren't to talkative about what is all really going on.. ZZP said they used a junk yard block basically and ran 8's, putting down over 800whp... but have to take their word i guess on that..

There have been quite a few in the 500-550hp range.. but never really hear about them.. either disappear.. or demod right after (like the turbo impala on youtube) ...

JonBob's whipple setup is in the 650 range or something like that, but o-ring'd and gone through.. doubt much in the block is original.. i think even crank is custom made...

Tim Kings twin turbo 3800 firebird made 810hp according to this video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Wp1MbNp-8

He brought it to Edgewater a few times... Was a fun car to watch... had a garbage can sized A/W IC sitting where passenger would usually sit...