2014 Chevrolet SS - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > General Car Chat

Old 05-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Nati
Baller

Nati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to all
2014 Chevrolet SS
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...odore-official

Quote:
Chevrolet, together with officials from fellow GM subsidiary Holden, has confirmed today that the Australian designed and built Holden Commodore sedan will return to U.S. shores as the 2014 Chevrolet SS.

A racing version will compete in next year’s NASCAR Sprint Cup season as the replacement for the Impala.

It will make its official debut at the 2013 Daytona 500 next February.

The production Chevy SS will also make its debut in 2013 before going on sale by the end of that same year.

The car will be based on the facelifted VF Holden Commodore due out in the Australian market towards the end of this year. Some subtle changes are expected for the U.S. version in the same way that the current VE Commodore was tweaked for its role as the Pontiac G8. Importantly, the new SS will be rear-wheel drive, finally ending Chevrolet’s 17-year drought for rear-wheel drive sedans in the U.S.

Speaking at today’s announcement, GM’s North American chief and former Holden boss Mark Reuss said, “I am delighted to say that Chevrolet will deliver a true rear-wheel drive NASCAR race car in the SS that very closely links the performance sedan that will be available for sale.” He went on to add, “The Chevrolet SS is a great example of how GM is able to leverage its global product portfolio to deliver a unique performance experience that extends well beyond the track and I am personally looking forward to driving it.”

Few details are known about the new VF Holden Commodore, though it and the Chevy SS it will spawn will both benefit from significant technology advances including innovations in lightweight construction and fuel efficiency. This is expected to include increased use of aluminum in its construction as well as more aerodynamic styling than the current VE model. Underpinning the cars is GM’s rear-wheel drive Zeta platform, the same platform found in the Chevrolet Camaro muscle car and the Commodore’s long-wheelbase cousin, the Caprice, which is already on sale in the U.S. as the Chevrolet Caprice PPV police cruiser.

Serving as Chevrolet’s flagship, the SS will likely be available exclusively with one of GM’s LS V-8 engines, with output coming in at more than 400 horsepower. Both six-speed manual and automatic transmissions are expected and further down the line we could see smaller V-6 engines offered. There have been reports that production of the SS may eventually move to the U.S. if the car proves popular, paving the way for some of the Commodore’s other variants, such as the wagon and El Camino-esque ute, to also be offered. Currently, the high Australian dollar rules out importing these models.

As for the SS name, which is short for Super Sport, Chevrolet has a long history of using the particular designation on high-performance models of some of its most enduring nameplates. The SS designation first appeared in 1957 on a Corvette prototype race car built under the guidance of Zora Arkus-Duntov with the plan to enter it in the Le Mans 24-hour race.

So the G8 is back but under the chevy badge now

Old 05-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
What is with gym's styling dept.

Looks like shit.

Actually, looks like a Mazda 6.
Kisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
sxShep
Hamster Assassin

sxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to sxShep
I like them... if they had offered the G8's in 6-speeds (aside from the GXP), I would have looked more seriously before I bought my car

Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
bestracing
Someone took my Swingline

bestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisor View Post
What is with gym's styling dept.

Looks like shit.

Actually, looks like a Mazda 6.
That is the Holden, just imagine the Malibu/Volt/Cruize style front on that car. I'm will to bet that this is what was going to be the Caprice but didn't want to like this car with the old big body, not so sporty, cars.

1986 Trans Am - just for cruising and having fun
bestracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Roca Fella Bryan
You Mad?

Roca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to all
It looks clean and tasteful. Just like the GTO and G8 did. Whenever GM tries to bring a good car over here, everyone whines about it. I guess maybe they should glue on twelve hood scoops, some over fenders and make it look like a chiseled Tonka Toy like the newest Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotjunk View Post
You're part of Middletown now, pal. Keep it up and your profit percentage from our newest meth lab will be revoked.
Roca Fella Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
I'm not saying that, I liked the G8 styling a lot. And I know they can't make it look like that But that looks like pretty much every other car on the road
Old 05-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
jdubya
MPG What?

jdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to beholdjdubya is a splendid one to behold
Do like.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Roca Fella Bryan
You Mad?

Roca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisor View Post
I'm not saying that, I liked the G8 styling a lot. And I know they can't make it look like that But that looks like pretty much every other car on the road
It'll probably end up looking similar to the Caprice PPV that we have as police-only in America.

This Holden Commodore pictured it a clean and striking design that would stand out at and Chevy dealership considering their current barrage of what are, in my opinion, poor offerings.

Remember that even stylistically, our G8 was just a VE Commodore SSV with a Pontiac grille and slightly different front bumper. That was the only thing they changed. In all, both Ford and GM's Australian subsidiaries produce a slew of awesome mainstream vehicles that I just wish we could produce and sell over here.

I have a "thing" for bigger cars, so I'd love to have one these:

It's essentially the same thing.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
SpdFrk1990
01 Camaro SS M6

SpdFrk1990 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SpdFrk1990
Oh hell yeah cant wait for this! Scratch wanting a BRZ if they come back with this platform im in. I wanted a G8 GXP when they came out but of course that didnt happen. Now they just need to have V8supercar races in the states also I could care less about nascar.

Last edited by SpdFrk1990; 06-04-2012 at 11:12 AM..
SpdFrk1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Brrcats
Powerhouse of Deliverance

Brrcats is a name known to allBrrcats is a name known to allBrrcats is a name known to allBrrcats is a name known to allBrrcats is a name known to allBrrcats is a name known to allBrrcats is a name known to allBrrcats is a name known to allBrrcats is a name known to allBrrcats is a name known to allBrrcats is a name known to all
I'm a fan, I just dont get the naming convention.
Brrcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
EPR73

EPR73 is on a distinguished roadEPR73 is on a distinguished road
meh, id rather get a dart srt. Saw a couple of them driving around about a month ago, theyre sexy little cars.
EPR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
SpdFrk1990
01 Camaro SS M6

SpdFrk1990 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SpdFrk1990
I like the lsx engines they are fun to tune and the 4 door mid size car is good when you have a family.
SpdFrk1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Roca Fella Bryan
You Mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPR73 View Post
meh, id rather get a dart srt. Saw a couple of them driving around about a month ago, theyre sexy little cars.
Not sure if serious.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
EPR73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roca Fella Bryan View Post
Not sure if serious.
I didn't see the srt versions, just the base

But the srt versions look sweet from the pictures

I'd rock that over a cobalt ss
Edit: and I do realize my point is moot since this thread isn't about a cobalt.

Sent from my Struggleberry using patience

Last edited by EPR73; 06-05-2012 at 06:13 PM..
Old 06-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
Roca Fella Bryan
You Mad?

Are you comparing a RWD V8 full size sedan to a FWD compact sedan with half of the power?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

That's a fugly Neon..
Old 06-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
EPR73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roca Fella Bryan View Post
Are you comparing a RWD V8 full size sedan to a FWD compact sedan with half of the power?
yes...I may have misread the title on my cellphone... it wins in a cuteness competition hands down, isnt that what were playing for here?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #18
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

That's a fugly looking Neon.......
Old 06-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #19
bestracing
Someone took my Swingline

bestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura about
No matter how you dress it up, It's still a Neon......

bestracing is offline   Reply With Quote