Owners/ Past Owners - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Subaru Discussions

Old 12-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
toyocam9805
Futbol Ricer

toyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to toyocam9805
Owners/ Past Owners
Ok so I have been doing some research on the WRX and was hoping to get some info from the people who have had experiences with this car. i.e. Known issues with them, likes/dislikes. Discuss.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

SloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to behold
What year WRX are you looking at? 2002-2005 are 2.0L and 2006+ are the same 2.5L as the STI with a smaller turbo. 2006+ WRX's can quickly make STI power for not a lot of money.

But....

- WRX 5 speed transmission = BOOM if you drive like a retard or try to put a lot of power to it.
- 2.0L and 2.5L will not make a shit ton of power reliably. Anyone on nasioc including myself can't/couldn't make 500whp+ for sustained periods of time without shitting a bearing.

Older WRX seats are comfortable. STI and newer WRX seats suck ass...no lumbar support.

I don't know what else you want to know, but I had a 03 WRX for a year and a 04 STI for four years.....so I know entirely to much about these stupid cars.
SloRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
toyocam9805
Futbol Ricer

toyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to alltoyocam9805 is a name known to all
Ha yea I don't think I would be going up anywhere near 500 for awhile... Probably would just do the basics. But I am looking at an 02 and an 03 non STI though.... I heard something about the tranny's somewhere just wanted to make sure.... Ok, here is another question would you consider having a basically stock one as a DD?
toyocam9805 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Mike
Fat Ricer Admin

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mike
Or you could just buy an Evo.

RIP - Vinny, Hotrod, Ahmed, Blacklist...
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
1sicws6
JDM bum

1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to 1sicws6
It won't be slower than my daily :x
1sicws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
toyocam9805
Futbol Ricer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Or you could just buy an Evo.
Thought about it for a couple weeks but not really happy with Mitsubishi at the moment. Yes, I know it's two different types of cars and besides I have always liked the WRX so figure what the hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sicws6 View Post
It won't be slower than my daily :x
Definitely one of the things I'm going to miss lol.
toyocam9805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

SloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyocam9805 View Post
Ha yea I don't think I would be going up anywhere near 500 for awhile... Probably would just do the basics. But I am looking at an 02 and an 03 non STI though.... I heard something about the tranny's somewhere just wanted to make sure.... Ok, here is another question would you consider having a basically stock one as a DD?
Yea, they will be fine if you do simple upgrades....uppipe, downpipe, catback, reflash...it will make 225whp/225wtq with those mods. I actually wouldn't mind getting a bugeye as a daily driver. I do those mods plus a STI turbo and TMIC....260whp all day long. But the Camry is serving its purpose well and takes 87 octane.

A lot of the Subaru guys mod their cars poorly and then put them back to stock and sell them, so just pay careful attention to "details" when looking at them.....wiring harness, exhaust bolts, turbo heat shields, etc.

Also pay attention to the mileage. 02/03 WRX's are getting up there in miles, so a lot of them will need a new timing belt in the near future. Good condition ones are going for 10-12k right now.

I think a WRX would be better than an Evo as a DD. The Evo's steering is just to "touchy" to be a daily in my opinion.
SloRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
1sicws6
JDM bum

1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to 1sicws6
Just make sure it isn't silver and it doesn't have famous stickers everywhere.

Then you'll be ok.
1sicws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
TjCase85
The big guy

TjCase85 is just really niceTjCase85 is just really niceTjCase85 is just really niceTjCase85 is just really niceTjCase85 is just really niceTjCase85 is just really niceTjCase85 is just really niceTjCase85 is just really niceTjCase85 is just really niceTjCase85 is just really niceTjCase85 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to TjCase85
Brian, I say EVO > WRX.. just my .02

2004 GSXR 600
TjCase85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
S14Daver
CSS adict

S14Daver is a glorious beacon of lightS14Daver is a glorious beacon of lightS14Daver is a glorious beacon of lightS14Daver is a glorious beacon of lightS14Daver is a glorious beacon of lightS14Daver is a glorious beacon of lightS14Daver is a glorious beacon of lightS14Daver is a glorious beacon of lightS14Daver is a glorious beacon of lightS14Daver is a glorious beacon of lightS14Daver is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to S14Daver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRice View Post
Yea, they will be fine if you do simple upgrades....uppipe, downpipe, catback, reflash...it will make 225whp/225wtq with those mods. I actually wouldn't mind getting a bugeye as a daily driver.
Im with this guy

I picked up a rearended 02 WRX a few months ago and had it fixed, been driving it for over a month now and im loving it. Its a fun daily, great in the snow(waiting for some serious snow fall lol). Right now i have a stage 1 flash that gives it a lil more pep and its fun. I have an UP and DP for it and ill most likely go stage 2, but stop there since its my DD.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
asianbob

asianbob is on a distinguished road
i had an sti swapped gc8. now that's the way to go!
asianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
Tugboat
CSS adict

Tugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of light
Make sure you get the STI tranny mount, and that's about all I know, but honestly, look at what Slorice did, he finally did the BEST mod, to his Sti, and traded it in on an evo. lol
my car when its done all motor will at the slowest run a mid 10 i'll put my title on that. i'm not building a stock motor or a street legal car. i'm building a real 4 cyl not like most of the kids that think when you throw a gsr or a single in a car with some headers and a chipped ecu it's fast.

Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #13
coolnick
is a ricer

coolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud of
Consider the cost of your WRX, then consider the cost of the "normal" mods that you are considering. That will get you to the price of a 03 Evo. Evos are great dailies and are awesome cars even when left alone. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say the Evo steering it too touchy to be a daily, but the fag that said it wears a skirt and drives a Camry. He probably pees sitting down too.