Connections? - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > General Car Chat

Old 07-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
NKYspdemon
Hy-Brid

NKYspdemon has a spectacular aura aboutNKYspdemon has a spectacular aura aboutNKYspdemon has a spectacular aura aboutNKYspdemon has a spectacular aura aboutNKYspdemon has a spectacular aura about
Connections?
Anybody know someone who does transmission work or a good cheap place to go? Found a WRX I like, could get it really cheap because the synchro and fork need replaced for second gear and the wires from the gauges in the pod are wired weird and are grounding out the speedo (that I can fix). Sooo, can anybody help me out?
2002 Audi S4...SOLD...
2002 WRX...SOLD...
2004 Mazda Rx-8...SOLD...
NKYspdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2009, 12:10 AM   #2
sean22306
CSS newbie

sean22306 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sean22306
Check up at Rath's Garage (old Lawson's garage or Comet, by the Alexandria fair grounds)

Call Doug, he's the owner and my uncle. Just tell him Sean recommended you maybe he'll cut ya a deal.
sean22306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
NKYspdemon
Hy-Brid

NKYspdemon has a spectacular aura aboutNKYspdemon has a spectacular aura aboutNKYspdemon has a spectacular aura aboutNKYspdemon has a spectacular aura aboutNKYspdemon has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean22306 View Post
Check up at Rath's Garage (old Lawson's garage or Comet, by the Alexandria fair grounds)

Call Doug, he's the owner and my uncle. Just tell him Sean recommended you maybe he'll cut ya a deal.
Do you have the phone number to that place? And thanks a lot btw!

Old 07-03-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
sean22306
CSS newbie

sean22306 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sean22306
Don't know it off the top of my head. I know its on the sign out front lol.

Brother didn't answer his cell so I'll get the number in the morning for ya.

Last edited by sean22306; 07-03-2009 at 12:51 AM..
sean22306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
NKYspdemon
Hy-Brid

Thanks
Old 07-03-2009, 02:44 AM   #6
240Jeff
Riff raff

240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to 240Jeff
Just find an STi transmission to put in it and take care of the transmission problem altogether.
240Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:29 AM   #7
noTe
1,000 posts club

noTe will become famous soon enoughnoTe will become famous soon enoughnoTe will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Jeff View Post
Just find an STi transmission to put in it and take care of the transmission problem altogether.
It would be way cheaper to repair a WRX transmission since STi transmissions go for around $6,000.
noTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:38 AM   #8
240Jeff
Riff raff

240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by noTe View Post
It would be way cheaper to repair a WRX transmission since STi transmissions go for around $6,000.
Holy shit. Lol.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:29 AM   #9
Boosted Dan
Turbo + AWD = the best

Boosted Dan is a jewel in the roughBoosted Dan is a jewel in the roughBoosted Dan is a jewel in the roughBoosted Dan is a jewel in the roughBoosted Dan is a jewel in the roughBoosted Dan is a jewel in the roughBoosted Dan is a jewel in the roughBoosted Dan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Boosted Dan
Quote:
You can find used ones a lot cheaper than that, but they still cost more than most peoples complete drop out of there car.
Boosted Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
NKYspdemon
Hy-Brid

Yeah the repair as is would be <$1k. It'd be worth it, with how cheap he's selling the car. And what can I expect from a swap to the Japanese WRX motor? Cause that's the one in the car..I know it carries more standard HP, but does it take mods better or anything or would that all be similar?
Old 07-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
Boosted Dan
Turbo + AWD = the best

Boosted Dan is a jewel in the roughBoosted Dan is a jewel in the roughBoosted Dan is a jewel in the roughBoosted Dan is a jewel in the roughBoosted Dan is a jewel in the roughBoosted Dan is a jewel in the roughBoosted Dan is a jewel in the roughBoosted Dan is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKYspdemon View Post
Yeah the repair as is would be <$1k. It'd be worth it, with how cheap he's selling the car. And what can I expect from a swap to the Japanese WRX motor? Cause that's the one in the car..I know it carries more standard HP, but does it take mods better or anything or would that all be similar?
If it the sti 2.0 ver 7 it would be worth buying the car for sure, other than that I don't think the wrx motor is to much different than the one we got. Can you post up the specs of the car so we can help you out more on if its a good buy or not because your not giving us much to go on.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
SloRice
4G63 > LSX

SloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to beholdSloRice is a splendid one to behold
Just buy a used one on nasioc....way cheaper.
SloRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #13
Boosted Dan
Turbo + AWD = the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRice View Post
Just buy a used one on nasioc....way cheaper.
Very true, they also have a thread that tells you everything you need(02-04 wrx) to get an sti trans in your car for around 3k.

Edit here's the link:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=872902

Btw sti 6speed next to a wrx 5speed

Last edited by Boosted Dan; 07-03-2009 at 11:38 AM..
Old 07-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
240Jeff
Riff raff

See that's what I was saying. Not buy a brand new transmission... Lol.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #15
noTe
1,000 posts club

noTe will become famous soon enoughnoTe will become famous soon enoughnoTe will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted Dan View Post
Very true, they also have a thread that tells you everything you need(02-04 wrx) to get an sti trans in your car for around 3k.

Edit here's the link:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=872902

Btw sti 6speed next to a wrx 5speed
He was lucky to find one that cheap though, usually takes someone selling one that they don't know what it is worth
noTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
Boosted Dan
Turbo + AWD = the best

Quote:
He was lucky to find one that cheap though, usually takes someone selling one that they don't know what it is worth
Its a lot easier than you think, this was a quick look on nasioc and found these

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786349
4900 04 full swap 30k miles

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1797436
3400 full swap 05 6speed 40k miles

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783464
V7 6speed non dccd 3500

These are full swaps not just the trans so I don't think he got all that lucky.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #17
VtecFreePrelude
Who cares what this says

VtecFreePrelude will become famous soon enoughVtecFreePrelude will become famous soon enoughVtecFreePrelude will become famous soon enoughVtecFreePrelude will become famous soon enough
arent the drive shafts different lengths between the sti and non sti? i remember being told that once by a wrx guy(i think)

you know there arent a lot of show out there that can segway from skull f*cking polar bears- jon stewart
VtecFreePrelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #18
Boosted Dan
Turbo + AWD = the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtecFreePrelude View Post
arent the drive shafts different lengths between the sti and non sti? i remember being told that once by a wrx guy(i think)
Yes because the sti tranny is longer, but the auto driveshaft out of a wrx will fit it.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:06 AM   #19
NKYspdemon
Hy-Brid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted Dan View Post
If it the sti 2.0 ver 7 it would be worth buying the car for sure, other than that I don't think the wrx motor is to much different than the one we got. Can you post up the specs of the car so we can help you out more on if its a good buy or not because your not giving us much to go on.
Sorry, been in Cumberland for a long weekend. But the engine is just the Japanese WRX motor, has 40 more horsepower than the American one. Its a 2003, 160k on body, 20k on motor, ??? on the clutch and tranny (which worries me...a lot). Comes with 2 sets of wheels and tires and a new 18g turbo ready to bolt on. Completely done for $6k
Old 07-07-2009, 03:01 AM   #20
Boosted Dan
Turbo + AWD = the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKYspdemon View Post
Sorry, been in Cumberland for a long weekend. But the engine is just the Japanese WRX motor, has 40 more horsepower than the American one. Its a 2003, 160k on body, 20k on motor, ??? on the clutch and tranny (which worries me...a lot). Comes with 2 sets of wheels and tires and a new 18g turbo ready to bolt on. Completely done for $6k
Doesn't sound bad at all really, the turbo can't really add to much to the car because you have to put it on yourself. I'm guessing the 2nd set of wheels are a winter setup? If you are looking into getting a 6speed that thread on nasioc I posted has all the info you need to do it with keeping your hubs, brakes and axles. If your looking to just rebuild the 5 speed I would ask tic who they would go to or if they do it.

The more I think about it I think it seems kinda high for an 03 with a bad trans, but I'm not to sure what they really go for anymore.