Attention Honda Gurus: - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Honda / Acura Discussions

Old 01-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
hksdsm11

hksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to hksdsm11
Attention Honda Gurus:
I have this 93 Honda Civic EX that I neglect greatly, and don't touch or fix anything unless it's broke. Don't even change the oil.

Lately, there has been some hesitation during low rpm, high load situations. Feels like your common misfire, and will clear and run fine as the load decreases. It has been intermittently hiccuping here and there in similar conditions for a while now, but is now much more severe.

Thinking the cap or rotor, or even the plugs. Plug wires are newer, haven't even looked at the plugs.

Basically, want to ask the Honda guys if there are any common issues like this, so maybe I can be pointed in the right direction. I don't want to waste any more time than needed on this.

Thanks!

Last edited by hksdsm11; 01-03-2011 at 02:29 PM..
hksdsm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Nati
Baller

Nati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to all
Way back in the day I had a honda acting like this and it was a pcv valve IIRC
Old 01-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Kevin Doe
Kevin Knows

Kevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to beholdKevin Doe is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Doe
wtf you don't even change the oil.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Speed Kills
SYR

Speed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Speed Kills
Usually the cap/rotor will yield that same random misfire all over the place. Though its so cheap to try, its worth a shot.

Chances are, you'l pull the cap, and find a bunch of the winding from the coil in the cap.

Happens all the time. Source a good used distributor, call it a day.

Last edited by Speed Kills; 01-03-2011 at 02:50 PM..
Speed Kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
BryanG
Ricer

BryanG is a jewel in the roughBryanG is a jewel in the roughBryanG is a jewel in the roughBryanG is a jewel in the roughBryanG is a jewel in the roughBryanG is a jewel in the roughBryanG is a jewel in the roughBryanG is a jewel in the roughBryanG is a jewel in the rough
also check the fuel filter. the car will bog under load when they're clogged.

they're like $15 and easy to change.

'93 Civic - She rowdy
'05 SRT7passenger - need a van? trades welcome!!
BryanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
Biturbowagon
Nazi Sled

Biturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to behold
oil is prob thicker than mud and causing your engine to be like WTF MATE?
Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
teddygram
STFU & GTFO

teddygram is a jewel in the roughteddygram is a jewel in the roughteddygram is a jewel in the roughteddygram is a jewel in the roughteddygram is a jewel in the roughteddygram is a jewel in the roughteddygram is a jewel in the roughteddygram is a jewel in the rough
My civic had the same symptoms and it ended up being the fuel filter.
teddygram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Nati
Baller

Nati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biturbowagon View Post
oil is prob thicker than mud and causing your engine to be like WTF MATE?
fosters?
Nati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 AM   #9
DSM4G63T_CHRIS
CSS regular

DSM4G63T_CHRIS is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DSM4G63T_CHRIS
Every 500$ beater I had never got an oil change just added oil..... ha Bryan I would shoot for a tune up like you said sounds like a misfire.
DSM4G63T_CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
ej1bmx
Haz 0 El Es Ex

ej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to beholdej1bmx is a splendid one to behold
Just sell that heap like you've been talking about since summer and upgrade!

But to me, it sounds like the muffler bearings may need some lube.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
hksdsm11

hksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of lighthksdsm11 is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the input guys.

I replaced the cap, rotor, and fuel filter last night, hoping for a quick/easy fix. No.

The hesitation is still there, but now I have a no start (very very hard start eventually) when the car sits over night.

Fuel pump is priming. Have no tools at my place to check for fuel at the rail, or spark when it doesn't start.

Any Honda ideas?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #12
dsmgod24
1,000 posts club

dsmgod24 is on a distinguished road
Should have replaced the whole distributor. I had a problem like this.

570awhp pump gas (old worn out engine)
New engine making great power.
dsmgod24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #13
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
its the coil, they start arcing out the side all the time, you don'[t need a whole dist.

The Zone has them for $70.

Throw on in there and I guarantee it will run like new.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #14
hksdsm11

Can I get that in writing? Lol.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #15
rush3969

rush3969 is infamous around these partsrush3969 is infamous around these parts
buddy your rotator splint is going bad you better just junk that heap.. hahahaha
rush3969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #16
Foowee

Foowee is on a distinguished roadFoowee is on a distinguished road
Did the coil fix it? Has the tach. been jumping?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #17
hksdsm11

Yes, replaced the coil yesterday, after it tested bad. Started right up.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #18
IllegalConcepts

IllegalConcepts has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Didn't read the thread but here ya go any ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by hksdsm11 View Post
Thanks for the input guys.

Fuel pump is priming. Have no tools at my place to check for fuel at the rail, or spark when it doesn't start.
Just depress the Schroeder valve on the rail with a screw driver after pump prime. If you get squirted than you is has fuel pressurez. It it dribbles out or not at all than you has no fuel pressurez.

If the car is stored outside, start troubleshooting for water in the fuel that is freezing.
IllegalConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote