EJ25 rebuilding? anyone have any experience? - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Subaru Discussions

Old 03-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
EJ25 rebuilding? anyone have any experience?
Picked up a couple Outbacks this week and the one I want to keep has a little rattle on startup. I have never split the case on a suby and need any tips from anyone who has been into them before.

Both need headgaskets and I have no problem doing them, been there done that. But I've never been into the bottom end.

I'm looking to do this in the hopes to save a little money, used engines with 120K+ miles go for $1000 and up. I hope to do rods and mains and re-ring for under that.

Here's what I'm looking at

Main Bearings- $140
Rod Bearings- $? dealer
Gasket set- $178
Rings- $? dealer
Oil pump- $123
Timing belt is new, I'll check idlers as needed

My idea is to have a "fresh" engine as opposed to a used one for nearly double the price that will probably have head gasket issues anyway.

Main questions are:

Are the rods accessible through the oil pan area or do the pistons go in the bottom of the cylinders?

Any special tools needed?

Anything that wears on these that I need to take note of?

I want to be prepared going in and not waste any time on stuff I didn't plan for.

Oh the engine I'm rebuilding has 100K on it. the other car with 190+ sounds better than this one :(

Last edited by Kisor; 03-18-2010 at 11:17 PM..
Kisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Metalheadinky
CSS newbie

Metalheadinky is on a distinguished road
Oh if you havent done this before. There a treat. I assume it doesnt have a turbo. Have you already torn down the original engine? And splitting the case is so not fun. Your going to need a special tool to pull out the wrist pins out of the pistons. I know I've done this before.
Metalheadinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
turninconcepts
CSS newbie

turninconcepts is on a distinguished roadturninconcepts is on a distinguished road
I've never used a special tool to pull the wrist pins. The easiest way is to knock them through from the other side with a long punch or screw driver. Much easier than trying to pull them out.

You have to split the case to get to the rods. The pistons come out first, then you split the case and remove the rods and bearings.

That price on bearings is expensive considering you can get ACL bearings for half that.

If you need a good price on the parts, let us know. We have many good relationships with dealers and could probably save you a good bit of money.

Tony
turninconcepts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
yea this car is already sold... thanks guys
Kisor is offline   Reply With Quote