Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > General Car Chat

Old 04-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
FrankTheTank
CSS newbie

FrankTheTank is on a distinguished road
Question about a 92 MR2
There's a 1992 Toyota MR2 (N/A) for sale near my house and I was wondering whether or not the engine in the N/A is the same engine in the turbo model? I'm hesitant to buy it if the engines are different, but if they are identical besides the turbo setup then I'm going to try everything to afford this car and just turbo it myself. The main thing I'm worried about is piston strength, but any info will help.
FrankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
240Jeff
Riff raff

240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to 240Jeff
No.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
FrankTheTank
CSS newbie

Ok thanks. Do you think it would still be worth it to get the car though? Or would I be stuck with another hopeless slow car?

Old 04-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
240Jeff
Riff raff

240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to 240Jeff
I mean you can always swap out the 5SFE engine (nonturbo) for the 3SGTE (turbo) engine. I really don't know how much work or cost that involves though.

Another option would be to turbo the 5SFE, but I haven't heard good things about it.

There are some MR2 guys on here that will probably chime in tomorrow that can give you a better idea.
240Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
FrankTheTank
CSS newbie

Ok. Thanks for the info
Old 04-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
TheDatsunKid
Common Sense My Anti-Rice

TheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really niceTheDatsunKid is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to TheDatsunKid Send a message via Yahoo to TheDatsunKid
I mean it's nothing an LSx won't fix.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
jfisher

jfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to jfisher Send a message via MSN to jfisher
Depends on the car and how much?

3SGTE swaps into NA's has been done probably a million times though. Nothing new and there is plenty of info out there on mr2oc.

2013 Cruze Eco 1.4T 6MT
1993 Mustang
2007 Yamaha R1
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
ursoboostd
1,000 posts club

ursoboostd is just really niceursoboostd is just really niceursoboostd is just really niceursoboostd is just really niceursoboostd is just really niceursoboostd is just really niceursoboostd is just really niceursoboostd is just really niceursoboostd is just really niceursoboostd is just really niceursoboostd is just really nice
You can get a full 3rd gen swap for less than $3500 these days. Bolt ons and you have a 275+rwhp car that is alot of fun. How much do they want for the MR2? Color, miles, condition, stock?
ursoboostd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
FrankTheTank
CSS newbie

It's a 92. It needs a new battery and new rotors, but the clutch has 1 or 2 thousand miles on it. They're asking $4900 for it. It's the price that KBB says, so I guess it's reasonable, but I'm not sure.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
FrankTheTank
CSS newbie

It's red with about 75,000 miles or so. Everything is stock. Looks like it's in great condition too
Old 04-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
jfisher

jfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of lightjfisher is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to jfisher Send a message via MSN to jfisher
$4900 is awfully close to decent turbo territory. There's one on mr2oc right now in VA for $3500.
jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:06 AM   #12
thatSchusterguy
n00b

thatSchusterguy will become famous soon enoughthatSchusterguy will become famous soon enoughthatSchusterguy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher View Post
$4900 is awfully close to decent turbo territory. There's one on mr2oc right now in VA for $3500.
^^^This, for $4900 the seller is not looking for a quick sale and that car better be MINT

Keep in mind that prices on a decent turbo model have dropped significantly within the last ~1yr so for around 5k can get you a decent factory turbo and not some unknown swap

FWIW my DD is a 92na and its the shit haha...fun as hell to drive even if it is slower than 95% of whats out there
Old 04-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #13
BruceLeeJKD
CSS regular

BruceLeeJKD has a spectacular aura aboutBruceLeeJKD has a spectacular aura aboutBruceLeeJKD has a spectacular aura aboutBruceLeeJKD has a spectacular aura aboutBruceLeeJKD has a spectacular aura aboutBruceLeeJKD has a spectacular aura about
I picked up a decent '91 Turbo for $3,800. Unless it is in absolutely mint condition I would try to get that price down a good bit.
BruceLeeJKD is offline   Reply With Quote