BMW people compare the new M3 to the 335i - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > BMW

Old 03-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Tuned200
Small Boost.

Tuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really nice
BMW people compare the new M3 to the 335i
I dont know much about these, other than we took an 335 out and I love the car. I know the M has more power, better suspension and brakes, and looks like sex on wheels, but is it worth the extra coin? From what I have read, 400whp out of a 335 is easy and fairly cheap. A guy on a forum posted his mod list and its this.

downpipes = 650
catback = 1400
home-made dual cone intakes = 110ish
PROcede = 1400 (although Rev 2 which is coming soon will only be 950)

Why would I want an m3 or why would I take the 335i over the m3. Thanks.

2006 Subaru Forester XT 5 Speed
2007 Subaru Forester STI 6 Speed
2008 Suzuki Blvd.
Tuned200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
GODSPEED
hug it out

GODSPEED can only hope to improve
I've researched these a ton. The brand new M3 is seriously, one of the best sports cars ever built...said by a ton of different people. Now, the new 335i is superior compared with the older style (04 05) M3.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
blundar
jackass of all trades

blundar is a jewel in the roughblundar is a jewel in the roughblundar is a jewel in the roughblundar is a jewel in the roughblundar is a jewel in the roughblundar is a jewel in the roughblundar is a jewel in the roughblundar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to blundar Send a message via AIM to blundar
I had a tiptronic 335i on the dyno last year. I think he had the vishnu chip not the one you mentioned. The car went from ~320ish to ~395ish with nothing other than the chip and exhaust.

I was impressed.
Zerolift: http://www.zeroliftautolab.com 5138742508
RIP Modular Depot.
blundar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
Rogue Vette
Compensating Mod

Rogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to allRogue Vette is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Rogue Vette
Both nice cars, but I say save the money and get the 335 over a new M3
Rogue Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
whitedime
Burnoffs

whitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to whitedime
As soon as you touch the ECU in that car the warranty is Voided period. From what I gather BMW has been pretty hardcore about it as well.

I would take the M, seems like every chode making 30k a year is driving a 335i, but then again it was the same case when I had my M3 and all the douches were rocking 330's LOL

whitedime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
gemballa996t
1,000 posts club

gemballa996t has a spectacular aura aboutgemballa996t has a spectacular aura aboutgemballa996t has a spectacular aura aboutgemballa996t has a spectacular aura aboutgemballa996t has a spectacular aura aboutgemballa996t has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to gemballa996t
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedime View Post
As soon as you touch the ECU in that car the warranty is Voided period. From what I gather BMW has been pretty hardcore about it as well.

I would take the M, seems like every chode making 30k a year is driving a 335i, but then again it was the same case when I had my M3 and all the douches were rocking 330's LOL
30k and driving a 335? don't think so, or i would have one
Old 03-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
whitedime
Burnoffs

whitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to whitedime
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemballa996t View Post
30k and driving a 335? don't think so, or i would have one
Why don't you just lie about it? That seems to work for you in every other case.

And yes you could afford one making 30k, keyword "making 30k" Especially living at home (which you do) Its a crazy $4xx a month car payment but then you probably need better than JD Byrider worthy credit to get approved.
whitedime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
notbob
CSS regular

notbob is infamous around these parts
Send a message via ICQ to notbob Send a message via AIM to notbob
umm dunno where u see a 335 for $400 a mo at?

if you do please let me know I'd like to trade in my lease for a brand new shiny one for even less to own it ;)

New M3 is a fail in the looks department due to the stupid hump.

335 major fault and it's huge = no real lsd rear end

Engine wise, 335 for the win, twin turbo sexiness and easy 400whp+

335 is cheaper on insurance

both eat tires are ridiculous rates, both use run flats which suck total balls

I've had my 335i for 40k miles now, and I have to say I still love the car as much as first day I drove it half a block before asking for the papers on it :)

I've had a '99 m3 before and honestly the m3 badging is just that, it's a badge. I don't see any reason to drop the extra 20k on an m3, I can afford them both and would choose a 335xi instead if I had to do it over again and was staying bmw. That being said I'm seriously considering an audi rs6 as my next nice car cause of how prices have come down :)
'91 MR2 Turbo
'95 Eagle Talon TSi (For Sale)
'97 Civic Ex (For Sale)

Pass Any Drug Test - 1-877-420-3386
http://www.detoxforless.com
notbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
Zerolift01
1,000 posts club

Zerolift01 has a spectacular aura aboutZerolift01 has a spectacular aura aboutZerolift01 has a spectacular aura aboutZerolift01 has a spectacular aura aboutZerolift01 has a spectacular aura aboutZerolift01 has a spectacular aura about
I have got to say that before i bought either the M3 or the 335i, i would seriously look
at a 135i.
I think that car's popularity will outgrow the new M Chassis ( besides the ability to have 4 doors ).
Yes there are warranty problems due to the factory datalog system, but if your plan is to buy it and Mod the thing anyhow, you probably don't care.

http://www.facebook.com/Zerolift
Zerolift01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:10 AM   #10
Tuned200
Small Boost.

Tuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really nice
I hate the looks of the 135.

From what I gather online comparing the new m3 to 335i is that you get a lot for the 20k price jump, suspension,brakes, better rear end, better tires and wheels, as well as the extra hp in stock form from the v8. I was put in my place by a subaru guy who works at a bmw dealership(not locally) when I bashed the new m with general comments like those above in this thread. So that's why I asked about differences.

Pam and I are thinking we are done with the lgt, and we have been looking at a few cars.

335i
370z(drove it yesterday, I fucking love it)
Solstice gxp

The pontiac is the cheapest, and a vert will will be fun but I hate the crap interior. The 370z is amazing, I like nearly everything about it minus the heavy price tag loaded with navi and big brakes. The335i is a sweet car, and also pricey with the options we want. So who know, we might end up keeping the lgt.
Tuned200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
iamadvs1
MMMMMM3

iamadvs1 is on a distinguished road
I've got an '08 M3 and have had a few problems. While my M3 problems are a story for another day, I do have some input on the whole 135i, 335i, M3 discussion. My local stealership has had my car more than me but I have gotten to drive some really nice loaners for extended periods of time.

One of the loaners I had for about 6 weeks was a 135i. Although it was an automatic this little puppy would run like stink. Powerful engine in a feather-weight car. What more could you ask for? One the down side, there is a reason that these little hot-rods are priced so low (for a BMW). They really skimped on the extras and the interior reminds me of a Honda or Toyota (ALL PLASTIC). They even skimped on the insulation so the thing rattled more than you would expect out of a BMW.

The second loaner I had for about 3 months was a 335i. It was also an automatic. Ran light a bat out of hell. The interior was up to BMW specs but for the price it should be. The 335i is not a bargain buy once you load it up with all the goodies. For just a little more and you've got an M3.

Both of these cars were very nice and were a joy to drive. However, upon returning them and leaving in my car, I was reminded as to why the M3 costs so much more. Nothing drives like it or handles like it. If you can afford one there is no contest - get one. One the other hand if you can't then get the 335i. You won't be unhappy and if get the auto you'll give a few manual transmission M3's a run for their money from light to light. If the 335i is out of your price range then get the 135i. Once again, you won't be disappointed. It's not be up to BMW standards in my opinion, but it sure as hell is better than most of the other sport cars out there.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
BTM

BTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to beholdBTM is a splendid one to behold
i have driven both, and you really cant compare an m3 to a 335i, even if the mods of a 335i bring hp up to the level of the m3.

driving a 335i is moderatly sporty, and decently quick, and is fun to drive.

driving an m3 was exhilarating. there is more of a race feel, its faster, and a blast to drive. the v8 sounds amazing too. its a completely different feeling car. it would be like going from a lancer to an evo to put it into comparison.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
Strictlyb
CSS newbie

Strictlyb is on a distinguished road
Ive driven every body style m3 and a 335i and 335xi... and as its been said you can boost the power up to the m3 level, but it still will not compare to the m3 because the whole chassis has been changed on the m3 and the suspension is far superior

...even my 95 m3 is faster than a stock 335... and handles a lot better because it is so much lighter... which is why the m3 gets the garage

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1266547733

Last edited by Strictlyb; 02-18-2010 at 09:50 PM..
Strictlyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #14
gemballa996t
1,000 posts club

gemballa996t has a spectacular aura aboutgemballa996t has a spectacular aura aboutgemballa996t has a spectacular aura aboutgemballa996t has a spectacular aura aboutgemballa996t has a spectacular aura aboutgemballa996t has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to gemballa996t
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedime View Post
Why don't you just lie about it? That seems to work for you in every other case.

And yes you could afford one making 30k, keyword "making 30k" Especially living at home (which you do) Its a crazy $4xx a month car payment but then you probably need better than JD Byrider worthy credit to get approved.
sorry i missed that buuuddy
gemballa996t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #15
9cobra4
Some say...

9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all
I've never driven a 335i, but my dad has a m3 and it is awesome! I love everything about it. Like I've gotten out of it and got into his gt500 and felt like I downgraded, obviously not power wise, but just the feel of the car, the gt5 is huge, and the bimmer feels just right.
9cobra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #16
iamadvs1
MMMMMM3

There is also the fact that you can change suspension stiffness on-the-fly in the M3. I don't think the 335i has it as an option. Not having the technology package on a car would be like peanut butter with no bananas (thank you, thank you very much).
iamadvs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #17
9cobra4
Some say...

9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all9cobra4 is a name known to all
Peanut butter with no bananas? Wtf?
9cobra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #18
sxShep
Hamster Assassin

sxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to beholdsxShep is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to sxShep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strictlyb View Post
Old 02-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #19
iamadvs1
MMMMMM3

It's an Elvis reference.
iamadvs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:46 AM   #20
Roca Fella Bryan
You Mad?

Roca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to allRoca Fella Bryan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamadvs1 View Post
I've got an '08 M3 and have had a few problems. While my M3 problems are a story for another day, I do have some input on the whole 135i, 335i, M3 discussion. My local stealership has had my car more than me but I have gotten to drive some really nice loaners for extended periods of time.

One of the loaners I had for about 6 weeks was a 135i. Although it was an automatic this little puppy would run like stink. Powerful engine in a feather-weight car. What more could you ask for? One the down side, there is a reason that these little hot-rods are priced so low (for a BMW). They really skimped on the extras and the interior reminds me of a Honda or Toyota (ALL PLASTIC). They even skimped on the insulation so the thing rattled more than you would expect out of a BMW.
People kill me when they say this. They act like the weight difference is so different between the two models when it really isn't. Just because the 1 series looks significantly smaller does not mean that its much lighter.

135i curb weight (lbs): 3,393

335i curb weight (lbs): 3,571

For an almost 200 pound difference, I'd much rather have a 335i which is a much better looking well equipped car. Also, when you option up even a 135i, they can get pretty damn expensive and you get the point when you might as well pick up the 3-series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotjunk View Post
You're part of Middletown now, pal. Keep it up and your profit percentage from our newest meth lab will be revoked.
Roca Fella Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote