Newb, just bought 97 EJ25D Legacy GT - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Car Specific Forums > Subaru Discussions

Old 05-07-2009, 02:18 AM   #1
Turbo_Mits
SlowCarCrew

Turbo_Mits is infamous around these partsTurbo_Mits is infamous around these partsTurbo_Mits is infamous around these partsTurbo_Mits is infamous around these partsTurbo_Mits is infamous around these partsTurbo_Mits is infamous around these parts
Send a message via AIM to Turbo_Mits
Newb, just bought 97 EJ25D Legacy GT
Okay, car info.

Subaru
Legacy GT (sedan)
automatic
Phase1 EJ25D
172,300 miles (original motor)

Okay, it runs well, doesnt seem to have any running issues. I dont know, and the previous owner of 1 year doesnt know if its had head gaskets done.

It has a somewhat minor oil leak, that has made its way onto the exhaust and I've smelled it only once. I've put 500+ miles of highway, city, longer distance, and offroading (minor) driving on her, without a single issue.

It seems to run just a tad rough at idle sometimes. It feels somewhat like having poly motor mounts but only every now and then.

It doesnt leak coolant, runs just below half way on the temp gauge at all times, even on long idle time, and 30 minutes in I71 rush hour. Hasnt used ANY coolant, AT ALL.

I'm wondering since the bottom of the motor is grungy, and it does have an oil leak its obviously had a while by the looks of the undercarrage. Do the head gaskets leak oil when theyre going according to the notorious issues I've read that these have? Most of what I read, says that the issues symptoms are always coolant related.

Any help would be great, it has new timing belt, water pump, radiator hoses, belts, oils been changed every 3000 religiously, and it feels absolutly great to drive.

Any help is great.

I have found the valve cover gaskets are deffinatly seaping oil as the seem where they bolt up is obviously wet, more wet than any other area under the car. Also, it hasnt put a drop on the ground over night NOR has the level gone down in 500 miles.

I'm giving this car to my sister and I need it to be reliable. Should I sell it and find something else? or would you trust it since I havnt had a real issue driving it 500+miles in 3 days?

She doesnt drive far, doesnt rev a car past maybe 2500rpm, and maintains them pefectly according to whatever the owners maual or Subaru will say. I let her borrow my Sentra for the past month and a half and she has put MAYBE 600 miles on it at the most.

Last edited by Turbo_Mits; 05-07-2009 at 02:30 AM..
Turbo_Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
Mike
Fat Ricer Admin

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mike
Older Subarus are champs. Tell her to pay attention to the oil level, and send her on her way. My good friend (symach on here) has an older outback for a beater, and you'd shit if you knew the things that car has made it through, all with over 200k miles.

RIP - Vinny, Hotrod, Ahmed, Blacklist...
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:48 AM   #3
Turbo_Mits
SlowCarCrew

Turbo_Mits is infamous around these partsTurbo_Mits is infamous around these partsTurbo_Mits is infamous around these partsTurbo_Mits is infamous around these partsTurbo_Mits is infamous around these partsTurbo_Mits is infamous around these parts
Thats good to hear! I'm going to replace every seal and gasket besides the rear main, and heads simply becasue I dont have time to go that deep before giving it to her. With that said, I'll make her keep an eye on the temp gauge, take it to her shop every 3k no matter what, and check the oil level at every fill up.

Any other advice would help no matter how small. Aside from obvious normal oil changes, coolant flushes, and tune ups.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Tugboat
CSS adict

Tugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of lightTugboat is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Older Subarus are champs. Tell her to pay attention to the oil level, and send her on her way. My good friend (symach on here) has an older outback for a beater, and you'd shit if you knew the things that car has made it through, all with over 200k miles.
Good lord he shithammers on that thing.
my car when its done all motor will at the slowest run a mid 10 i'll put my title on that. i'm not building a stock motor or a street legal car. i'm building a real 4 cyl not like most of the kids that think when you throw a gsr or a single in a car with some headers and a chipped ecu it's fast.

Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #5
Turbo_Mits
SlowCarCrew

I've been checking the coolant and oil daily... Today it was all good, levels were the same as they've been... Until... 5 Minutes ago. I got home, just as I pulled in, the temp guage had come up to just about half way (just slightly higher than usual). I was running the heater for the first time just as I was pulling onto my street. I shut it of quickly, both fans were running. I checked coolant and oil again for the 2nd time today... No visible coolant in the radiator, and the overflow was half empty. The oil is about 1/4-1/2 a quart low.

Its the first time I've seen a level change on ANY fluid in 700+ miles...

I think the head gasket(s) just got shit canned. No beating at all, nothing over 3000rpm, and no difference in distances.

I'll check more in the morning.

Fuck.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:16 AM   #6
whitedime
Burnoffs

whitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to whitedime
So I take it you traded the Del Sol for this thing? I have a 94 Prizm (Corolla) 40mpg 5-speed, interior is MINT. If your interested for your sister PM me

whitedime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:29 AM   #7
Turbo_Mits
SlowCarCrew

I cant, she lives in N.C. I took my Sentra down there for her for the time being, until I found her a diferent car. Shes been obliverating my clutch and motor mounts. A stick wont work. Needs to be automatic. Thats why I traded the S13 for the Del Sol, and the Del Sol for this.

Thanks though.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:33 AM   #8
Tuned200
Small Boost.

Tuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really nice
Headgaskets are a pita on these cars. I do know of a mechanic who might do these for a reasonable price. Common thing on all pre 2004 models is blown headgaskets.
Tuned200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
super70dsm
cunfuzd....

super70dsm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to super70dsm
ill do hg's calls for bout 9 hrs labor.. should have it done in a day or two if you wanted a cheap alternative to getting it fixed.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
240Jeff
Riff raff

240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to 240Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedime View Post
So I take it you traded the Del Sol for this thing? I have a 94 Prizm (Corolla) 40mpg 5-speed, interior is MINT. If your interested for your sister PM me
Uhhh. You mean Peter has a Prizm..
240Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
Tuned200
Small Boost.

Tuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by super70dsm View Post
ill do hg's calls for bout 9 hrs labor.. should have it done in a day or two if you wanted a cheap alternative to getting it fixed.
9 hrs labor? My buddy does them all day in 4-5 hrs. But then again he is a subaru mechanic

2006 Subaru Forester XT 5 Speed
2007 Subaru Forester STI 6 Speed
2008 Suzuki Blvd.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
whitedime
Burnoffs

whitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant futurewhitedime has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to whitedime
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Jeff View Post
Uhhh. You mean Peter has a Prizm..
Dickwad, you ever think I am maybe trying to help him sell it?
whitedime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
240Jeff
Riff raff

240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to 240Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedime View Post
Dickwad, you ever think I am maybe trying to help him sell it?
Just making sure.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
Turbo_Mits
SlowCarCrew

FALSE ALARM!!!

The retards that put the new radiator hoses on, must have forgotten the radiator side lower hose clamp. It was dangling, and the hose was 50% off the radiator. It never "overheated", it just rose the temp gauge 2 out of about 20 notches.

I re installed and tightened the hell out of both hoses, topped off and burped the system. TOUBLE FREE!

The oil level, was me in a panic thinking I'm gonna have to pull this motor. It was on an incline. Level hasnt changed.

All is well.

So, I crawled under the car and inspected around the head mating area. I read that they usually have external leaks on phase1 motors. Dry as a bone. I tested the coolant and theres no carbon deposits. So shes solid. It has an oil leak at the right bank valve cover seal, and a power steering high pressure line leak. The P/S leak seems to just be the copper washers because the line appears to be perfectly fine. I'm pretty sure on this becasue I've owed 2 dozen nissans 23 of which had High pressure line leaks. The P/S leak is the one making its way onto the exhaust as it drains down the timing cover and flys back while driving.

So FHEW!! I'm good.

Last edited by Turbo_Mits; 05-09-2009 at 09:10 PM..
Old 05-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #15
HighVolkage
SlowCarCrew

HighVolkage has a spectacular aura aboutHighVolkage has a spectacular aura aboutHighVolkage has a spectacular aura aboutHighVolkage has a spectacular aura aboutHighVolkage has a spectacular aura aboutHighVolkage has a spectacular aura about
Lol

Flickr
HighVolkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #16
Turbo_Mits
SlowCarCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVolkage View Post
Lol
Yeah...I know, right.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:11 AM   #17
super70dsm
cunfuzd....

super70dsm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to super70dsm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned200 View Post
9 hrs labor? My buddy does them all day in 4-5 hrs. But then again he is a subaru mechanic
oh i guarantee that but thats what the labor guide calls for thats all i always go by that just for a base figure most of the time it doesnt take half that but.. its just a safe cushion in case ya need it!
super70dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #18
Tuned200
Small Boost.

^I understand.