Who has experience with snow tires? - Page 2 - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > General Car Chat

Old 11-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #21
Mista Bone
Mistake Boner

Mista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to allMista Bone is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by noTe View Post
Snow tires are fine in the dry. More people need to realize the tires have a softer compound so they are fine driving in dry cold temps. Dry temps over 60 degrees... not so much.
Dpends if they are dual compound like the Blizzaks. The ones that came on my 91 Civic weren't dual compound. I ran them in the summer without issues other than they did grip a lot better. Only reason I ran them in the summer, they were 2/3's gone and knew they were toast, so I used them up!

Viking SnowTech's, were made by Continental.

Even when they were at 2/3 worn they still made it up Dixie Highway in Park Hills last winter. It was a sheet of ice and I just motored right up.

Last edited by Mista Bone; 11-09-2011 at 11:03 PM..
Mista Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #22
BlackCoupe

BlackCoupe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlackCoupe
Quote:
Snow tires are fine in the dry. More people need to realize the tires have a softer compound so they are fine driving in dry cold temps. Dry temps over 60 degrees... not so much.
Oh, so you've driven my car? I didn't realize you know me.

They squirm a lot more than a normal tire. There really isn't any way around it with all of the siping they have. I'm not saying they're dangerous, I just don't go blasting own winding roads with them.
BlackCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #23
noTe
1,000 posts club

noTe will become famous soon enoughnoTe will become famous soon enoughnoTe will become famous soon enough
Quote:
<div class="pre-quote">
Quote de <strong>noTe</strong>
</div>

<div class="post-quote">
<div style="font-style:italic">Snow tires are fine in the dry. More people need to realize the tires have a softer compound so they are fine driving in dry cold temps. Dry temps over 60 degrees... not so much.</div>
</div>Oh, so you've driven my car? I didn't realize you know me.<br>
<br>
They squirm a lot more than a normal tire. There really isn't any way around it with all of the siping they have. I'm not saying they're dangerous, I just don't go blasting own winding roads with them.
Snow tires are not suppose to be driven hard on dry roads. If you drive normal on dry cold days, the tires dont squirm. Sounds like you are racing on them or some crap.
noTe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #24
redmike
ginger

redmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to allredmike is a name known to all
I also used the Dunlop wintersports on my 350z. I drove 50+ miles a day and never got off if it snowed. I got "everywhere" I needed to go in the snow. I agree that any snow tire is better than no snow tire, but spend a bit and there is a lot better out there.
redmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #25
Kisor
I gots a Datsun

Kisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of lightKisor is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Snow tires are not suppose to be driven hard on dry roads. If you drive normal on dry cold days, the tires dont squirm. Sounds like you are racing on them or some crap.
I have to disagree to some extent on that one. I ran some cheap Firestone Winterforce in two different sizes on three different cars and they are defiantly squirmy just cruising down the highway. One being a 240SX, one a '97 Integra, and one a '99 626. Felt like you were driving on your fingertips and toes... I assume this was due to the deep tread and tall thin bits of rubber not connected to each other due to the siping. They never felt dangerous, actually dug in pretty good once you leaned on them but has about a 10* dead spot in the steering wheel.

On that note, they were great tires for $58? each.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Winterforce
Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #26
BlackCoupe

Quote:
Seriously man, do you have stock in Bridgestone or something? I don't understand why you're trying to say they don't squirm.

1: I have the tires

B: They squirm

III: I like them, and will still buy them again.

I've only driven on this set of snow tires, but they squirm. Others in this thread are saying the same thing about their tires.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #27
Carbon01GT
a.k.a. Badmeat

Carbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of lightCarbon01GT is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCoupe View Post
Seriously man, do you have stock in Bridgestone or something? I don't understand why you're trying to say they don't squirm.

1: I have the tires

B: They squirm

III: I like them, and will still buy them again.

I've only driven on this set of snow tires, but they squirm. Others in this thread are saying the same thing about their tires.
When did 'B' become a Roman numeral?

Last edited by Carbon01GT; 11-10-2011 at 10:30 AM..
Carbon01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #28
Biturbowagon
Nazi Sled

Biturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to behold
Blizzaks is what i hear from a lot of people. Havent tried them yet but heard they are awesome. Getting some for the wife this year.

Here is buddy in rs6 with blizzaks. seem to grip pretty damn good.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #29
charlie
Administrator

charlie is on a distinguished roadcharlie is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to charlie
Wow - thanks for all of the good information guys. I didn't realize so many people on here used them.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #30
Tuned200
Small Boost.

Tuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really niceTuned200 is just really nice
My Blizzacks were better than most since they were the LM25's and not he WS60 in dry and warmer weather. The car still felt loose in warmer temps but nothing dangerous.

2006 Subaru Forester XT 5 Speed
2007 Subaru Forester STI 6 Speed
2008 Suzuki Blvd.
Tuned200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #31
Fishey
CSS regular

Fishey is on a distinguished roadFishey is on a distinguished road
dunlop wintersport 3d or dunlop wintersport M3 are my choice for sports cars. They hold up great and they actually dig into packed snow and give you traction in deep snow. Then when its not snowing since we don't get alot of snow they are actually a good rain tire and half way respectable in the dry. (Not saying good but better then other snows for sure!) I would say better then most all seasons actually.

Last edited by Fishey; 11-10-2011 at 10:18 AM..
Fishey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #32
shdw on th sun
sarcasshole

shdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of lightshdw on th sun is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon01GT View Post
When did 'B' become a Roman numeral?

pretty sure it's from a movie... can't place the movie right now tho
Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #33
BlackCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdw on th sun View Post
pretty sure it's from a movie... can't place the movie right now tho
It is, but I can't remember which one either.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #34
Wolf13
1,000 posts club

Wolf13 has a spectacular aura aboutWolf13 has a spectacular aura aboutWolf13 has a spectacular aura aboutWolf13 has a spectacular aura aboutWolf13 has a spectacular aura about
From MI and went to school in northern MI. I ran blizzaks and as long as you take them off before it gets warm they wear just fine.
Wolf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #35
whis9

whis9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Wow - thanks for all of the good information guys. I didn't realize so many people on here used them.
+1, have to grab some for the subie this year
whis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #36
beefcake
CSS newbie

beefcake is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to beefcake
used to run the blizzaks on the lightning with some sand in the back, worked well

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - [email protected]!
Built By Finish Line Performance in Milford, OH, Engine by B.E.S.,
Visit http://www.teambeefcakeracing.com for the best deals on Roush, Stainless Works, Vortech, Paxton, & Race Star!
beefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #37
Joey
D-Bag Mode On!

Joey has a spectacular aura aboutJoey has a spectacular aura aboutJoey has a spectacular aura aboutJoey has a spectacular aura aboutJoey has a spectacular aura aboutJoey has a spectacular aura about
Already rocking mine on my Lexus.
I picked up the Blizzak's in late October and they've been on since.

I've had pretty good results with snow tires, even 265/35/18 snow tires on vehicles before so now I get them.

She's back.

Last edited by Joey; 11-12-2011 at 05:49 AM..
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #38
Shaggy 2 Dope
Banned

Shaggy 2 Dope is on a distinguished road
How much do you weigh?
Shaggy 2 Dope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #39
2007ShelbyCobra

2007ShelbyCobra is infamous around these parts2007ShelbyCobra is infamous around these parts2007ShelbyCobra is infamous around these parts2007ShelbyCobra is infamous around these parts2007ShelbyCobra is infamous around these parts2007ShelbyCobra is infamous around these parts2007ShelbyCobra is infamous around these parts2007ShelbyCobra is infamous around these parts2007ShelbyCobra is infamous around these parts
make sure they are mud and snow rated if your not a pussy and USE the car

Old 11-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #40
apocalypse
CSS Rep King

apocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant futureapocalypse has a brilliant future
Hey everybody, Potter drove a piece of fuck Taurus through a pile of mud! He's a badass!

Subscribe to my YouTube faggots...
http://www.youtube.com/user/apocalypse7011?feature=mhum
apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote